Splitting the private sales second hand sales section between regions

Splitting the private sales second hand sales section between regions  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's a good idea to split the private sales second hand section between regions to make it easier to find euc's in your region?

• Yes
    • No

Hi!

I had a bit of a suggestion for the second hand section, I found that it's quite hard to find wheels in your region if you're not from the US. Since most of the listings are from there. Would it be an idea to split the section into regions, making it easier to find EUC's within reasonable distance for picking up and shipping?

Thanks for considering!

Edited by Mito
  • Like 3

@/Dev/Null I agree that'd be really cool, but then we would rely on everyone filling in the location. Considering that half the titles in that section don't contain the location, even though this is asked it'll probably be really hard to make it accurate and a lot of wheels will not show up because the poster failed to enter the location. My suggestion would be to split them based on continent as shipping within a continent is generally reasonable in regards to waiting time and cost.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

Maybe a better idea would be to have af ilter that show me "wheels for sale within x miless/km of me..." ?

The forum doesn't support that.

It would probably end up being "Private Sales (Europe and Rest of the World)" and "Private Sales (North America)". Or maybe a 3 way split (Europe, NA, Rest).

How would you guys do it?

• Like 2

@/Dev/Null Fair points, I might have been looking at it from a bit too much of a European perspective. It's definitely a good idea to look at the demographic of the forums, no point in setting up a Latin America section if almost all euc riders there are on different Spanish language forums. I'd say Europe, United States, Canada, Australia/New Zealand and rest of the world. If there ends up being a need for more we can always add them later.

Maybe it's because i'm not looking for a new secondhand wheel in my region - but i do not really get the advantage of splitting the forum in subforums.

For the whole september it's less than three pages in my browser. About the same for august.

On the first page the posts go actually back to September 25th - almost a week.

So if one looks for new announcments within a week one has to look at just one page (mostly).

So private sales is not that real high trafic subforum - i miss the sense in splitting up and forcing users to click for one more hierachical level...

What i noticed is that quite some posts there are without the location in the title (now for example 8 out of 22 on the first page).

They make it hard to locate an offer interesting to one - one has to open the topic and read the post to eventually get the location...

• Like 1

A lot of people from Canada seem to ask about US wheels.

The idea of the split is visibility. To make it easier to find a wheel that is (potentially) available to you. No need to split it into who knows how many pieces. Essentially just splitting off the NA stuff from the rest should be enough, shouldn't it? As the first post says:

22 hours ago, Mito said:

I found that it's quite hard to find wheels in your region if you're not from the US. Since most of the listings are from there.

Well as a Canadian, I can understand why people would still be curious about US wheels. It is hard to find Canadian postings especially with many people not properly putting location in the top search, I still think a sub-forum for each major region would be a great idea, because it would let me search for new activity in Canada first, than could continue further on in listings if I wish to search outside of Canada. I think it would make things easier, but for Canadians wishing to sell their wheel even to US customers, it would create a small pool issue where they may want to post to a larger US audience.

Bottom line, for my case, of looking for Canadian listings, it would help, but generally if people titled their posts better, Its not that hard to sift through and find them.

I like the current setup. If people would just put the location in their wheel title, it wouldn't be a big deal. Of course, youll get people that are willing to buy/sell between conitinents, so  a perspective buyer may want to know what wheels are out there, altogether. I think we should split it up in two parts. Euc's that are for sale on planet Earth, and those that are from another world. :thumbup:  Seriously, I agree with @Chriull . With the amount of pages I go thru for random bullshit, its not that big a deal for me to see 1 or two pages of sales. Hell, I like to see what other people are buying/selling/paying everywhere. Its not too hard to set up noticifactions, so..... why make this more difficult on everyone to categorize, maintain, and post? Forcing me to browse multiple headers is increasing the pages and clicks aint it? Honestly, people cant even get the simple format we have right, do we think it will work better by adding another layer of effort/thought? At what point do the mods become involved to try and clean it/fix it, after it doesnt work for shit? Also, this isnt a 'for sale' or 'for profit' forum. I'd think that the LESS involved the for sale section is = less libility for the staff here. Just my not so humble opinion, but we can barely keep it working now, adding pieces won't help. Hell, come to think of it. I didnt even put the country, in my recent sales post. Point proven... there are tards everywhere, I see one when I pass by a mirror, all the time.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Perhaps a anarchistic take on getting the message across, have a sticky saying Posts without location in title will be removed without warning.  If that happened a while everyone would learn. :)

• Like 2

Honestly, it would be enough if the Private Sales had specific required fields like Country and City, but I'm not sure if this is possible in this Forum. (also being able to filter by these fields would be great too).

Otherwise, for sure posts with no location in the title will continue because, well, ppl are ppl.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2