KiwiMark

Thinking of getting into EUCs

FWIW, first and only  wheel at this point is an Mten and I struggle to ride it after 3-4 months. I should have gotten a larger wheel (V8f for example) I think. Just a heads up to anyone who wants to get into this activity and is considering the Mten as their first wheel. 

7 minutes ago, EVSteevie said:

FWIW, first and only  wheel at this point is an Mten and I struggle to ride it after 3-4 months. I should have gotten a larger wheel (V8f for example) I think. Just a heads up to anyone who wants to get into this activity and is considering the Mten as their first wheel. 

Agreed! I also found the mten to be VERY tricky as a learner. It is not very forgiving because of its response for being a smaller wheel. It also doesnt have enough height to make it easy to mount/dismount. My 18L was MUCH simpler to learn. Don't give up tho. The mten is a fun little wheel and you will eventually get the hang of it. I am finding it VERY easy to stand in place and teeter or ride backwards on it(now that I somewhat know how to ride). Still, that initial learning curve is a total bitch! I think an 18 with a rollNZ cover should be the goto learner. It also happens to be the wheel I ride most BY FAR, over my other two. Opinions vary, but i dont think either the Sherman OR the Mten are a good first learner. Of course, people will justify that it is, so they have a reason to buy either one.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

While I can't say if the Mten3 is amongst the better starter wheels, I can say that IMHO, the little Mten3 is the most unique EUC experience I've ridden. While I do wish for more range &ofcos more topspeed, its a wish as opposed to a requirement. IMO the Mten3 is without a doubt the best last mile commuter ever invented as of now. There's nothing better for mixing with people & crowds, on sideways, at park events, window shopping & anything that calls for replacing the need for legs...literally.

Despite its fugly looks, discomfort of its small pedals & its famed squirrellyness, it does have a certain je ne sais quoi charm that makes riding fun, makes going slow just as fun & its ease of learning & doing tricks is startling vs a larger wheel. As a starter wheel, it has its share of pros & cons. For similar (or slightly more) money, IMO the MCM5 V2 is a more capable wheel & will suit a much greater variety of riding & also IMO a better wheel to learn on.

As for the Sherman &or MPro as a starter wheel, knowing what I know now, I don't think it's a bad idea, IMO ofcos. Sure neither will be as easy to learn/ride as say a V5/10 but I also don't think its more difficult than learning on the Mten3 either. Every wheel has its quirks or 'character' & with enough practise, we learn to adapt to that. I would be much more concerned that it's more likely than not, one will be dumping their 'learner' wheel quite a bit in the beginning so think of any & every which way to protect it from damage.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Scottie888 said:

Ya I'm just having some fun as all. But seriously though, set the tiltback at a reasonable speed with alarms & all, the Sherm is just like any other wheel. Granted I have not ridden it but most feedback says its stable & planted with the weight down low(er). Pedal height isn't extreme with good length so mount/dismount should also be easier.

You almost had me going. I missed that part where you admitted to simply 'talking out your a**'.  You have valid points, but you may be swaying the opinions of perspective buyers and you havent even ridden the damn thing? You don't buy the most expensive and most powerful car, nor the heaviest truck, to take your very first driving lessons. People have done it, but look at how expensive the sherman is! Why would anyone want to take a $3k plunge on a VERY heavy wheel that has abilities a person may NEVER decide to use? A LOT of guys dont care to ride 80lbs nor do they care to ride 40mph. Until you are a rider yourself, its hard to know what style you will end up riding in. Everyone THINKS 30mph is slow.... until they ride it on an euc. Granted, 30mph IS slow to some, but not most. I still think a more reasonably priced euc that has middle of the raod specs and a wider range of able uses, makes a better first wheel. If you buy right and dont get too careless, your beginner wheel will not collect dust, even as you gain others. Tbh, my beginner wheel is the most used. My brand new sherman is awsome, but its also collecting dust. Its not THAT often that i need to plan I'm going a 20+ mile ride at 40+mph speeds :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

