Repairing an EUC Tire and Opening The Tesla

Marty Backe

I had to do this just recently and the 6$ patch kits you get at any hware store worked like a charm ( mine was about 25yrs old). I always find the plastic does not want to lift off without wanting to peel the patch so I leave it on. There are lots of expensive anti-flat compounds these days but I prefer the old school and inexpensive method that has been around for 50+ years. Thx for another nice vid @Marty Backe !

• Like 1

I remember carrying patch kits on our bicycles as a kids. I would sneak across the Peace River  bridge 20 miles away from my home. All the good stuff was on the other side of that long bridge. If our tires got a flat, we had to fix it then a and there. No time to walk home and calling Mom would be a death sentence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This may be useful to some new EUC owners and people who've never repaired an inner tube

I normally agree with You Marty, but i have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

I can't agree with your final comment in the video.

As per my experience, never patch a (EUC) tube that previously contained slime. To me, it costed me my index finger (allmost, thanks Surgeons)

More on the subject

2. Plastic on patch should come off clean. You probably used to much vulk (or didn't spread all the way to the edges or didnt allow it to dry long enough.

3. Swapping tyre with batteries connceted 😳 that is GUTSY. Drop a screw on mainboard and POOF!! (like the one under trolley or the ones holding trolley that you need to remove reach the one under trolley)

Here is a image walkthrough that i made some time ago, with some more details, note its for tesla v1, and by means of also removing batteries and discharging main board (and at least on v1 you need to remove trolley handle one side + tape under handle)

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I normally agree with You Marty, but i have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

I can't agree with your final comment in the video.

As per my experience, never patch a (EUC) tube that previously contained slime. To me, it costed me my index finger (allmost, thanks Surgeons)

More on the subject

2. Plastic on patch should come off clean. You probably used to much vulk (or didn't spread all the way to the edges or didnt allow it to dry long enough.

3. Swapping tyre with batteries connceted 😳 that is GUTSY. Drop a screw on mainboard and POOF!! (like the one under trolley or the ones holding trolley that you need to remove reach the one under trolley)

Here is a image walkthrough that i made some time ago, with some more details, note its for tesla v1, and by means of also removing batteries and discharging main board (and at least on v1 you need to remove trolley handle one side + tape under handle)

It's OK. We can all disagree.

In your case I don't think there is causation - Slime is a water based product with no solvents that I'm aware of. I've been riding on patched tubes filled with Slime for years. Never a failure. Anecdotal for sure, like your experience :)

We've been changing Gotway tires like this since Gotway existed. Of course you can take extra precautionary steps and I'm not about to chastise you for doing so. But I'm not going to :)

Thanks for posting this @Marty Backe. Good timing for me as I got an instant deflating puncture last week. Was interesting to feel how the wheel response change. At first I thought it was my cover rubbing the wheel. Got off, remounted and couldn't ride very well (like I was drunk!). Just glad it was at a low speed run <10mph.

I think for the price of an inner tube I think I'll replace. The inner peace will probably be worth the difference of a few £ in a patch kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 1:05 AM, Marty Backe said:

It's OK. We can all disagree.

In your case I don't think there is causation - Slime is a water based product with no solvents that I'm aware of. I've been riding on patched tubes filled with Slime for years. Never a failure. Anecdotal for sure, like your experience :)

We've been changing Gotway tires like this since Gotway existed. Of course you can take extra precautionary steps and I'm not about to chastise you for doing so. But I'm not going to :)

@Marty Backe Its ok to disagree, or we would still be cavemen 😉, but I would still try to clarify my point, for the sake of others not to end up like I did.

As saying goes, a picture says more than a thousand words.

While it has now dried up Its pretty easy to see where the rubber devulked and went into a goey mess, when the leak was fresh and Zefal "slime" was oozing out.

This was very obvious as I inflated the tube to see where it leaked after the fact. Could be that zefal slime & zefal patches dont work well together (and they missed to test that part) and Your "green slime" works better with your patches. But here's my story20201006_213952.thumb.jpg.02d6254f18f72d31776395bf0d64fab2.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, Boogieman said:

For the record, the products that didn't mix well.

http://www.zefal.com/en/prevent/164-z-sealant.html

Cant find the exact same kit on zefals home page, but its this one https://www.bike24.com/p2177640.html

20201006_215339.jpg

This is good clarification on your part. It should be noted that when I say Slime, I mean the product made by the "Slime company". You are using "slime" as a generic term. I have zero knowledge or experience with Zefal.

So I'm going to stick with my assertion that "Slime" is safe to use with patches :)

On 10/6/2020 at 12:54 PM, Boogieman said:

For the record, the products that didn't mix well.

http://www.zefal.com/en/prevent/164-z-sealant.html

Cant find the exact same kit on zefals home page, but its this one https://www.bike24.com/p2177640.html

I see that Zefal contains ammonia. It may also contain other chemicals. "Slime" is water based.

Maybe you should stick with "Slime" :)