adding 2nd female connector to 84V charger

redsnapper

I have an XVE 84v 2A charger for a KS and I would like to add a GX16-4 pin female connector to be able to charge my V8 (charger broken). I will cut the XVE cable and splice/solder in a pigtail for the GX16. I will not be charging the wheels simultaneously. Anyone see an issue with doing this?

1 hour ago, Philip W said:

Then maybe it's easier to replace the V8's charging port to GX12-3? No need to splice cable and have extra cable dangling, just a simple one-time soldering?

I have 2 V8s with gx12-4 pin male port - I have only one v8 charger. I am selling one v8 with the charger. I need to add a gx12-4 female to my KS 84v charger so that I can still charge my v8...

Also you can make an easy short adapter cable: one end is gx12-4 female , and the other end is to the KS charger. This way you don't need to splice the cable. Just put the adapter cable on and you can charge the v8.

Don't ask me why I don't like splicing cable. I just really don't like extra cable with 84v dangling around while charging.

the ks charger ends with the male lenovo so u r saying i would put the female lenovo on one end of my adapter cable. yes grt idea as i can then avoid cutting into the KS cable... 

thx for good suggestion - i was abt to cut the cable tnt!!! -

sadly not so ez to find the female lenovo connector unless I want to order on ALI where it will take forever - drag :-(

Edited by amelanso

Lenovo  connectors are difficult to deal with. The pre made cables are not really made to handle 3 amps at 84 volts. If you are going to cut the cable, I would get a male and female gx 12-4 . Cut the lenovo connector off leaving a 6 inch pigtail with the lenovo connector.  Convert the charger to gx12-4 then use the female gx12-4  and the 6 inch pigtail with the male lenovo connector to convert back to Lenovo.

I just bought a fast charger with a lenovo connector. I will cut the lenovo connector off and add what I use as a standard connector (GX16-4 Gotway 84 volt configuration) Then I will use a female GX16-4 to convert back to lenovo or what ever else I might have in 84 volt. The key is to buy the charger with the lenovo connector so that you will have a high amp lenovo pigtail.

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Thx RT - I had some gx16s so I cut the KS charger cable and put a gx16 on the end of the charger side. I also put gx16 on the cut    side of the lenovo end. Then made another line with gx16 on one end and gx12 on the other ( for the v8 ). All tested - wrks aok!

gx12 is pretty small pins and not ez to solder to with anything but flimsy wire. Much prefer the gx16s.  

I did all the cables etc with pin 1- 2+  then i went to connect - oops ! frgt that when gx facing each other its mirror image - 3&4 go    with 1&2.  I shoulda laid them out to see that 1st! I cld disassemble ez enough and resolder the charger end to 3&4. 

Too bad there are so many damn connectors - gx16 is a very good one and sadly it is not used by all!

@NuRxG xt60 is great - if I had some I would hv used...

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 8:43 PM, RockyTop said:

Lenovo  connectors are difficult to deal with. The pre made cables are not really made to handle 3 amps at 84 volts. If you are going to cut the cable, I would get a male and female gx 12-4 . Cut the lenovo connector off leaving a 6 inch pigtail with the lenovo connector.  Convert the charger to gx12-4 then use the female gx12-4  and the 6 inch pigtail with the male lenovo connector to convert back to Lenovo.

I just bought a fast charger with a lenovo connector. I will cut the lenovo connector off and add what I use as a standard connector (GX16-4 Gotway 84 volt configuration) Then I will use a female GX16-4 to convert back to lenovo or what ever else I might have in 84 volt. The key is to buy the charger with the lenovo connector so that you will have a high amp lenovo pigtail.

@RockyTop resurrecting this thread and wanted to follow your work. I'm in the same boat - 84v 16x fast charger with Lenovo and wanna use it for 84v gotway as well.

'wondering if you can help on matching wire connections properly with a schematic or any instructions. I'm decent with soldering. TIA.

5 hours ago, Surfling said:

@RockyTop resurrecting this thread and wanted to follow your work. I'm in the same boat - 84v 16x fast charger with Lenovo and wanna use it for 84v gotway as well.

'wondering if you can help on matching wire connections properly with a schematic or any instructions. I'm decent with soldering. TIA.

Sure. 

Gotway
pin 1 +
Pin 2 - 

Lenovo
Outside +
inside -  

There is a pin in the center, it is not used on the Kingsong. 

So pin one on the Gotway goes to the outside of the Lenovo. Pin two on the Gotway goes to the inside on the Lenovo. The center pin in the Lenovo is not used. 

• 1 year later...

does a 2021 mten3 match this same gotway setup?

pin 1 +
Pin 2 -

I am looking at picking up an mten but guy lost the charger so will have to setup a pigtail on my 84v inmotion charger so I can connect to the mten gx16...

Thx guys!