Hello!

I have a second set of LEDs (with the wiring/connector) pulled from another minipro. I'd like to wire them onto my ninebot s, as a second set of headlights, but I have zero knowledge of electrical theory.

My idea is that if connected in parallel to the existing lighting, it ought to be possible for the second set of LEDs to simply draw the extra power needed, without affecting anything else on the unit or upsetting it.

My hope is that this might be achieved simply by splicing wires together, but the fact that there are three wires is what confuses me. Might it be as simple as splicing each of the three wires to its counterpart? Does anyone with electrical knowledge, or even specifically knowledge of the electrical systems, have any advice on how/if this configuration might be possible to achieve?

Thanks for any help!

Programmable LED strips usually work off 5v DC with 3 wires  - ground, data, and 5v .  But sounds like you are talking about an on/off headlamp?  Usually these are part of a PCB that connects to the mainboard - if your idea is to cut the existing cable to solder in parallel, you will have same voltage but a current drop as you drive twice the load. PCB of the led light might have some logic to detect undercurrent etc and not work at all - but  you can restore the original setup if it does not work...

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, amelanso said:

Usually these are part of a PCB that connects to the mainboard - if your idea is to cut the existing cable to solder in parallel [...]

Thanks for your reply - yeah, like that more or less, here are some images of what I'm talking about. The LED wiring connects to the control board in the top left of the photo, it's the red and black wiring. I'm thinking of connecting my identical set of lights, shown in the other picture, in parallel, in hope that maybe the board would just provide the extra current 'requested' by the second set of lights. I have no idea if this would be as simple as wiring the matching wires to each other, or if it would even work at all, but I think it would be awesome to have the extra lighting on the trails at night.

20200919_142304b.jpg

20200919_142408b.jpg

try it  - you can always reverse if does not work... just make sure to heat wrap the solder points so you don`t cause a short. ANother option is to use suitcase connectors then you don`t have to solder anything:

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/3m/560%20(BOXED)/287161?utm_adgroup=Overstock&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Promotional Campaign&utm_term=&productid=287161&gclid=CjwKCAjw2Jb7BRBHEiwAXTR4jRDl6qoBpjnVLkeZNgazTBxPBzqhCZyxwPpqH2kL1ypX4FpShCWSCxoCLr8QAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Hey, thank you very much for the advice. I don't know anything about electrical connectors (yet) so thank you for the tip. I looked at this LED wiring more closely and it's 24 awg, but it looks like none of the suitcase connectors on that site are rated for that. Is there a different type of connector I'd use for this gauge wire, or would one rated up to 22awg work?

I really like the idea of these connectors because I'd rather not have to cut wires, at least on the main set of headlights. For where I plan to mount the second set of lights and string the wires, I'll need to extend that wiring by several feet. Would heat wrapping be the best option for joining these wire extensions, or is there a connector that would be easier? And, I assume I'd want to use the same 24awg for this, right?

Thank you for putting up with all my noob questions :P I'm looking forward to trying this out sometime soon!

• 2 months later...

Hello...i would recommend to remove current bezels, headlights and OEM headlight buckets: Unscrew the bezel to access the OEM headlight bucket. Drilling or grinding may be required if bucket is secured by rivets or the screws have become corroded. Remove the OEM bucket then unplug and remove the current headlight wiring from the truck. Note: Non-Peterbilt applications should require you to open the hood and detach the OEM rubber gasket from housing to unplug and remove current headlight wiring.