16X Troubleshooting & Questions for Newbies

mploy1515

Hi everyone!

First post here, and glad to know there's such a strong community!

Brief introduction before I get into it: I'm a fresh EUC newbie, and my very first wheel to learn on is the KS-16x. I'm aware it's quite an advanced (and heavy) wheel to learn on, but overall it's been a short, but rewarding journey. I've had ownership for about 4 weeks now, and although I haven't had time to practice every day, I've put in a good dozen or so practice sessions / runs now. It's amazing what I've learned along the way, and it's been physically and even mentally rewarding. And being 39, going into my 40's, it's great to find a new and surprising hobby to get me outdoors. Like a lot of new riders I can imagine, I've been obsessed, immersing myself with YouTube EUC tutorials for help and guidance along the way, as us noobs need all the help we can get. Learning how to ride has been completely discouraging at first, and has put quite a number on my shins and ankles. However, now I'm reliably mounting, cruising, turning, and loving every second on I'm it. I'm at the level now to where I'm focusing on mastering control and carving / dips, etc. I've also learned along the way what a lot of tutorials don't tell you: Learning how to ride is not just about technique you can watch from a video, but rather building confidence and muscle memory; these are the two aspects you have to build, I've learned, that you simply can't absorb from watching a video.

Anyways -- long story short, specifics I've learned from riding the KS-16x:

The app is pretty bad. It's things like connecting to it via BT, confirming settings, calibrations, etc etc. that have my scratching my head wondering if it's 1) the shitty app, or 2) if something is 'broken' from one of the many falls this wheel took while I was learning how to ride.

For example -- the 1st and 2nd alarm beeps -- I've never once ever heard those. Am I missing something? I heard the 3rd 'please decelerate' audible alarm, but zero prior 'beeps' from speeds. What gives?

Also, there's things like a pretty loud 'buzzing' when I charge sometimes, that has me, again, wondering if I damaged something on one of my many falls, or if this is simply a known characteristic of the wheel?

Anyways -- whatever insight the community can provide would be great. It's clearly such a robust and strong wheel, but the software / app unreliability has me questioning a lot of things.

I have at least a handful of other random questions, but let's start here...

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Hi, there are some (long) interesting threads about the 16X and I'm sure that you will find all the answers you are probably looking for. 

Of course you can save yourself reading and do something better in your time and let others do the work for you to answer every question, but I would prefer to read myself first. There you are guaranteed to find things you would not have asked for. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buell47 said:

Hi, there are some (long) interesting threads about the 16X and I'm sure that you will find all the answers you are probably looking for. 

Of course you can save yourself reading and do something better in your time and let others do the work for you to answer every question, but I would prefer to read myself first. There you are guaranteed to find things you would not have asked for. :)

Thanks! Any suggestions on how to find those specific threads, since im new here?

Shall I just type "beeps" into the search bar? haha

If you could point me to that, it would help -- thanks!

Another "issue" I've noticed, is forward-pedal dipping as I'm riding.

Usually the KS will seemingly correct itself, with the pedals becoming horizontal again after a minute or so, but there's some rides where it stays slightly forward for quite some time, and I actually have to speed to my limit, just to engage the tilt-back to correct the forward-dipping.

Anyone notice this too? Obviously this can become quite dangerous, and is not the most reassuring...

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This is not unique to the KS-16x, but just in general for riding:

This is BUGGING the absolute hell out of me, and it's a "newbie" sort of phenomena (I think?), bit I have about 400 miles on my wheel now, and am firmly "intermediate" level, I would like to think...

But do any of you have issues when riding cement (or asphalt sometimes), and hitting the PERFECT vertical, straight-line seam / expansion joint, to where your wheel gets LOCKED in, and it throws off your balance, forcing you to crash? And I'm not really talking about bad potholes, but just when you're gliding along.

It's not like this happens to me all the time, but it's happened at least 2-3x now, including tonight when I was riding. It's just extremely frustrating, because I haven't fallen or had to drop my wheel in over a dozen practice sessions, but when riding tonight on the sidewalk, I unintentionally rode right on top of one of these expansion joints that was wide and deep enough to where my wheel just LOCKED in and I was forced to hop off the wheel, and almost fell. I was probably cruising at just 10-12 mph.

