18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)

RagingGrandpa

On 11/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, EMA said:

C113 is good but have not the "rail" feel of a michelin or a k66 for example.

@EMAlooking at the k66 for msp ht, is it a good tire for a street only rider? Kinda looks like an offroad tire. 

I like the Michelin street 2 on my exn (80/90-14). I tried the same tire in a smaller size for the msp (70/90-14), but could not for the life of me get the damn thing on there. i got it half on there, but the tire isn't wide enough to install the inner tube. Felt obvious and hopeless.

1 hour ago, Denny Paul said:

@EMAlooking at the k66 for msp ht, is it a good tire for a street only rider? Kinda looks like an offroad tire.

It does carve a bit differently, promoting a slight motorcycle-style lean into the curve. But I like the overall stability and slow speed control so much that I haven’t tried a tire I’d rather ride on even on pavement only.

1 hour ago, Denny Paul said:

I tried the same tire in a smaller size for the msp (70/90-14), but could not for the life of me get the damn thing on there. i got it half on there, but the tire isn't wide enough to install the inner tube. Felt obvious and hopeless.

70/90 sure must be tight. Even on a 80/80 it seems easier to put the inner tube inside the outer tube before putting the outer tire on the rim. Then the valve in first, and then putting the outer tire on as if it were tubeless.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:29 AM, Denny Paul said:

I like the Michelin street 2 on my exn (80/90-14). I tried the same tire in a smaller size for the msp (70/90-14), but could not for the life of me get the damn thing on there. i got it half on there, but the tire isn't wide enough to install the inner tube. Felt obvious and hopeless.

70/90 even on the same 14 rim it's smaller, not a good size for our EUC imho

k66 and pilot street are both great :

try the k66 for fun! or if you want something a bit better for off-road and wet/mud surfaces, carve a bit differently like @mrelwood said

if you like the Michelin Street 2 and want the same feeling on the other wheel don't change, should have a bit more on streets ( not sure if we can get this on euc limited speed )

Edited by EMA

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, EMA said:

both measured on "classic gotway rim" EXN in this case:

kenda k340            73.6 mm

k66  80/90-14        73.7 mm

IMG_20211029_122028.jpg

IMG_20211029_121925.jpg

Thinner rim = smaller tire width when installed?

I wonder what width would be on kingsong 18xl rim.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Street 2 on the first gen Sherman rims (I believe 40mm wide rim)?   I tried to get mine to seat properly but it just wouldn't work (it would mount, but looking from the front the tire would bob up and down, so I finally put the stock tire back on.  I thought about getting the 2nd gen rim (60 mm) and seeing if it works on that.

1 hour ago, 67SS said:

I tried to get mine to seat properly but it just wouldn't work (it would mount, but looking from the front the tire would bob up and down

All tires tend to do that on EUC rims to some extent, until they are manually centered/aligned.

- Once you have the tire installed, place the wheel upside down before inflating. For example hanging on the opened pedals between two chairs.

- Follow the alignment line on the tire, and wherever it bulge out away from the rim, push the tire inwards. And vice verse.

- Once you are happy with the results, add roughly 6 psi / 0.4 bar into the tire.

- Repeat the last two steps a few times, until the tire can no longer moved by hand.

- Inflate fully, and ride for a week to see if the remaining offset straightens itself out.

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 4:29 AM, Denny Paul said:

I had same issue with tube on a V11. So this is what I did. 

Tire lubricant is your friend. Nope I really mean it. I bough a bucket for 20€, best money spend. 

So there are 2 ways to go either insert valve in the rim first or mount one side and the push it to the wrong side. Then it should look like this:

Tire => (    )      <-slide in tube from this side. 

[    ] <=rim

Then you push tire back over the area of the valve the pull the tube under the tire wall. 

The key doing this way is you don't need cleaning to push valve into the rim as it is already there so you only need the space of a flat compressed tube. And the time you have the most option to move the tire is when you slide it over the valve area. 

I can't say why I spend so much before time thinking of this. But I guess my Danish attitude made it impossible to admit defeat by a tire. 🤔😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the 18x3.0 H666 tire. The shipment of 1000 tires arrived at Ewheels last week. My tires have arrived and look great. I can't wait to install them on all my 18" wheels. I highly recommend giving this tire a try. I've go 8000 miles on my original one and never once had a flat. It carves great, does well in the dirt and will last forever. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, FlyboyEUC said:

Update on the 18x3.0 H666 tire. The shipment of 1000 tires arrived at Ewheels last week.

@FlyboyEUC that's brilliant news and will be very welcomed by many riders Stateside, especially those that know of the great All round qualities the H666 offers!

