My Own Sherman 'Velocity' Seat

Shield

35 minutes ago, Wild Caribou said:

I'm curious to know how your DIY is working out for you.

So far so good, much better than the official Veteran seat. The clamps I used are not as tight as I wanted. If I lean too hard there is some side to side slipping. I've ordered new clamps which have a tighter grip, 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33036829418.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c4a4c4dZaf2Hb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shield said:

So far so good, much better than the official Veteran seat. The clamps I used are not as tight as I wanted. If I lean too hard there is some side to side slipping. I've ordered new clamps which have a tighter grip, 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33036829418.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c4a4c4dZaf2Hb

Nice to hear. I also think you did a great job on the seat. Looking forward to your next iteration.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 5:08 PM, Shield said:

Which size clamps did you use? 40MM?

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 7:11 AM, Duf said:

Which size clamps did you use? 40MM?

20MM

I think you need to check the accuracy of your measuring equipment Shawn!!?? :laughbounce2:

Edited by fbhb

Good job with the seat!  Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your seat?  Also what is the length from rail to rail? 

I have a Sherman coming, but I am really want to have a seat before it comes since I have time right now.  I think I have enough scraps to make a seat :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 6:51 PM, Cychotic said:

Good job with the seat!  Do you mind sharing the dimensions of your seat?  Also what is the length from rail to rail? 

I have a Sherman coming, but I am really want to have a seat before it comes since I have time right now.  I think I have enough scraps to make a seat :)

I too am searching for length and width of top of sherman. Would like to build seat for future sherman. Thanks in advance

105mm across very top. angles down 8mm then its 130mm. Angle continues 56mm to 178mm wide.   front to back bar spacing is 310mm inside edge bar to bar, 330mm center to center. Anyone wanting to design a seat really NEEDS have a sherman available to test fit. Consider it a business investment? At the very least, one could obtain a factory seat, as its dimensions are spot on for where it rests. Beware of the 'taint killer' seats :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, Shield said:

New seat called "The Dogbone" with slightly raised ends

Hi, can you expand on the reason why you went for a dog bone design? I am just trying to understand why you would want a wider front section (I assume its not for sitting on!)

Also, with the bone design, where does your ass actually end up? In the middle section or on the wider rear bit?

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Hi @ShanesPlanet, can you do me a favour and measure from the top of the pedal hangar to the top of the roll bar please. I am trying to get a feel for how high a sherman seat could end up. Cheers

Roll bar is approx 18" above pedal hangers. 19 1/4 inch to the flat spot on the seat. Add another inch for the highest point on the back lip of seat. This is from the hangers.

The outter edge of pedals are a little higher, so you could subtract an inch of so from that locale.

Fwiw, I find the stock sherman seat to be a bit rear on the machine. WIth a negative tilt of 2, its damn tough to sit centered and not roll backwards. You REALLY got to lean into it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Roll bar is approx 18" above pedal hangers. 19 1/4 inch to the flat spot on the seat. Add another inch for the highest point on the back lip of seat. This is from the hangers.

The outter edge of pedals are a little higher, so you could subtract an inch of so from that locale.

Fwiw, I find the stock sherman seat to be a bit rear on the machine. WIth a negative tilt of 2, its damn tough to sit centered and not roll backwards. You REALLY got to lean into it.

Perfect mate, those measurements are exactly what I was looking for.

I really like the way the stock seat fits and looks. Plus no faffing about with it not being in the way of the handle. But it's clear that it has too much of a rearward CofG. I have compared the sit position on my MSX seat, and I deffo sit further foward, kinda inbetween the centre and rear of the case.

What I find odd with the aftermarket Sherman seats is that they all have a large section at the rear which seems to be in the same location as the stock seat which is what people are moaning about. So where do peeps sit with the aftermarket ones? At the centre? Or inbetween the centre and rear? Because neither of those locations seem to put your ass on the large rear section so why have it?!

Your measurements have helped me work out how the Sherman seating compares to the MSX, where the stock seat is around 17.25" so around 2" lower than the stock seat on the Sherman. Thats good news, at 6'1" I need all the height I can get. So now its just a matter of me playing around with seat base designs for the Shermy and my ass so that when it arrives I have a head start. Cheers bud.

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Perfect mate, those measurements are exactly what I was looking for.

I really like the way the stock seat fits and looks. Plus no faffing about with it not being in the way of the handle. But it's clear that it has too much of a rearward CofG. I have compared the sit position on my MSX seat, and I deffo sit further foward, kinda inbetween the centre and rear of the case.

What I find odd with the aftermarket Sherman seats is that they all have a large section at the rear which seems to be in the same location as the stock seat which is what people are moaning about. So where do peeps sit with the aftermarket ones? At the centre? Or inbetween the centre and rear? Because neither of those locations seem to put your ass on the large rear section so why have it?!

Your measurements have helped me work out how the Sherman seating compares to the MSX, where the stock seat is around 17.25" so around 2" lower than the stock seat on the Sherman. Thats good news, at 6'1" I need all the height I can get. So now its just a matter of me playing around with seat base designs for the Shermy and my ass so that when it arrives I have a head start. Cheers bud.

No worries. I'm 6'3" and dont really like using the seat. My ankles and knees are just so incredibly cramped when sitting. MAYBE it rests my legs, but at the expense of ruining the aforementioned. I sit on it for fun, but very rarely. It stays on my wheel mostly cuz it looks cool and paid for the damn thing! It was a quite fun surprise to sit on it with feet on the ground and take off uphill.. Its nearly impossible to use it as a stationary seat for its cog at -2 tilt. When rolling, you can lean like a mofo and weight up the feet and ride it. I think its just a compromise, as any further forward and the trolly handle would be unuseable. I've kind of concluded that if I want to sit, I'll start the bike :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I get you mate. At 6'3" you must be doubled up like a politician in an S&M fest. I guess for you to be comfy requires a Monster or some abominable monstrosity stuck on top of the Sherman seat.

I hear what you are saying, even though its nice to rest the legs on my MSX, when I stand back up again my knees and hips start protesting so generally I dont bother sitting.

I think I would still like to give it a go on the Sherm even though it looks like whatever solution I go with requires it to be lifted for the trolley handle, but how the actual ass position works with the designs I've seen is anyones guess.

• Like 1

Sometimes it just fun to try, success OR fail. Especially when it's not imperative. I'll sit on mine from time to time, JUST because its a different persective. Dont circus bears sit on theirs? :D Don't need remove stock seat to use the bars, mine stays velcro'd down. Too bad it takes the only spot I have for a BT speaker atm. Luckily Im usually going so fast I wouldnt hear it anyhow.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 3 weeks later...

i,m still waiting for someone to design a reasonably priced seat for the Sherman. Gunslinger are slow off the mark and may not ship os and Fpv are up to the 2.5 iteration and still deciding if they make /sell a commercial quantity.I think there is a solid market for a higher full seat for the Sherman that doesnt cost the world!.The oem Sherman seat is Shite!

• 1 month later...