Yes, I do love the Sherman...so far

1 hour ago, Bridgeboy said:

It's already worked out. I have not experienced any pedal dip.

mines 1000 or something like that. Good to hear they fixed the pedal dip. My fw update is arriving late, but hopefully tomorrow! I just got back from riding all my wheels back to back. The sherman is awesome, but i hate to say it.. the 18L is just so much easier to manuever. Horses for courses, as the mten and 18l BOTH dont like to roll like glass at 30mph+. Tis a lucky thing to have choices. If i could have only one tho..... prolly the locksong. :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

mines 1000 or something like that. Good to hear they fixed the pedal dip. My fw update is arriving late, but hopefully tomorrow! I just got back from riding all my wheels back to back. The sherman is awesome, but i hate to say it.. the 18L is just so much easier to manuever. Horses for courses, as the mten and 18l BOTH dont like to roll like glass at 30mph+. Tis a lucky thing to have choices. If i could have only one tho..... prolly the locksong. :roflmao:

Definitely  need 2 or more wheels ,,my 16x ,,I can't give it up ,,every time I go on it I think this is just an all round fun wheel ,,I love it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wait until you get your Sherman functioning correctly. If it doesn't beat out the 18L after proper a firmware update, then I don't know what to say. It rides so much better than my 18XL I can't even compare the two in the same class. Maybe the novelty will wear off over time. We'll see...

• Like 2

Update complete chip #1056 and the wheel rides MUCH better. Pedal dip is nearly half what it was, and its now more of a slight tilt that you can use for leverage. After a few revisions of power pads to match my leg and attack angle, the sherman rides great. I even get to use 'medium' mode and its good. Medium just seems easier on the bones, i really dont know why?! 0 tilt on the sherm, just as my other wheels and its.... magical!

Its NOT the same class of wheel as my 18L. They each do what they do. The sherm is WAY over half my body weight, so I seriously doubt it will ever be a effortless to ride as my 18L. For high speed cruising and stability at those speeds, yes, the sherman is the ticket. For simple straight line riding at slower speeds, the sherman is still VERY comfy and the tire keeps the ride supple. However, at basic 0-20mph with weaving and typical wandering, the 18L is still the comfortable choice(music too). It really depends on riding style for the day, so I cant say that either wheel is vastly superior to the other. At least NOW with the fw update and the comfy pads (minimalistic too!), the sherman is comfortable enough that i can choose depending on what I want to do and know I'll be comfy  on ANY of my 3. 

The euc tech has redeemed itself for me, since the s18 fiasco. Thank goodness, as I was spiraling into doubts that we'd ever see another decent wheel get made. I can honestly say that I am UBER happy with the 3 wheels I have. Each one seems to be near PERFECT in what I expect it to do. None replaces the other, as I still ride the mten daily too. When finesse and comfort with a trolley, rollNZ cover, music and wide range of conditions are afoot, the 18L is my baby. When the menu for the day is slow and easy, the mten takes the cake. When the plan includes traffic, high speeds, and lotsa comfy miles...  power up the sherman! Theres some crossover in useability in my wheels, but each one firmly wins for its own category.

Hmm... what to bitch about now? Quick I better buy something new from China! Did I mention.. I am quite pleased with myself and the pads I created? Amazing how foot placement, pad distance and angle are pretty finicky. You really do gain comfort, accell/braking and control with the pads. Just thick enough to make it a soft ride but not enough to impede the free feeling of getting outside the pads easily. Plenty wide to afford movement of feet on the boards too.  It took a LOT of revisions and measuring. Even a 10mm change makes drastic difference to feel. In keeping with the simple format, I do think these can be made to sell for affordably (thinking about it).Its not too often that I am happy with anything, especially something I've made. Yeah, Im an ass to myself also. But... when it's right, o' man is it a glorious day at ShanesPlanet!:efefae4566:

powerPads1small.jpgppadsFinalsmall.jpg.f1730724208acdf23b7848071f9a94aa.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

expensive slab of epdm foam, table saw, router, sanding. Templates were autocad then printed. It took about 8 tries to get the angles right,.

They look good i thought you'd only just bought a 3d printer they are excellent 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I can honestly say that I am UBER happy with the 3 wheels I have. Each one seems to be near PERFECT in what I expect it to do

Are you feeling OK? What the hell have you been smoking? :roflmao:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen said:

They look good i thought you'd only just bought a 3d printer they are excellent 

Thank you. Yes, I just got my first printer a few months ago. I tried using tpu for pads, but no matter how I printed them, I couldnt make them soft enough for my bird legs. I had the foam from an idea to put pads on my 18L. I gave up on that as I like my rollNZ cover too much. The 18L doesnt need pads for the 'leisure' way I ride it anyhow. Luckily, the sherm arrived and I recalled having this foam. I Used the printer to assist in templates, so I can repeat the design more precisely. Its amazing how much a few mm makes a big difference in comfort and balance.

@travsformation I dont know wtf is wrong with my this last week or two. My golf game has been shit, still loving it. My house is a mess, don't care. My wheels ALL make me happy, how odd. Even my scooter wasnt a shitfest.  I am overjoyed that the update for the sherm was easy and even possible. Who would have expected my biggest complaint to actually be solved?!! Probably just the calm before the storm. I keep waiting for winter to hit and everything to go to shit... You know the usual outlook I have. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Did I mention.. I am quite pleased with myself and the pads I created? Amazing how foot placement, pad distance and angle are pretty finicky. You really do gain comfort, accell/braking and control with the pads. Just thick enough to make it a soft ride but not enough to impede the free feeling of getting outside the pads easily. Plenty wide to afford movement of feet on the boards too.  It took a LOT of revisions and measuring. Even a 10mm change makes drastic difference to feel. In keeping with the simple format, I do think these can be made to sell for affordably (thinking about it).Its not too often that I am happy with anything, especially something I've made. Yeah, Im an ass to myself also. But... when it's right, o' man is it a glorious day at ShanesPlanet!

Those look awesome, congrats! As not a great fan of pads myself...if I'm not sold either on the ones that came with the Sherman or the big-ass ones I ordered on the side, you might just have your first customer!

And now you have material for more vids! Pad-testing! Or even pad manufacturing! (As long as they include ranting and cussing and potentially offensive remarks) :D

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

@travsformation I dont know wtf is wrong with my this last week or two. My golf game has been shit, still loving it. My house is a mess, don't care. My wheels ALL make me happy, how odd. Even my scooter wasnt a shitfest. Probably just the calm before the storm. I keep waiting for winter to hit and everything to go to shit... You know the usual outlook I have.

:roflmao:

I dunno, I'm sensing a pretty clear-cut reason there: You have 3 wheels that you are happy with. And the rest doesn't matter because...you have 3 wheels that you're happy with. :D

• Like 3

I've ridden the sherman I few times and rode with friends my   battery on 16x went to 50% and sherman lost one bar I'd love the range on the sherman and how small and sort of nimble for a big wheeled euc ,, what i didn't like is lower pedal height, the first few minutes on the sherman I scaped the pedals many times to say how nimble the big wheel is its very scrapable and the other thing is the pedal dip while turning which probably adds to the scraping at lower speed ,,,,but the range I'd love that plus I like the look

• Like 1

Ah pedal scrapes.. the struggle is real! I am wating to see how badly it goes, when I scrape hard parts in a high speed sweeper. I've had to add peg lift brackets on bikes before. I wonder if anyone with a cnc could make some for the sherm? Who knows tho, its above my ability to make aluminum brackets. Would be a bitch to keep the pedals as close to the body AND have brackets to lift.

Anyhow, I think my sherman is done. All that is left is to ride and crash it. I added some horns to park it on. We'll see how those go. I am contemplating adding a very thin pad where my ankles rest, as I miss being able to hug with the ankles as easily as I can on my other wheels...

DSCN8096.thumb.JPG.2281aad7243f3c5d1f81d2d08fb00fc7.JPGDSCN8097.thumb.JPG.cdef1dddfc7aa861cc7661a3e499add5.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ah pedal scrapes.. the stuggle is real!

No! You are just to stupid to get used to. Just adapt to the low pedals and don't tilt the wheel while cornering. (that's what I have heard, not what I think) 

Here I found a helpful vid. 

Be happy that you can ride more safely straight ahead with high speed. :roflmao:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, buell47 said:

No! You are just to stupid to get used to. Just adapt to the low pedals and don't tilt the wheel while cornering. (that's what I have heard, not what I think) 

Be happy that you can ride more safely straight ahead with high speed. :roflmao:

High speed cornering won't be a problem i guess its the slow speed turning what catches and clearance off road riding , either way still a great machine ,,, its caught my eye still😊

24 minutes ago, buell47 said:

OOOOOH, so THATS how you do it? SIlly me, I have been training to do it all wrong. I mean shit, I've been leaning and sliding knees on motorcycles for decades and I finally realize its all in ignorance. Good to know that the Sherman is an incredibly safe wheel for those that live on a drag strip!

9 minutes ago, stephen said:

High speed cornering won't be a problem i guess its the slow speed turning what catches and clearance off road riding , either way still a great machine ,,, its caught my eye still😊

I dunno, I just watched a short vid of a man scraping pedal in a speed turn while seated. It was THAT video that cuaght my attention. Of course low speed scrapes is an issue, but I havent ridden a wheel yet, that doesnt share that same trait. I have managed to scrape the 18L in a mid speed turn and man does it make your butt pucker!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

either way still a great machine ,,, its caught my eye still

Yeah, The big battery, the 20 inch knobby tire and the speed is also something I like, but the low pedals and the low body with the crazy iron tubes that don't help in a crash and are only useful for screwing things on.

Apart from that there is nothing else that appeals to me about the wheel. 

Too many disadvantages if you believe the statements. Too little torque and acceleration from a standstill, bad braking effect, easy to dip at low speed. 

39 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Too many disadvantages if you believe the statements. Too little torque and acceleration from a standstill, bad braking effect, easy to dip at low speed

The dip really put me off and I've tried different 2 different shermans 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Are the Sherman pedals lower than an MSX? I ask because I have never hit the pedals on my MSX at anything over crawling speeds, and I carve pretty harshly. I think my bum would be wide open if I scraped a pedal at 25+ mph :shock2:

Msx are quite high compared to the shermans  lower height,,

3 hours ago, stephen said:

Msx are quite high compared to the shermans  lower height,,

Ah OK mate, cheers. So prob more nearer to the Z10 height then? At least the Z pedals cant be grounded at speed cos you can't lean it over lol. The Shermans ability to actually lean at speed would make me nervous with low pedals I think. Still a cracking wheel by all accounts though.

• Like 1

I can't find the video anymore, but I think it was @Marty Backe who got stuck on one of his first offroad rides on a ridiculously low obstacle with the lower front corner (roll cage) when he wanted to pass it at a slight angle.  By that time the Sherman was already gone for me.

But who knows, if Gotway doesn't release an RS HT with 2700wh battery by next spring, I'll think again about the Sherman. :efee612b4b:

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

I can't find the video anymore, but I think it was @Marty Backe who got stuck on one of his first offroad rides on a ridiculously low obstacle with the lower front corner (roll cage) when he wanted to pass it at a slight angle.  By that time the Sherman was already gone for me.

But who knows, if Gotway doesn't release an RS HT with 2700wh battery by next spring, I'll think again about the Sherman. :efee612b4b:

I have heard rumours about a 16" sherman on one of the groups  ,,I hope its true

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, buell47 said:

Valid concern for sure! Even after my update mitigated the pedal dip, its still REALLY easy to scrape. Of course, last time i scrubbed, it was the edge of my shoe and THAT about jerked my foot right off the pedal. I was completing a turn in the street at about 10mph. The pedal dip is less in sweeping turns, but its still there. As far as clearance: it aint much. There's definitely much better wheels out there for offroad or obstacles. Luckily I was just looking for a street wheel, and thats pretty much what I got. To be completely fair tho, I'm not 100% sold on the sherman. I'm finding the weight of it to be a little more than I prefer to worry about. Hell, just standing there with one foot or trying to trolley it, you REALLY get a sense of it being a pain in the ass. If i keep rolling, its great. Grading on a curve, the sherman is a good wheel. Its got a few minor issues and room for improvement, but its not bad at all. I do see me riding my 18L more often tho, as rarely do I NEED 30+ mph and more than 30 miles. For my attention span, the lighter more finesse wheel fits more often. Still, the sherm does what the 18L can't. Eventually it'll be nice enough out and I'll be on a place where the sheer range of the sherman makes it king.

Oddly, I lie awake in bed and began to have doubts. Thinking about how we lean our faces into the wind and rely on a circuit board of cheap chinese built components, makes me wonder if my pursuit of speed on an euc, is just plain stupidity. I have a supermoto that gives me that rush, so I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should rethink my hobbies and quit trying to make and enjoy the euc in a fashion that is wreckless. Its wreckless because I have to ignore that Im putting my life in the hands of Chinese company with the cheapest parts they can find... Ugh, shake it off, these are musings of an old man...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Valid concern for sure! Even after my update mitigated the pedal dip, its still REALLY easy to scrape. Of course, last time i scrubbed, it was the edge of my shoe and THAT about jerked my foot right off the pedal. I was completing a turn in the street at about 10mph. The pedal dip is less in sweeping turns, but its still there. As far as clearance: it aint much. There's definitely much better wheels out there for offroad or obstacles. Luckily I was just looking for a street wheel, and thats pretty much what I got. To be completely fair tho, I'm not 100% sold on the sherman. I'm finding the weight of it to be a little more than I prefer to worry about. Hell, just standing there with one foot or trying to trolley it, you REALLY get a sense of it being a pain in the ass. If i keep rolling, its great. Grading on a curve, the sherman is a good wheel. Its got a few minor issues and room for improvement, but its not bad at all. I do see me riding my 18L more often tho, as rarely do I NEED 30+ mph and more than 30 miles. For my attention span, the lighter more finesse wheel fits more often. Still, the sherm does what the 18L can't. Eventually it'll be nice enough out and I'll be on a place where the sheer range of the sherman makes it king.

Oddly, I lie awake in bed and began to have doubts. Thinking about how we lean our faces into the wind and rely on a circuit board of cheap chinese built components, makes me wonder if my pursuit of speed on an euc, is just plain stupidity. I have a supermoto that gives me that rush, so I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should rethink my hobbies and quit trying to make and enjoy the euc in a fashion that is wreckless. Its wreckless because I have to ignore that Im putting my life in the hands of Chinese company with the cheapest parts they can find... Ugh, shake it off, these are musings of an old man...

Ugh.  Give them some credit.   They have created and developed our hobby.   If you still pine for the 18L then you have your own preference that's obvious.

• Like 2