New brake and turn lights

Willy510

54 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

Use WS2812 5v pixels , you'll need 20 of them. I use the 100/meter version , there are other densities available too from 144/meter to 60/meter. 

It is one continuous circuit of 3 wires.

Facing the rear of the wheel you start at #1 pixel at the top and solder the wires from the plug and at the bottom of that strip you solder 3 wires that go over to the other strip and are attached at the bottom of that strip which is #11 and #20 is on top of that strip.  Pay attention to the arrows on the pixels strips, the one one the left points down and the right one points up. 

Good stuff, thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking into adding some daytime running lights with a pair of daylight-balanced strip of LEDs running parallel to the wheels in the front, powered most likely by tapping in with the rear lamps. The lights will turn on and off as you normally would turn off the rear lights by briefly pressing the power button.

I was hoping as more people get their Shermans, more mod instructions pop up on the internet but so far not much in way of detailed how-tos. This thread is a good start but unfortunately my level of electronics know-how is limited so what I've read so far it might as well be written in Russian. :lol:

Looking to add USB/USB-C charging ports but this is another project for another day.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I'm looking into adding some daytime running lights with a pair of daylight-balanced strip of LEDs running parallel to the wheels in the front, powered most likely by tapping in with the rear lamps. The lights will turn on and off as you normally would turn off the rear lights by briefly pressing the power button.

I was hoping as more people get their Shermans, more mod instructions pop up on the internet but so far not much in way of detailed how-tos. This thread is a good start but unfortunately my level of electronics know-how is limited so what I've read so far it might as well be written in Russian. :lol:

Looking to add USB/USB-C charging ports but this is another project for another day.

Something like I made for the front? Stock rear light is a 5v pixel array and the front is 12v with 2 outputs. 

• Like 1

Finished up what I thought would be the final version of the flexible lens brake and turn signals and they turned out great but then my symmetrical OCD kicked in once I noticed that the red light function wasn't even under all circumstances so back to the drawing board and I'm moving the brake function to the rear fender and going to switch the side light to just turn function and all orange. Second pic is just the new rear flexible lens that will get molded into the flexible rear fender reprint. 

rearturnstop.jpg

newrearbrake.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, Willy510 said:

Fender turned out pretty nice, now on to the wiring and soldering 

IMG_20201020_212926884.jpg

I can't help but make the observation that you enjoy moding your wheel more than riding it. I mean, that's great and is in no way a criticism.

But just look at your tire; it's like brand new. Props to you for your awesome mods! :thumbup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

I can't help but make the observation that you enjoy moding your wheel more than riding it. I mean, that's great and is in no way a criticism.

But just look at your tire; it's like brand new. Props to you for your awesome mods! :thumbup:

I'm not able to ride much presently 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

Pretty much done with the light now with the new rear fender and turn signals and the new dual front lights and "Bender" lighted front bumper/stand 

QASxDcQ.jpg

6PQnwti.jpg

You are the ultimate Sherman Modder! :thumbup:

On 11/1/2020 at 8:45 PM, Willy510 said:

Pretty much done with the light now with the new rear fender and turn signals and the new dual front lights and "Bender" lighted front bumper/stand 

QASxDcQ.jpg

6PQnwti.jpg

hello,

This looks fantastic! would it be possible for you to share your 3D print files for these modifications? via thingiverse or something similar?

many thanks in advance :) 

6 hours ago, Jollyonatron said:

hello,

This looks fantastic! would it be possible for you to share your 3D print files for these modifications? via thingiverse or something similar?

I put some of the basic stuff on thingiverse, probably won't put the lighted stuff up, there are over 300 solder points in the rear light alone and it's a bit complex to explain

16 hours ago, Willy510 said:

I put some of the basic stuff on thingiverse, probably won't put the lighted stuff up, there are over 300 solder points in the rear light alone and it's a bit complex to explain

thankyou, thats really appreciated :) I may have missed it but i was tryin to find a link to the double front head lights that you've added to your sherman they look really good i was wondering where there from?

cheers

Jolyon

On 10/13/2020 at 10:53 PM, Willy510 said:

Something like I made for the front? Stock rear light is a 5v pixel array and the front is 12v with 2 outputs. 

These are cool.

Were there no lights that fit in the frame recesses either side of the tyre?

On 11/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, Jollyonatron said:

hello,

Man, these look crazy good.

3 minutes ago, Wild Caribou said:

I'm curious to know how you are powering all those lights. External (battery bank) or internal power from the wheel?

The EUC is a giant battery pack; he's powering it from the EUC. You can tell he has it wired to the system because the left and right lights know to light up when the wheel leans one way of the other...the same way the turn signals work on the stock "superman" brake light.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

The EUC is a giant battery pack; he's powering it from the EUC. You can tell he has it wired to the system because the left and right lights know to light up when the wheel leans one way of the other...the same way the turn signals work on the stock "superman" brake light.

I see that now. Thank you

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jollyonatron said:

thankyou, thats really appreciated :) I may have missed it but i was tryin to find a link to the double front head lights that you've added to your sherman they look really good i was wondering where there from?

cheers

Jolyon

"handster LED " from Amazon

On 11/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, HippoPig said:

These are cool.

Were there no lights that fit in the frame recesses either side of the tyre?

Man, these look crazy good.

There are lights that will fit in the recesses but I don't like the way it looks or functions, mine also protect the tubes in the event of a crash and only cost about $15 in total to make if I need to replace 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 1:41 AM, Willy510 said:

hi, I had a look again on thingiverse and couldn't find them, would it be possible to add a link?

cheers in advance

Jolyon

On 12/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, Jollyonatron said:

hi, I had a look again on thingiverse and couldn't find them, would it be possible to add a link?

cheers in advance

Jolyon

Sorry but people were selling my designs as their own so I've taken it all down

1 hour ago, Willy510 said:

Sorry but people were selling my designs as their own so I've taken it all down

Those people suck! I was wondering why I didn't see your designs on Thingiverse....  I really liked all your designs for the EUC's! Is there any way you can still share it privately for people like me who appreciate your work and don't sell it? I ordered the Sherman yesterday from Ewheels and would love to print out some of the stuff you made for the Sherman....

Edited by QLam56
  • Like 1