The 'art' of the reported news story

Bob Eisenman

9-30-20 photo update:

I rode to the public boat ramp just east of the Kernwood Ave bridge (mentioned in the news story) and took photos of the unique windowed building that I've asserted is seen behind the news photo of the burning boat. With a long lens the depth perception is tricky as seen in both the stills and the panorama shown here.

Veterans bridge to Kernwood Ave bridge panorama

Building in background of burning boat news story

IMG-3648.jpg

2020-09-30-09-19-50-2.jpg

******* End of update *******

A couple of days ago the morning news aired a boat fire story which occured at 9pm the night before , a few miles from where I live.

Screenshot-20200930-082932.png

https://www.wcvb.com/article/boat-goes-up-in-flames-on-danvers-river-in-beverly-massachusetts/34199366

The Danvers river as a waterway connects the Atlantic ocean to the Dancers yacht club a mile or so inland. It flows through Beverly harbor, a mix of commercial and pleasure boat docks, and passes beneath three distinct bridges:

1_The Veterans Memorial bridge (relatively new vaulting type bridge)

Adjacent to

2_the MBTA commuter rail bridge (moveable swing type section)

Screenshot-20200930-090528-2.png

3_the Kernwood Ave bridge (older swing type section

Boating on the North shore

The news reports read that a boat fire occured on the Danvers river on the 'Beverly side of the Kernwood Ave' bridge. The boat owner was in his dingy at the end of a dock.

There is a public boat ramp along Kernwood Ave. There are no multi window structures matching the news photo close to the Kernwood Ave Bridge.

I take the MBTA commuter rail occasionally and just the other day was riding over the Veteran's Memorial bridge where a lobsterman on a small boat waved from his helm to me as he hauled in a half dozen yellow lobster traps on the stern of the boat below the bridge.

Elsewhere, Marblehead harbor public dock posted that the boat docks close Oct. 19. for the season.

I rode the commuter rail yesterday over the MBTA commuter rail bridge. On the Beverly side of the river, a stones throw from the MBTA commuter rail bridge, a new construction building possessing the distinct window structure seen in the news report, was seen.

2020-09-30-09-19-50.jpg

So....yeah........the news story stating that the boat fire (red dot in graphic) occured on the 'Beverly side of the Kernwood Ave. Bridge'.

2020-09-30-08-41-26.jpg

This news story and the unannounced departure of a (new 9 month tenure) TV (7) news anchor from the morning news earlier in 2020, only to surface (unaffiliated with news/job) in Instagram

near her childhood home in Santa Barbara, CA a few weeks ago, remind me that there may be sensitivities in news reporting that escape the public's scrutiny and point of view. BTW she chats with someone about 'Saugus coffee mug', from a well known place (Saugus Cafe?) in the Los Angeles area (?), also the name of a town in suburban Boston (Saugus , MA) with no such coffee affiliations.

Edited by Bob Eisenman