50 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You almost had me going. I missed that part where you admitted to simply 'talking out your a**'.  You have valid points, but you may be swaying the opinions of perspective buyers and you havent even ridden the damn thing? You don't buy the most expensive and most powerful car, nor the heaviest truck, to take your very first driving lessons. People have done it, but look at how expensive the sherman is! Why would anyone want to take a $3k plunge on a VERY heavy wheel that has abilities a person may NEVER decide to use? A LOT of guys dont care to ride 80lbs nor do they care to ride 40mph. Until you are a rider yourself, its hard to know what style you will end up riding in. Everyone THINKS 30mph is slow.... until they ride it on an euc. Granted, 30mph IS slow to some, but not most. I still think a more reasonably priced euc that has middle of the raod specs and a wider range of able uses, makes a better first wheel. If you buy right and dont get too careless, your beginner wheel will not collect dust, even as you gain others. Tbh, my beginner wheel is the most used. My brand new sherman is awsome, but its also collecting dust. Its not THAT often that i need to plan I'm going a 20+ mile ride at 40+mph speeds :)

Hmmm I think you also missed the part that I never said nor recommended that the Sherman or the Mpro or any of the faster wheels for that matter as a starting point in the EUC game. Nor did I say its the easiest to learn on. I was just responding to queries IF those particular wheels can use to learn on &or as a 1st wheel.

IMHO that would be a yes, based on my experiences ofcos. I fully admit I've never ridden a Sherman (not cos I don't want to but there just isn't any opportunity at least in my neck of the woods). However after owning 3 wheels of differing types (as much as wheels can be different), I don't think its such a biggie to learn on a larger & heavier wheel. You weigh in on the weight as an obstacle & you'd be right....IF we're talking about moving iron. Luckily we're not & we're only 1 legging it at the balance point for mount/dismount. Once the wheel's moving, weight is no longer significant IMO. I've seen a number of vids of the very young (~ or even < 10yrs) riding 16x's which isn't exactly light for a child. If weight is huge factor, they wouldn't be able to ride it.

Sure I fully admit I haven't gone much over 30mph but I can certainly interpolate from riding experience that I can easily go 40mph with some riding time. So what's the difference learning on a wheel that can do 30mph or 40mph. We all start at much lower speeds to begin with regardless of how fast the the top end is. Based on what I know now from the 3 wheels I have, the differences are mainly in the wheels individual & particular quirks or characteristics rather than any insurmountable obstacle.

We're all different. We can only provide our own individual experiences as a guide rather than as DOGMA. As usual, YMMV

I think that if I had the money to order multiple wheels instead of only one then the wheel specifically for learning on would have been the Tesla V2 - powerful enough, fast enough, enough range, the 16" wheel would be less squirrelly than the 10" of the MTen3, it is probably a nice happy medium weight and it would be a fairly usable wheel for short rides where the range in a non-issue.

I'm still happy with my decision to buy the RS because it will provide me with a good general purpose wheel for a LOT longer than the learning period.  The range should be decent enough and I should be able to keep far enough below its top speed to allow a nice safety margin.

Maybe I'll buy a long-range wheel like the Sherman eventually.  But the RS would still make a good wheel to use instead of the Sherman when riding shorter distances.  The Sherman is still 8kg heavier even when not needing the range it has - you always have that weight every single ride.  I'm thinking that a longer range wheel like the Sherman might be what I buy when I get to wanting a 2nd wheel.  Maybe for my 3rd wheel I'll decide to buy an ultra-portable wheel like the MTen3.  At this stage I've already spent a lot of money and will be looking to holding back and letting the bank balance increase while I have fun with my RS for a decent while.

At this stage I still have ~5 weeks wait for the slow surface shipping from China.  I'll try to work out the best places to practise riding while I'm waiting - maybe try the wheel on a grass field for a little bit.