Is this a slow-speed thing or what? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It's the most uncomfortable feeling when this happens! And like I said, I've only had this happen about 3x now (to where I crashed) but I've had at least a handful of "close ones" to where I was able to correct myself at least.

It's happened enough to where I'm definitely conscious of it, but I just absolutely hate it hahah.

After feeling I'm finally at an intermediate stage with my wheel, it's random crap like this that totally brings down my confidence level!

And as us EUC riders know, a huge part of successfully riding is simply confidence.

Any tips or insight anyone?

Edited by mploy1515

1 hour ago, mploy1515 said:

This is not unique to the KS-16x, but just in general for riding:

This is BUGGING the absolute hell out of me, and it's a "newbie" sort of phenomena (I think?), bit I have about 400 miles on my wheel now, and am firmly "intermediate" level, I would like to think...

But do any of you have issues when riding cement (or asphalt sometimes), and hitting the PERFECT vertical, straight-line seam / expansion joint, to where your wheel gets LOCKED in, and it throws off your balance, forcing you to crash? And I'm not really talking about bad potholes, but just when you're gliding along.

It's not like this happens to me all the time, but it's happened at least 2-3x now, including tonight when I was riding. It's just extremely frustrating, because I haven't fallen or had to drop my wheel in over a dozen practice sessions, but when riding tonight on the sidewalk, I unintentionally rode right on top of one of these expansion joints that was wide and deep enough to where my wheel just LOCKED in and I was forced to hop off the wheel, and almost fell. I was probably cruising at just 10-12 mph.

Is this a slow-speed thing or what? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It's the most uncomfortable feeling when this happens! And like I said, I've only had this happen about 3x now (to where I crashed) but I've had at least a handful of "close ones" to where I was able to correct myself at least.

It's happened enough to where I'm definitely conscious of it, but I just absolutely hate it hahah.

After feeling I'm finally at an intermediate stage with my wheel, it's random crap like this that totally brings down my confidence level!

And as us EUC riders know, a huge part of successfully riding is simply confidence.

Any tips or insight anyone?

practice carving in very small amounts. Asphalt around here does the same thing and its hard to see where/when it will happen. Firstly I've learned to not over-react. Secondly, I tend to do a little bit of carving to keep me crossing lines rather than being forced to follow them. I think you will get less prone to them being an issue, as you travel more. If you get nervous and over-react or slow down, it could make it worse. Whatever it is you are doing that has caused you crash more than once, perhaps evaluate what you did and try to do something else next time? As with a bicycle, you want ot avoid running parallel in grooves and to try cross tracks at angles.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

practice carving in very small amounts. Asphalt around here does the same thing and its hard to see where/when it will happen. Firstly I've learned to not over-react. Secondly, I tend to do a little bit of carving to keep me crossing lines rather than being forced to follow them. I think you will get less prone to them being an issue, as you travel more. If you get nervous and over-react or slow down, it could make it worse. Whatever it is you are doing that has caused you crash more than once, perhaps evaluate what you did and try to do something else next time? As with a bicycle, you want ot avoid running parallel in grooves and to try cross tracks at angles.

Seriously, thanks for the encouragement and tips, that helps.

That's the thing, its hard to know when it'll happen sometimes, especially when riding at night. During the day, if I'm going slow enough, I always try and be conscious of this and go around or mini-carve.

The killer is when it's just totally unpredictable when you're cruising and looking straight ahead. I think you're right though, maybe focus more on mini-carving on my next practice sessions, and learning how to react better with uncomfortable and sudden imbalances.

I'm gonna go back during the day to find that very groove, and ride on it again haha -- at least im determined, and that's what you need to ride these damn wheels! haha

• Like 1

Another thing to consider is tire pressure. Having a high pressure, will make the tire have less contact with the road.

A thin strip of contact patch will fall easier into grooves. (think of racing bikes)

Try a lower pressure to leverage your 3 inch wide wheel :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mploy1515 said:

This isn't unique to EUCs. Bike riders have been avoiding these for decades/centuries. Never cross ridges/bumps/grooves/etc at a shallow angle, and you're talking about a shallow angle of 0°.

