Armoured Jackets for females

Hi All,

Hoping some girls could point me into the right direction for buying an armoured jacket. I've got a smaller build than a male size small not to mention female bits, I've tried the alpinestars bionic action jacket in small but have found that the sleeves are too long for me, elbow pads looking more like fore arm pads. I know there's a child's version and wondering if anyone has tried that cause I do like the look of the jacket. Sadly there's nowhere local that I could try it on so hopefully if someone has some insights or can recommend something similar that would be great.It would save me ordering it then returning it. 

===================================================================Update============================================================

The alpinestars youth bionic action jackets fits like a glove. Bought that and wear a motor jacket on top for abrasion resistance. 

Edited by Performance-Local
  • Like 1

I can’t recommend any armored jackets as I wear a textile motorcycle jacket instead.

My motorcycle jacket has padding on the elbows and shoulders and the tough cordura material slides well. I’ve had a couple of high speed falls where I’ve landed on my knees and elbows, then my chest followed by a shoulder roll. Both times wearing the jacket I’ve jumped back on my wheel and have only noticed minor friction burns in the shower the next morning!

In motorcycle jackets, a woman is spoilt for choice. Some of them look pretty sharp too!

PS: Sorry I’m not a girl. But I thought the subject of women’s protective gear too interesting a topic to let it go stale.

Edited by Mortal Coil
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mortal Coil said:

I can’t recommend any armored jackets as I wear a textile motorcycle jacket instead.

My motorcycle jacket has padding on the elbows and shoulders and the tough cordura material slides well. I’ve had a couple of high speed falls where I’ve landed on my knees and elbows, then my chest followed by a shoulder roll. Both times wearing the jacket I’ve jumped back on my wheel and have only noticed minor friction burns in the shower the next morning!

In motorcycle jackets, a woman is spoilt for choice. Some of them look pretty sharp too!

Seems like i'll have to go motorcycle jacket and chest guard shopping then, the armoured jackets just seemed like a cheaper alternative. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 7:59 AM, Performance-Local said:

Seems like i'll have to go motorcycle jacket and chest guard shopping then, the armoured jackets just seemed like a cheaper alternative. 

Look into the bigger brands like olympia. Its tough for ladies to find good fitting jackets that are actualy for use and not just show. Winter time shouldnt be as tough, as you can just layer up. A good fitting mesh jacket with d30 is the bee's knees for summer riding imho. Theres a few choices out there, but be ready to send some back and try a few on. THEN you got to find d30 pads for all the spots and replace what the jacket came with. Maybe you should give @Mike Sacristan a shout, as I think he rides with a lady all the time. They aren't gearaholics, but definitielty in the know. Good luck and dont settle for cheap crap or ill fitting. If you're going to bother (which you dont have to), you desever to be comfy for your troubles. You sometimes get what yuo pay for, sometimes you get less. Its never the other way around. Be leery of cheap crap, as we all know that they dont care about actual gear performance. Mountain bike gear hits the sweet spot, but slim pickin's there too. Stay away from 'sport bike' or 'track' gear, as its typically cut for a heavy lean position.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 9/21/2020 at 8:04 AM, Performance-Local said:

Hi All,

Hoping some girls could point me into the right direction for buying an armoured jacket. I've got a smaller build than a male size small not to mention female bits, I've tried the alpinestars bionic action jacket in small but have found that the sleeves are too long for me, elbow pads looking more like fore arm pads. I know there's a child's version and wondering if anyone has tried that cause I do like the look of the jacket. Sadly there's nowhere local that I could try it on so hopefully if someone has some insights or can recommend something similar that would be great.It would save me ordering it then returning it. 

Now I am not female however... Body size and shape and proportion will differ for everyone. 

I used to use a POC DH jacket. These comes in different sizes but elbow pads would shove into place and then a wrist velcro strap would lock it in place. There are similar other options though. 

vpd-2-0-spine-jacket-front.jpg.3f5c170cd4520c2b8db8137741793333.jpg

Here I have T-shirt over it. 

20180927_001407.thumb.jpg.05f9a995430fee82594819145da5cb7f.jpg

But it doesn't handle scraping on asphalt well as it is a thin synthetic fabric, so I moved on to use MC suit with 3D0 pads. Some can be bought in lady shape. Some has cheat padding. But from my accident and what I seen posted here chest isn't the big issue in general. The biggest zones to look for is wrist, elbow, shoulder, back, knees and of course head. Now I put back in here but that is down to what complications a spine injury means. I use hip pads too. I would rater twist to a sideways roll if I can but you might not always be able to. 

