So can we admit the braking sucks?

MrRobot

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this wheel. But...compared to my msx the emergency braking is...well, bad. Definitely takes significantly more runway to stop. Combine that with a tendency to want to go even faster and you have a receipe for potential disaster. It can become quite dangerous with idiots running out in front of you on narrow streets. Really gotta be on top of your surroundings with this wheel. I've already had a couple close calls. 

How have you guys been managing with it? Maybe seated riding is a different story since you can literally pull back on the roll cage but I haven't tried it yet. 

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

I agree the feeling is that the breaks are a bit on the weaker side. I do believe it comes down to practicing and getting to know the wheel. Be careful not to stand to far out on the pedals, they are long so if you stand far out it will be more difficult to brake. The breaks are alot easier to apply while sitting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

Are you using any power pads? I’ve grown accustomed to the ones that comes with the wheel and actually love it. Can accelerate very fast and brake very hard with them. I have not had any issues with braking distance. Combined with the roll bar and pulling back, braking is not an issue. Never rode an msuper series of wheels so can’t compare.

Yes I have kuji pads on mine and it definitely helps. But I still feel like I REALLY need to crank it back to stop quickly. 

13 minutes ago, zege said:

I agree the feeling is that the breaks are a bit on the weaker side. I do believe it comes down to practicing and getting to know the wheel. Be careful not to stand to far out on the pedals, they are long so if you stand far out it will be more difficult to brake. The breaks are alot easier to apply while sitting.

I'm using Nikola pedals, didn't like how skinny the stock pedals were. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can brake just fine. Just lean back and grip the pads.

I suspect the people who can't brake well may be smaller people that might have trouble getting leverage on such a massive wheel. I'm 6'-3" and 240-LBS and I can control the wheel like a dream, including braking hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bridgeboy said:

I can brake just fine. Just lean back and grip the pads.

I suspect the people who can't brake well may be smaller people that might have trouble getting leverage on such a massive wheel. I'm 6'-3" and 240-LBS and I can control the wheel like a dream, including braking hard. 

I'm 200 pounds and 6 foot. I got real pads and it definitely helps so maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Still not on par with the msuper series but it's acceptable with proper pads they make a big difference.

Cobra jump pads rock! 

Screenshot_20200923-010223_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

I'm 200 pounds and 6 foot. I got real pads and it definitely helps so maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Still not on par with the msuper series but it's acceptable with proper pads they make a big difference.

Cobra jump pads rock! 

Screenshot_20200923-010223_Chrome.jpg

Can you provide links for your power pads and Cobra jump pads?

PS: I like the matching black couch in the background. You obviously bought it to match your Sherman with black leather pads...  :D

Edited by Bridgeboy

4 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

Can you provide links for your power pads and Cobra jump pads?

PS: I like the matching black couch in the background. You obviously bought it to match your Sherman with black leather pads...  :D

Ha. Be prepared to pay a premium. They're from Russia. Gotta buy them off a guy on telegram via PayPal. Here's his contact info 

Screenshot_20201017-163428_Telegram.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

With some practice, and with sidepads I have no problems at all with braking anymore. And sure pulling the front bar is a bit like a handbrake, that was actually kind of easy to learn in the beginning. The breaks are good enough for agile high speed off roading.

Do people try various techniques for braking beyond just tilting? It seems weird to me as if people think it is all in the ankles. I'm used to moving my weight around — like as a cyclist when I want to make an emergency stop I will throw my weight as far back over the rear wheel as I can and really squeeze those brakes hard.

Same thing on the EUCs - you can beast them if you need to. The Sherman I don't just brake by leaning I kinda move my body so that the wheel is thrown forward as I pendulum back and behind it, and sort of sit down as I do it. That's my way to stop in a hurry anyway!

• Like 3

Personal observation - the Sherman weighs 30lbs more than the average 18-20" wheels currently on the market. That is more mass to stop regardless. Not a performance issue, it would suggest that riders are not adapting to different types/classes of wheels that are available today. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

Word to the wise - 

The chit stop position can lead to reverse overlean/cut-out.

I have fallen off of the back of a wheel trying to reverse lean / butt drop stop aggressivley (while moving forward).

It does not feel good to bounce off of your wheel via t-spine LOL.

Much respect to those who have mastered the technique!

On 2/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, gon2fast said:

Personal observation - the Sherman weighs 30lbs more than the average 18-20" wheels currently on the market. That is more mass to stop regardless. Not a performance issue, it would suggest that riders are not adapting to different types/classes of wheels that are available today. Sorry.

However, riders don’t have to tilt a heavy wheel any more than they do a light wheel. The additional power a heavy wheel requires isn’t on the rider or the rider’s lean. You only displace your own weight in relation to the tire diameter, which is what the wheel tries to compensate for.

I still haven’t been able to try the Sherman, but when I had the Sherman tire on my MSX, the larger tire diameter made it quite a bit slower to accelerate and brake. I’m sure the Sherman’s braking is in line with any other wheel with the same tire, the riding mode being the only thing making a difference.

If you want easier braking (and acceleration) on any wheel, set it on a softer riding mode.

• Like 2

I find the braking is excellent. It takes power pads to really get the force out of it, but my sherman stops faster than my 18L for sure. Im a mere 125-130lbs and I can stop much easier than I am able to control it at slow speeds. 80 freaking pounds is just a lot of damn weight for tiny legs. Merely standing still is a chore too.