Nikola+ New Control Board Temperature

I recently received and installed the latest gen 100V Nikola Control board to help alleviate overheat issues I have been having with my old board that was capped at 65C, as the new boards have increased this upper temperature threshold to 79C.

Got everything hooked up fine and verified all functions, including the fan are still operating as expected. 

Unfortunately, and rather ironically, what I am seeing is that the new board is running pretty significantly hotter than it's predecessor. On a short, cool night ride not even topping 20mph the board gets to and hovers around over 50C where the old one would be around 40C tops. I did this ride with my buddy who was on his 2500W MSP and his board never topped 38C. I know it's not quite apples to apples here but something definitely seems off. 

Does anyone have experience with these latest boards? I am wondering if maybe there is an updated cooling configuration on the new Nicola's and the 12V fan no longer cuts it? 

Screenshot_20200916-222606_myMail.jpg

Old board schematic

Screenshot_20200916-222549_myMail.jpg

New board schematic

Edited by OhPardonMe

For those who come after me. As mentioned, the new Gotway control boards come with fins on the bottom of the heat sink. Apparently, Gotway added a hole in the inner shell to allow these fins to vent to the outside. Older revisions of the Nikola do not have this hole. I used a dremel to recreate this and weather sealant and my overheat issues have completely resolved. Wheel is running cool as a cucumber now. 

Screenshot_20200917-120308_myMail.jpg

• Like 2