Exploring Saddleback Mountain - Goes South

Marty Backe

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My exploration of Saddleback Mountain, in Southern California, did not go as planned :facepalm:

Are you all right Marty? This doesn’t look good. Did you have an accident with your new wheel? The video does not play.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Are you all right Marty? This doesn’t look good. Did you have an accident with your new wheel? The video does not play.

It's a YouTube Premiere. You have to wait ~14-hours

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

14 hrs. That’s 6 AM tomorrow. No problem. Now at least I know you are not in a hospital. They would not allow you to use the internet. 😂 

• Like 2

Can't wait to see your adventure.    You were in my neck of the woods, but I didn't think you'd go after finding out the forest was closed.  Did you or Chris do a GPS recording of your route?  (please post) I've ridden my mt bike up to 4 corners (Maple Springs), that is a hard ride.  I knew my Z10 wasn't up to it and the Monster doesn't have enough power.

Glad to hear you didn't get tickets, and are alive to tell your stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Frear said:

Can't wait to see your adventure.    You were in my neck of the woods, but I didn't think you'd go after finding out the forest was closed.  Did you or Chris do a GPS recording of your route?  (please post) I've ridden my mt bike up to 4 corners (Maple Springs), that is a hard ride.  I knew my Z10 wasn't up to it and the Monster doesn't have enough power.

Glad to hear you didn't get tickets, and are alive to tell your stories.

I do have the GPS route. I'll post it in my Telegram group. Turns out that where we started (County Park) it was opened but after a handful of miles it enters the Forest Service and was closed, but we didn't know it. Fortunately the ranger didn't fine us considering the condition that we were in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Reminds me a bit of the release of the Ninebot Z10. Keep people waiting, the longer the better. They will be desperate. 😝 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

a bit

“a bit ...”?!
This had the potential to end differently ...! But @Marty Backe is a real pioneer. Let this be an important lesson to all of us, so that these two didn’t put their lives on the line for nothing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I do have the GPS route. I'll post it in my Telegram group. Turns out that where we started (County Park) it was opened but after a handful of miles it enters the Forest Service and was closed, but we didn't know it. Fortunately the ranger didn't fine us considering the condition that we were in.

Backcountry Essentials

Anyone traveling in the wild with his EUC should always have the following:

• The willingness to complete the total ride well within 70% of the wheels battery capacity.
  • A topographical map of the area, preferably with compass or GPS.
  • Information about recent weather conditions.
  • The knowledge to use and apply the above.
  • Proper riding gear and first aid kit (Chooch Tech has a good video on that on his channel)
  • Some extra protection against heat/cold and rain.
  • Enough food and water.
  • Friends to ride with, and preferably someone who knows exactly where you’ll be going. 😝 
  • Cell phone (with battery power) or other means of communication; extra battery.
  • The ability to say no when conditions look bad — people are often more difficult to handle than weather, wheel or terrain.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

Wow. Hope you are both feeling better by now! Glad it worked out in the end. 

However just curious about one thing. Why didn't  you swap wheels with Chris? Say when you were about 60% and he about 40%. You would likely both have made it to the downhill section with much less risk of overexertion for Chris. It also would have allowed you to stay together which would have meant much less risk for either of you to end very badly. 

Never occurred to me (us). Nothing like hindsight :facepalm:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hmm I think a proper backpack with real food and much more water (and maybe some collapsible sunshade for breaks) is in order for these kind of rides. You seemed a bit underprepared/underequipped.

I did not run out of water. My mistake was not using it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

However just curious about one thing. Why didn't  you swap wheels with Chris? Say when you were about 60% and he about 40%. You would likely both have made it to the downhill section with much less risk of overexertion for Chris. It also would have allowed you to stay together which would have meant much less risk for either of you to end very badly. 

Fantastic idea!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not an adventure if you're always 100% in your comfort zone:D

Does that mean it is an adventure when you have a 50:50 chance to get home unharmed or better even alive? Or at what survival rate exactly does the “adventure” start for us EUC enthusiasts?
I always thought of EUC riding with all its potential hazards and its well-temperate danger as a kind of “extreme sport”. I wonder: Do we really have to make it even more extreme than it already is by having a couple of helicopters on stand-by? I thought that’s what only back-country snow boarders were doing!

But the lesson I learned from this is to have at least one friend or family member be aware of where exactly I am planning to go and give him a call all 3 hours or so. And if this call does not come, have him search for me and pick me up (with a crane 😝) or call for help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fryman said:

Don't understand the free helicopter ride @Marty Backe?  They charged me $1200 for a 5 minute ambulance ride from Griffith Park to the hospital. :crying:

It’s probably a California thing! In Japan the snow boarders do this a lot: get themselves lost in the mountains and valleys, then call the helicopter in for their free ride home.

36 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Does that mean it is an adventure when you have a 50:50 chance to get home unharmed or better even alive? Or at what survival rate exactly does the “adventure” start for us EUC enthusiasts?

I use the 50/50 rule. If odds are 50/50 or better, its an adventure and NOT suicide. I usually ponder on how many days it would take to crawl to civilization, if I fall off a mountain and barely survive it.  If the odds are too good in your favor, its still an adventure, but usually doesnt make for as good a story in the end...

• Like 3

My goodness, what an adventure, so glad you guys are okay!!  We're only human and though we feel like we can handle whatever adventures we get ourselves into, there's always a risk, no advice here on what to do in this situation but again, glad you guys are okay.  I think double portions of donuts before the trip, where's Dunkin Donuts?:)

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

I enjoy exploring new route very much. I always check satellite image to exam if the trail is ridable. But it just cannot be always judged by low res pics. Like yesterday, the trail all looks nice, but in reality, it has a long uphill section covered by fine gravel/sand. I had to push the wheel up for almost 1000 ft in elevation, and doing that in sand is not very fun.  

I don't know if there is app for it, but on my Garmin watch, if I set it to navigate planed route, it will vibrate whenever I am off track. This feature has saved me multiple times when I went astray by not paying attention to GPS location.

• Like 2