My current suit is this. My legs are too short or my belly too big you decide. I solved that by flipping up 1" andmoding knee pads up to top zone (of 3 options). Elbow pads are so big the cover a lot move than most so despite not fitting 100% they do their job still. Yes I have tested it once (not internally though) 

20200402_130242_compress1.thumb.jpg.e8fa82e6f2a2b69422fd8460812bc554.jpg

The benafit of this suit is that it is relative fast to put on and rain proof too, but.... expensive. Cost me like 1250€.Due to being GoreTex level 2 fabric. Also nice touch with goat skin on inside legs to prevent wear (or avoid hot areas on a MC). 

On the other hand of it helps me avoiding a serious injury I view this as well spent money. Also putting on the suit I kinda enters a mindfulness stage clearing head as to focus on task at hand, riding EUC and scanning traffic and surface for risks to avoid. Surface not as much anymore due to my V11s suspension. 

I hope this might help you out. 

Edited by Unventor
Note: the POC DH jacket saved my shoulder from being shattered. It only dislocated in a 25kmh crash. More details in my crash history thread here on forum.

XLMoto sells some nice stuff that isn't too expensive.

Lazyrolling sells very nice stuff that costs a bit more. They have small sizes like XS and XXS.
However their style is for casual looking riders.
I just wore the helmet for the pic. :P

Monika has the Alpinestars Bionic in small and it fits her well. It fits me fine too.
The Leatt Adventure is quite nice looking.

You might be better off getting a chest protector and a kevlar jacket with pads (Level 1 or 2 is up to you... we aren't on motorcycles).

If you tell me your height and weight it might be easier for me to suggest something that isn't too large.
And if you have a C cup or larger then that won't be easy either.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 12:36 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

XLMoto sells some nice stuff that isn't too expensive.

Lazyrolling sells very nice stuff that costs a bit more. They have small sizes like XS and XXS.
However their style is for casual looking riders.
I just wore the helmet for the pic. :P

Monika has the Alpinestars Bionic in small and it fits her well. It fits me fine too.
The Leatt Adventure is quite nice looking.

You might be better off getting a chest protector and a kevlar jacket with pads (Level 1 or 2 is up to you... we aren't on motorcycles).

If you tell me your height and weight it might be easier for me to suggest something that isn't too large.
And if you have a C cup or larger then that won't be easy either.

Hey Mike, 

I'm only about 150cm at 60kgs, I've tried my friend's female motor cycle jacket which is euro size 44 which fits pretty perfectly other than the sleeves being a bit long so what would you suggest? 

The idea is I'm going to get her jacket in a couple of months when she immigrates so I was just looking around a bit for summer armour for the time being since it's coming summer where i'm from. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Performance-Local said:

Hey Mike, 

I'm only about 150cm at 60kgs, I've tried my friend's female motor cycle jacket which is euro size 44 which fits pretty perfectly other than the sleeves being a bit long so what would you suggest? 

The idea is I'm going to get her jacket in a couple of months when she immigrates so I was just looking around a bit for summer armour for the time being since it's coming summer where i'm from. 

I am 163cm and weigh 62kg.
Monika is 166cm and weighs 64kg.
My friend Petra is a little over 170cm and weighs 56kg.
We are all stuck at size small. And there are variations in our arm length, waist size, upper body length, etc.

The Leatt Adventure has removable sleeves from the elbow down and is nicely priced.
This means it could be used with separate elbow pads instead. But that would be a bit of a hassle.

The Fox Titan is highly cloned at AliExpress and available in Asian sizes so much smaller than standard small size.
It would probably be your best bet. Several American riders use them and are super happy with them.

You can see the measurements here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036221490.html

10 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I am 163cm and weigh 62kg.
Monika is 166cm and weighs 64kg.
My friend Petra is a little over 170cm and weighs 56kg.
We are all stuck at size small. And there are variations in our arm length, waist size, upper body length, etc.

The Leatt Adventure has removable sleeves from the elbow down and is nicely priced.
This means it could be used with separate elbow pads instead. But that would be a bit of a hassle.

The Fox Titan is highly cloned at AliExpress and available in Asian sizes so much smaller than standard small size.
It would probably be your best bet. Several American riders use them and are super happy with them.

You can see the measurements here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036221490.html

Thanks for that from the measurements looks like i'll be an Asian small. Hopefully shipping won't take too long.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...