S18 Tiltback

Bridgeboy

I have my S18 set to 31 MPH maximum speed and have the first two alerts disabled and only the last alert set to 30 MPH. I have the same exact settings on my KS18XL.

On my KS18XL it will not tiltback until I push it all the way to 31 MPH, which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

However, on my new S18, it seems to randomly tiltback anywhere between 25 and 28 mph or so. I never even get to my alarm speed on 30 mph because it keeps tilting me back and making me stop accelerating.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am using Darknessbot. Also, what is the "handle" button in Darknessbot? What is that supposed to do?

8 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

@Jack King Song Do you know what's up with the tiltback with the S18? Does it need a firmware update?

From my experience
1. If you accelerate hard it'll tilt back before you reach cut out point. If slowly climb up to to 50km/h it wont be an issue. 

2. You may experience some small SMALL angle tilt before 50 but nothing significant that would prevent you from going to 50km/h if you have your mind set to it. 

Remember you can turn off alarm 1 and 2 by setting them to 0. 

10 hours ago, Jack King Song said:

From my experience
1. If you accelerate hard it'll tilt back before you reach cut out point. If slowly climb up to to 50km/h it wont be an issue. 

2. You may experience some small SMALL angle tilt before 50 but nothing significant that would prevent you from going to 50km/h if you have your mind set to it. 

Remember you can turn off alarm 1 and 2 by setting them to 0. 

@Jack King Song I do have the first two alarms disabled. And I have only tried going past 28 MPH very slowly and this tilt-back happens right at 28 MPH. I don't know if it's considered small tilt-back or not, but it's noticeable and I'm not inclined to push past it if its a warning from the wheel that cut-out might occur if I push past it. 

It's just that I also own the 18XL and it does not do this with the exact same settings...

57 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

@Jack King Song I do have the first two alarms disabled. And I have only tried going past 28 MPH very slowly and this tilt-back happens right at 28 MPH. I don't know if it's considered small tilt-back or not, but it's noticeable and I'm not inclined to push past it if its a warning from the wheel that cut-out might occur if I push past it. 

It's just that I also own the 18XL and it does not do this with the exact same settings...

How are you measuring speed? According to @Seba, the S18 seems to overstate its speed by about 6%.

21 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

How are you measuring speed? According to @Seba, the S18 seems to overstate its speed by about 6%.

With Darknessbot through my Apple Watch on my wrist. I have only one alarm set at 30 MPH and it never goes off because tilt-back happens before I get there.

And like I said, it does not happen on my KS18XL with exact same settings.

4 hours ago, Ádám Szitás said:

I think you are missing the point about the 18xl being much stronger battery wise, thats why it doesnt happen with it but happens with the s18

I understand the 18XL has a much larger battery, but this happens even with a 100% fully charged battery and even when only slowly accelerating. It happens right at 28 MPH when at 100% battery. Earlier when I said randomly between 25 and 28 I think was because of different battery levels. I've been doing some more experimenting since then. I'm about to go ride again now with 100% battery and test it some more.

Edited by Bridgeboy

I just noticed a firmware update 2.06 appeared and I updated. I'm not sure if that 2.06 update was meant this issue, the description in Soft Tuner says "handup function better."

And I just came back from a ride starting with 100% battery. It seemed to go all the way to max speed at 100% battery but not very long after it started to tilt back at slower speeds around 27 or 28 MPH again. Although it seemed like a more subtle tilt-back. So if this F/W update was meant to fix this premature tilt-back then I think it improved it, but it's still there.