EUC world is the app for me. Does everything and more the ks app provides.

The beeping. That's interesting, I had never heard it beep before re: speed limits... And suddenly a few days ago it started to beep. I figured something was really wrong until I realized it was just doing the speed limit beeps. *Shrug*

The buzzing when charging I guess is the fan? I've never heard the fan go on mine though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crooznfbroozn said:

EUC world is the app for me. Does everything and more the ks app provides.

The beeping. That's interesting, I had never heard it beep before re: speed limits... And suddenly a few days ago it started to beep. I figured something was really wrong until I realized it was just doing the speed limit beeps. *Shrug*

The buzzing when charging I guess is the fan? I've never heard the fan go on mine though.

Odd...

Kingsong got back to me finally, and said the 'buzzing' is most likely the fan, but still nothing conclusive. They're very short on communications, and took weeks just to get that out of them.

The 'beeps', or lack thereof, I'll need to open up the wheel and check the connection. They said if that doesn't work, I'll have to re-solder it on, which im not prepared to do hahah. Might just forget it if that's the case. Clearly some riders don't like the beeps anyways, but still...

Beeps. Seems to me that when I had the voice prompts enabled, there were no beeps. Only “please slow the fire truck down”. Turning off the voice nag and now I get 1 beep for first limit, then two and I haven’t gone past that yet.

mine doesn’t buzz while charging but that isn’t helpful nor does it gain a forward tilt but again, sample of 1.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bcarp said:

This isn't unique to EUCs. Bike riders have been avoiding these for decades/centuries. Never cross ridges/bumps/grooves/etc at a shallow angle, and you're talking about a shallow angle of 0°.

I never said this was unique to EUC's.... but let's face it, the probability of this happening on a bike is far less.

But -- we are in an EUC-only forum though, right? Just sayin...

On 9/28/2020 at 2:15 AM, mploy1515 said:

For example -- the 1st and 2nd alarm beeps -- I've never once ever heard those. Am I missing something? I heard the 3rd 'please decelerate' audible alarm, but zero prior 'beeps' from speeds. What gives?

I don't use those, I'd rather rely on EUC World's alarms, which play through my in-helmet headset so I'm sure I won't miss then. But, if you're inclined to use them, what have you set them to in the app? 

On 10/20/2020 at 6:26 AM, mploy1515 said:

But do any of you have issues when riding cement (or asphalt sometimes), and hitting the PERFECT vertical, straight-line seam / expansion joint, to where your wheel gets LOCKED in, and it throws off your balance, forcing you to crash?

Wheels with wider tires tend to do that more, and the 16X having a 3" wide tire is no exception. Lowering the pressure a little will help, the higher the pressure, the more it'll do it. How much do you weigh and what pressure do you run?

13 hours ago, mploy1515 said:

Kingsong got back to me finally, and said the 'buzzing' is most likely the fan, but still nothing conclusive. They're very short on communications, and took weeks just to get that out of them.

If you could record and post a short video or audio clip of the buzzing, it'll be easier to pinpoint whether it's "normal" or not :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

I don't use those, I'd rather rely on EUC World's alarms, which play through my in-helmet headset so I'm sure I won't miss then. But, if you're inclined to use them, what have you set them to in the app? 

Wheels with wider tires tend to do that more, and the 16X having a 3" wide tire is no exception. Lowering the pressure a little will help, the higher the pressure, the more it'll do it. How much do you weigh and what pressure do you run?

If you could record and post a short video or audio clip of the buzzing, it'll be easier to pinpoint whether it's "normal" or not :)

- I have my first two alarms set at something like, 15 mph, then 20 mph -- currently the 3rd, and only audible "please decelerate" alarm is at 25 mph.

- my pressure is set to 35 psi, and i weigh 165 lbs; 160 on a good day haha. Any suggestions? After I break it in, I feel like im more comfortable at around 30 psi, assuming this is what it drops to. When I first ride at 35 psi, I like how 'sharp' it feels, but do notice it a tad more squirrelly when im riding, and have to be a little more careful on carves / dips, etc.

Edited by mploy1515