Am I doing it right? Turning at speed as a semi-experienced rider

rexdelmolvo

I've been riding EUC's for over a month now, with around 1000 miles under my belt. Not the most experienced, but I feel mostly confident on the wheel. One thing I've been noticing while riding my 100v Nikola on the road is that I have a hard time turning while maintaining speed, which is something I need to do when I'm on the road near other cars.

I remember when learning to ride, a piece of advice I'd see on turning is to straighten the leg on the side you want to turn towards and bend the other, bearing down on the pedal and tilting the wheel. Doing this at a low speed is easy, and you can actually hold the position and constantly turn. This doesn't work at high speeds because of the gyroscope effect, and turning at high speeds for me has been very much a "do what gets it done" type of experience, so that I don't end up dead or disturbing traffic. I find when I'm going faster, my body has automatically been turning by doing the opposite of what I described before: bending the leg I want to turn towards, and straightening the other, pushing against the wheel itself as I tilt my body weight. This results in my turning being almost like repeatedly carving to one side to gradually shift my direction. It relies more on the way that I'm leaning my upper body weight.

It works, but it feels wrong and uncomfortable? And maybe unsafe? I don't know. I wish I could take a video of it. Am I turning at speed properly, or do I need to focus on changing this technique? Is there a way to perform a constant turn at speed? By the way, I am a 220lb rider and I ride around 40-42 psi on my Nikola's stock tire, since I've heard that affects turning

Nice you've been so active.
I do what you say when hight speed turning: the outer leg is used to push against the wheel body while my own body is inwards the turn. Whatever works I guess, coming from 10k km experience. Those with yet more mileage might have other views.

high PSI makes turning harder as less rubber is in contact with the roadway. I tested 25psi vs 35psi and changes handling of wheel very significantly. personally I find turning my shoulders helps me to do wtvr is needed for turning but I guess the rest is just intuitive.  I think  roll induces turn so your machine has to roll and this is usually by having more weight on one side. but I think it is very individualised...

This is also how I turn at speed, but with the outer "straight leg" still slightly bent. This type of turn gave me instant familiarity and comfort as it is the same feeling hanging off the tank when I used to ride sportbikes. I only turn with weight on the inside leg when doing slower speed maneuver. 

11 minutes ago, null said:

Nice you've been so active.
I do what you say when hight speed turning: the outer leg is used to push against the wheel body while my own body is inwards the turn. Whatever works I guess, coming from 10k km experience. Those with yet more mileage might have other views.

Is your turning when you do this constant, or does it feel like the repeated carving I described?

@amelanso yeah, I'm going to try lowering the PSI a bit today

It feels constant.. the faster the more perpendicular the wheel, its quite fascinating to push the wheel body.. I try not going too fast though, its generally on car roads and do not will to loose grip.

Edited by null

@rexdelmolvo 

At low speed you are leaning the wheel and at high speed you are leaning yourself. You are doing both correct. You can also lean yourself instead of the wheel at low speeds. This is how those guy on YouTube can turn on a dime without scraping a pedal. Just don’t lean the wheel at high speeds. ..... Unless you are really good!  :thumbup:

Edited by RockyTop

If you don't fall off and don't want to fall off: you're doing it right when you don't. If you drag knees in high speed turns, buy knee sliders and speed up. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet