Yes, I do love the Sherman...so far

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Of note: Immediately upon showing my wife the wheel and turning on the flashing lights, she asked if it could be replaced or change color. Being a USA resident and driver, its all too obvious that flashing red OR blue lights, is reserved for law enforcement on the streets. I'm not sure its legal to have forward facing red lights at all, let alone flashing. Funny they went from blue to red and still didnt realize the issue at hand.

It is not legal in the USA to have red forward facing light either solid or flashing , it's reserved by motor vehicle code for fire/EMS. Blue light are also Illegal and reserved for police so guess which one gets enforced more. Easiest way to change it it to but some of the orange clear lens repair tape and put it over the red side sections or replace the headlight if you don't want them there at all. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

It is not legal in the USA to have red forward facing light either solid or flashing , it's reserved by motor vehicle code for fire/EMS. Blue light are also Illegal and reserved for police so guess which one gets enforced more. Easiest way to change it it to but some of the orange clear lens repair tape and put it over the red side sections or replace the headlight if you don't want them there at all. 

My mistake. I thought that being reserved for emergency personel meant that it was not legal for personal/public use. I do know that if you have blues or reds in your headlights, you WILL be stopped around here for it. I'd imagine it is regulated by state code if its not a federal code violation.  I do know you can get away with amber around here. Moot point as I just need not turn them on.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My mistake. I thought that being reserved for emergency personel meant that it was not legal for personal/public use. I do know that if you have blues or reds in your headlights, you WILL be stopped around here for it.  I do know you can get away with amber. Moot point as I just need not turn them on.

I used to work Fire/EMS  and I honestly don't think anyone would really care about the red lights unless you are doing something stupid like trying to get cars to move over or rolling through an accident scene otherwise you'll probably get the regular "What the hell is that thing?"  But any blue forward or rear face light will quickly get the attention of the local Barney Fife and you'll get to find out just how bored they are. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

I used to work Fire/EMS  and I honestly don't think anyone would really care about the red lights unless you are doing something stupid like trying to get cars to move over or rolling through an accident scene otherwise you'll probably get the regular "What the hell is that thing?"  But any blue forward or rear face light will quickly get the attention of the local Barney Fife and you'll get to find out just how bored they are. 

Very possible it would be overlooked. Of course, its best not to tempt ANYONE when rolling around on an unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered 80lb "wheel thing" that does 50+mph on public roads. Don't poke the bear or there may be NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Very possible it would be overlooked. Of course, its best not to tempt ANYONE when rolling around on an unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered 80lb wheel things that does 50mph on public roads. Don't poke the bear or there may be NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Since the flasher is all in the headlight and it's just another switched 12v at the plug I'm replacing the flashers with some COB LED driving lights that will mount in these clamp on light mounts I came up with.  I'm going to extend the brake light with these too but I need to make the light for that since its a 5V pixel array and not just a brake light. 

Veteran Light clamps v4.png

• Like 2

cool idea! Me, I dont even turn the damn light on anyhow. I was always one of those kids that removed the reflectors off his bike. Hell, I still pull that bullshit refelctive seam fabric off my jackets when I can. Some like being seen, some dont. I have knuckle lights for when I need to see to ride. You won't catch me in one of those neon vests by choice.... EVER!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Good review Shane, don't ever worry about how long a review is, always nice to hear your thoughts when I know they won't be floured up with any affiliated/backhanded bullshit.

Re your screw falling out, I think I would be very tempted to fit RivNuts and use short bolts. Same with any other shitty self tapping areas on the wheel that look a bit suspect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Good review Shane, don't ever worry about how long a review is, always nice to hear your thoughts when I know they won't be floured up with any affiliated/backhanded bullshit.

Re your screw falling out, I think I would be very tempted to fit RivNuts and use short bolts. Same with any other shitty self tapping areas on the wheel that look a bit suspect.

thanks, and is that an easy solution you are offering up? I'll have to look that up, as I've never heard of 'RivNuts'. Its is of a little concern for me, as its one of the 2 that holds each pedal on. However, I dont know if it supports much. I didnt feel like tearing it apart and having to think about it again. Many thanks on the info, maybe a simple solution is out there and I'll just preemptively correct all 4 and be prepared for the next. Hell, it wouldnt surprise me if ALL attachment opints to the tubing were the same. 

*ahh, rivet nuts. I was thinking I should just rivet the damn thing on and when the time comes I need to repair or take it off, just drill the bitch out and do it again.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

*ahh, rivet nuts. I was thinking I should just rivet the damn thing on and when the time comes I need to repair or take it off, just drill the bitch out and do it again.

Yeah there're great, I use them for all sorts of things, and good when trying to do something with a blind hole. Never as strong as a nut and bolt of course, but sufficient for most jobs. For anyone else unsure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

a classic example for those who may not have come across them before is for bicycles, where the water bottle cage is bolted to the thin walled alloy frame :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah there're great, I use them for all sorts of things, and good when trying to do something with a blind hole. Never as strong as a nut and bolt of course, but sufficient for most jobs. For anyone else unsure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivet_nut

a classic example for those who may not have come across them before is for bicycles, where the water bottle cage is bolted to the thin walled alloy frame :)

I'll have to look it over a bit. I have rivets and a rivet gun here. If I KNEW I could get the damn thing to come out once I drilled it (rather than stuck in the tube) I'd just go cheap and rivet it. I guess I need to look at some teardowns and see in what event would those need be removed at all. I decided to NOT drool over the info and speculate and research much on the Sherman. Hell, my last snafu of an euc, I spent WEEKS studying the tidbits, and we see how good that worked out for me.  Im printing some spacers atm. Hoping to get some better roll points in a crash...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Congrats. Good choice 👍 

Thanks! :D

You bought one too right? Skimming over another thread, I seen too remember you're still waiting for your wheel. Or waiting just for the batteries, which were shipped separately? 🤦‍♂️ 

Was that you? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised to hear when people say the sherman has such great acceleration. I must not be riding mine right yet, as I find it comparable to my Ks18L and of course: miserable in compare to the mten. I'm not complaining at all, but it does seem a little slow off the line. So many times when starting, I almost step off the front, as its just not under my foot when I take off, like I'm used to the 18 being. It happens quite often and I need to learn the sherm better. I just figure this is an indication that it does NOT start with as much agility as the 18, or my  foot would land exactly as assumed. I reviewed a ride of mine and can clearly see it happen. This isnt a complaint, as its obviously having to get more mass going as its a larger wheel. I also didnt notice it going from 10-20mph much differently than my 18. Again, not a complaint, but I did expect it to take off with more authority. I think its just fine and powerpads help a bit.

The pedal dip is driving me mad. I put the tiltback by +1 in the settings, and it helps a bit. Riding in hard mode helps also. But, they're merely bandaids to the problem. Hard mode seems to just wear my bones out a bit more than medium. Tiltback +1 may be nice, but I just am ocd about having all my wheels at 0. +2 was WAY too much for me. I'll play with the tilt more, but its still not the solution. I have to remember about the dip when riding around in the street, as its enough to catch you off guard in pivot turns and single lane play session of wandering. Uphill hi-speed turns are madenning. It takes a bit of effort to hit a turn at 35mph and dive into an uphill sweeper. You have to input MORE force to accelerate the turn and push out of the apex. When it dips and I'm already in an attack posture, it forces me to decrease my lean angle a tad and I lose turn authority. No big deal, but accelerating out of a turn, becomes "maintaining speed" at exit. Theres no gears on this thing, so I cant bang it down one to get that extra HP as I brake prior to turn entry. I could always LEAN INTO the dip, but man does that really push face angle. Im typically pushing with all i have on any pads already. Anyhow, all of this may be for naught, as Jason at e-wheels is kindly assisting me with a chip update. I really hope it goes well.

I am currently making myself some pads. Im not a power pad enthusiast, but i do think the sherman REALLY needs some. If I didnt plan on riding with some serious leverage and speed, I wouldnt bother mounting up the sherman anyhow. For long rides at speed and cruise control comfort, the sherman kicks some serious ass! My beloved 18L still beats the shit out of it for curve comfort and overall refinement, but i think the sherman covers ground the 18L can't. Once I get a chance to try the new pads out, perhaps the sherm will get a little bit more enjoyable to ride. As it is now, the sherman feels like a machine built for purposes that didnt include comfort and nimble. Still not complaining as its definitely a weapon and I LOVE having it. Its like a sport bike that sits in the garage, waiting for the perfect moment to break free from reality. My other wheels are more like daily drivers, but just as a civic can do what it does, the sport bike does something entirely different.

DSCN8076.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I'm surprised to hear when people say the sherman has such great acceleration. I must not be riding mine right yet, as I find it comparable to my Ks18L and of course: miserable in compare to the mten. I'm not complaining at all, but it does seem a little slow off the line. So many times when starting, I almost step off the front, as its just not under my foot when I take off, like I'm used to the 18 being. It happens quite often and I need to learn the sherm better. I just figure this is an indication that it does NOT start with as much agility as the 18, or my  foot would land exactly as assumed. I reviewed a ride of mine and can clearly see it happen. This isnt a complaint, as its obviously having to get more mass going as its a larger wheel. I also didnt notice it going from 10-20mph much differently than my 18. Again, not a complaint, but I did expect it to take off with more authority. I think its just fine and powerpads help a bit.

The pedal dip is driving me mad. I put the tiltback by +1 in the settings, and it helps a bit. Riding in hard mode helps also. But, they're merely bandaids to the problem. Hard mode seems to just wear my bones out a bit more than medium. Tiltback +1 may be nice, but I just am ocd about having all my wheels at 0. +2 was WAY too much for me. I'll play with the tilt more, but its still not the solution. I have to remember about the dip when riding around in the street, as its enough to catch you off guard in pivot turns and single lane play session of wandering. Uphill hi-speed turns are madenning. It takes a bit of effort to hit a turn at 35mph and dive into an uphill sweeper. You have to input MORE force to accelerate the turn and push out of the apex. When it dips and I'm already in an attack posture, it forces me to decrease my lean angle a tad and I lose turn authority. No big deal, but accelerating out of a turn, becomes "maintaining speed" at exit. Theres no gears on this thing, so I cant bang it down one to get that extra HP as I brake prior to turn entry. I could always LEAN INTO the dip, but man does that really push face angle. Im typically pushing with all i have on any pads already. Anyhow, all of this may be for naught, as Jason at e-wheels is kindly assisting me with a chip update. I really hope it goes well.

I am currently making myself some pads. Im not a power pad enthusiast, but i do think the sherman REALLY needs some. If I didnt plan on riding with some serious leverage and speed, I wouldnt bother mounting up the sherman anyhow. For long rides at speed and cruise control comfort, the sherman kicks some serious ass! My beloved 18L still beats the shit out of it for curve comfort and overall refinement, but i think the sherman covers ground the 18L can't. Once I get a chance to try the new pads out, perhaps the sherm will get a little bit more enjoyable to ride. As it is now, the sherman feels like a machine built for purposes that didnt include comfort and nimble. Still not complaining as its definitely a weapon and I LOVE having it. Its like a sport bike that sits in the garage, waiting for the perfect moment to break free from reality. My other wheels are more like daily drivers, but just as a civic can do what it does, the sport bike does something entirely different.

DSCN8076.JPG

Shane, you're lighter so you're naturally going to have a tougher time leaning a 77-lbs wheel over. However, I experimented with the pedal tilt quite a bit and the more you lean them backwards (+) the harder its going to be to get the wheel accelerating forward. I ride with a 2° forward pedal tilt (-) and I accelerate very quickly now and can get up to 50-MPH in no time if I want. I also ride in soft mode which lets me control the wheel better by granting more leverage.

But I do not expereince pedal dip so if you are I can understand your reluctance to tilt the pedals forward. I have firmware 1053.0. What version do you have?

Jason at eWheels tells me he's about to send me another update firmware module soon too.

I have no idea what fw version I have. My darknessbot says 'unsupported" and eucw may show me but i cant find it. If you had pedal dip, there's no way you would be able to set a forward tilt. I find it odd that a lot of people just dont know wtf I'm talking about. Well, not that they don't know, but they don't seem to have it on theirs. Trust me, its NOT in my head and if yours did it, theres no way in hell you wouldnt notice, I prefer medium mode and 0 tilt, but thats only when the wheel acts as it should. So far, hard and backwards tilt is the best way to mitigate the dip issue. I've accelerated with power pads on and it gets up to speed just fine. I just don't seem to be getting into the mid 20's any faster than an 18L would. Fast enough, but definitley not a rocket. Perhaps the fw update will change the behavior a little. Mine was first batch from e-wheels, tho i still dont know wtf all that entails as far as changes Veteran has made. I was told that they arent very open about the fw changes, so thats fukn lovely. I may be pretty light, but perhaps this is offeset by me being 6'3" tall and having leverage with long legs and being top heavy for a head full of rocks? I've never had a problem sliding knee pucks on my 500lb 1100cc bike. I  am good for hanging off the side of these machines like a monkey.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

@ShanesPlanetWell it's definitely your firmware then if DarknessBot is not even reporting what it is. Mine clearly reports 1053.0.

When you are about to choose your wheel in DarknessBot to connect to it, what does it list your wheel as being? Mine is LK1158. I'm told that means it's the 1,158th Sherman made.

Yours is probably a very low number and the original F/W that has pedal dip.

Once you get the firmware update module you'll probably be good to go.

I don't have a Sherman, going to wait for a while to get one when the "bugs" get all worked out.  I do understand the pedal dip as I've had it in other wheels.  It's very uncomfortable to put it mildly the first time it happens.  I was able to get used to it a little but still not having the dip is a much better option.  I hope it gets worked out.

On 11/2/2020 at 3:09 AM, Senior Coffee said:

I don't have a Sherman, going to wait for a while to get one when the "bugs" get all worked out.  I do understand the pedal dip as I've had it in other wheels.  It's very uncomfortable to put it mildly the first time it happens.  I was able to get used to it a little but still not having the dip is a much better option.  I hope it gets worked out.

It's already worked out. I have not experienced any pedal dip.

• Like 2

I need more money😁  i really want the sherman  more for the range than anything else its winter here nearly so maybe early next year but then again the sherman would be good for winter ,,can't win l

• Like 1