Also, a big Well Done goes to @Jason McNeil in getting Chao Yang to produce this quantity of a very hard/impossible to find size option!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Heads up, the H666 only fits on 40mm wide rims. It doesn't fit on the 60mm wide rim. I tried for a good 4 hours today. The inner bead diameter is smaller than the step in the V2 Sherman rim so it prevents it from seating. I'm super bummed :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FlyboyEUC said:

Heads up, the H666 only fits on 40mm wide rims. It doesn't fit on the 60mm wide rim. I tried for a good 4 hours today. The inner bead diameter is smaller than the step in the V2 Sherman rim so it prevents it from seating. I'm super bummed :(

Good to know, and quite unexpected!

What happens when you inflate the tube in this configuration, it doesn't push the bead onto the rim anyway?

I'd recommend the C-6004 as next best thing, similar or better pattern and it fits the 60mm rim no problem.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, Planemo said:

Awesome, I agree I think the City Pro is the best option for a true, decent MC tyre out there for EUC fitment. It's the only one I have seen which can be purchased tubed (unlike the Michelin Pilot). I would still like to see what the 70/90 fitted like on the MSX, but as I have now sold mine I've not looked into it further. For sure though, I would use the 80/90 on my Sherman. Maybe one day I will try it, but the knobby works so well I may sit it out for a while.

I have the Michelin pilot street 2 and having a hard time finding an inner tube for it. I have the 70/90-14 size as I figured the 80 would be too wide. However, the stock MSX inner tube is too big for the 70/90 pilot. Has anyone else run into this issue? The aspect ratio is noticeably less on the pilot then the stock MSX tire. The 70/90-14 Michelin is also 2.75” wide and less width then the stock MSX tire. 

We did manage to get it ln the MSX but the inner tube is pinched and jt won’t hold air. The funny thing js you can ride ln the Michelin pilot with zero air in the tire (since it’s so stiff/rated tubeless) It actually felt stable even with zero air in it haha. 
But any suggestions on a smaller tube for that 70/90 size ?

On 11/6/2021 at 11:29 PM, Denny Paul said:

Seems like a smaller inner tube is out there to make this work? No luck today putting Michelin pilot 2 on my friends MSX as the stocK tube is too big. We got it on and tried to ride it but pinched the tube so no air.

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I have the Michelin pilot street 2 and having a hard time finding an inner tube for it. I have the 70/90-14 size as I figured the 80 would be too wide. However, the stock MSX inner tube is too big for the 70/90 pilot. Has anyone else run into this issue? The aspect ratio is noticeably less on the pilot then the stock MSX tire. The 70/90-14 Michelin is also 2.75” wide and less width then the stock MSX tire. 

We did manage to get it ln the MSX but the inner tube is pinched and jt won’t hold air. The funny thing js you can ride ln the Michelin pilot with zero air in the tire (since it’s so stiff/rated tubeless) It actually felt stable even with zero air in it haha. 

18x2.5 tube should work. I put K66 80/80-14 tire on my 18xl, used same tube.

BTW > 70/90-14 tire is very small. Height alone is around 50mm no? From where tire/rim meets.

I would search for 80/80-14 or 80/90-14 tire better.

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

18x2.5 tube should work. I put K66 80/80-14 tire on my 18xl used same tube.

BTW > 70/90-14 tire is very small. Height alone is around 50mm no? From where tire/rim meets.

I would search for 80/80-14 or 80/90-14 tire better.

The 80 width is too wide to fit MSX

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The 80 width is too wide to fit MSX

80 means it "max" width.. It's true size can be from 73mm to 80mm. Need to search.

Example: K66 80/80-14 true width is 76mm. (+ Any tire can be cut if want) I cut mine K66, it's width now is ~66mm (lost 10mm in cutting)

11 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

18x2.5” should indeed work.

Many if not most 80/90-14 tires fit an MSX/MSP/RS without modifications.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/7/2022 at 1:39 AM, supercurio said:

What happens when you inflate the tube in this configuration, it doesn't push the bead onto the rim anyway?

75% of the bead seats and the other 25% stays in the valley. I pumped it up to 55 PSI but I didn't want to go much further. I knew it was too small.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that update. I had never even heard of the City Grip, only the City Pro. I must admit, I would have thought a 90/90 was gonna be tight, glad to hear you got in in though. Also interesting to hear that the ride is OK, and your result seems to be similar to what @ShanesPlanet got with his Pirelli. The hardness of the full MC tyres is what keeps putting me off fitting one, but both of you seem to feel they are OK. Interesting.. 

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to 18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)