18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)

RagingGrandpa

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, supercurio said:

Update on findings so far

Michelin City Grip is a favourite of scooter OEM and riders for many years. It's renowned for its comfort and all weather performance.

Michelin City Grip 2 is considered improvement over the City Grip with more solid cornering, its heavier and has stiffer carcass, which I'm not sure it's a good or bad thing for EUC riding. However it's said to handle uneven road surfaces and city riding hazards great, including being little subject to tramlining.

Both Michelin City Grip tires are said to be good performers on wet and off-road thanks to their pronounced pattern, handling terrain, gravel, and even some mud competently.

Michelin City Pro seems to be more a more affordable, durability oriented, puncture resistant option with somewhat mixed results. Not as appreciated as the City Grip series.
@DjPanJanlikes the City Pro on his MSP however, comparing to the ChaoYang CYT H-5167 which is my favourite so far.
The City Pro visually looks like it has a taller profile than the City Grips, hence the nimbleness? Not sure.

Pirelli Angel Scooter has a higher profile compared to the City Grips, which makes steering a lot more dynamic. That might be a good thing to keep the wheel nimble, or a con for stability at high speed.
Fellow EUC riders tried it on their S18, and noted significant improvements on stability, lack of wobble compared to various stock S18 tires.
However it was noted that because it is stifferthe Angel Scooter wasn't absorbing gravel and roots vibration off-road as well as the CY-H5102.

michelin_city_grip_scooter_tires_front_750x750.jpg

The smallest 14" size for City Grip is 90/90-14 46P.

Too wide for MSuper; probably also too wide for Sherman...

• Like 2

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to 18x3 street tire catalog (MSuper's, Sherman, etc)

Thanks a lot for this thread, I was looking for options for my future MSP HS. I don't feel really safe about having Chinese "quality" tire on my wheel.

Just wondering how the Michelin Pilot street, Contiscoot or Pirelli Angel would grip on off-road. I will use my wheel for 80% on-road but still would like a good enough grip on dirt. I was driving pretty fast on dirt with a Derby 50cc with no troubles. No idea how it'll do on a MSP HS as I haven't received it yet.

For the price of those tires, it won't hurt to try.

8 hours ago, bASKOU said:

Thanks a lot for this thread, I was looking for options for my future MSP HS. I don't feel really safe about having Chinese "quality" tire on my wheel.

Just wondering how the Michelin Pilot street, Contiscoot or Pirelli Angel would grip on off-road. I will use my wheel for 80% on-road but still would like a good enough grip on dirt. I was driving pretty fast on dirt with a Derby 50cc with no troubles. No idea how it'll do on a MSP HS as I haven't received it yet.

For the price of those tires, it won't hurt to try.

Pirelli is 40% owned by China. Its not a crap tire, but its Chinese now too. Having said that. My 80/80/14 is marvelous on street/sherman. @RagingGrandpa summed it up fairly well. As for dirt, it does as you would suspect... mediocre. Anything like wet grass or mud and its slick as snot. Its NOT a hybrid tire and its defintely cut for awesome street use. Im 80% street and it suits me. When I do offroad, its not aggressive anyhow. You cant get the best of both worlds, but you can get tolerable at both. The stock offroad kenda for the sherm is good at both. The Angel, great at one, barely passable at the other.

I dont think the 90/80/14 would fit the sherm. Im measuring about 84-85mm from rib to rib inside the sherm well. My 80/80/14 angel measured around 76-78mm mounted on v2 sherm rim, iirc. I run mine 'backwards'.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Pirelli is 40% owned by China. Its not a crap tire, but its Chinese now too.

Pirelli is an old tire company, and the tires they sell are made for EU, USA, JP standards, contrary to the tires we have on our wheels are made to meet Chinese standards for most of them. I can tell in some Asian countries, like in Vietnam I used to live the kenda and CST tires are widely used and the difference between it and others like Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc is huge. What matters is not the owner of the company but the targeted market. Pirelli would loose everything if they dropped the quality of they tires.

I would never buy a Michelin tire that is designed for China, India or Vietnam market, it would be same than a CST or Kenda 

• Like 1

City Pro 80/90-14 didn't fit my MSX... too wide, lots of rub in lots of places, and I would have to shave the tire an unsafe amount to clear the shell :(

Should be fine for Sherman. (And maybe EX.N?)

Width was about 3.060" when mounted and inflated.

ACtC-3cmzkDUJFEJN6983JX23MYs3Ou8KNkcqWt7L5EsbcEVvXb0RLYFlpaD5PugFpnub2FUkH7UJDVhV-Cw0SOA43d0D6RgaojDIlVNSJ8vBNSet9RRQC-LmJ-DskKOHfdmZCQzH-coJaFm9PpLqCJVwHmUYQ=w1284-h1274-no?authuser=0

vs H5102 which is 2.720"

ACtC-3fWDZszdINZ-V_f1K4YntjS_mpO_lOEIMVuQLT25zg0pRGGVuQIGLx98EquKtLJWkRnH9FdV7Cz7wbMzd2viH7Au0AEEkrIC98VEi60orQjrGZYOjYxSU-sDkn-3jxaIUU-qBOkff8ybdY7Pno7zyKKSQ=w1154-h1274-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

City Pro 80/90-14 didn't fit my MSX... too wide, lots of rub in lots of places, and I would have to shave the tire an unsafe amount to clear the shell :(

Should be fine for Sherman. (And maybe EX.N?)

damn :(

prob on sherman and exn is fine (ex also), there's more room for tire

• 3 weeks later...

Did you go for the tubed or tubeless version?

Looking at the tyre profile at the bottom of the pic, it does look pretty 'pinched' at the sides. I do wonder if a 70/90 would give a better profile, and doubt it would actually be any narrower on the skinny rim. Still, glad it works for you :)

• Like 1

Perhaps its mostly the Perspektive of the Photo..

All i can say ist, that the grip ist really good on graveled paths and in the Woods, even steep uphill, perhaps this Photo helps to See the tire profile

I mounted IT as a rear tire and its the Tube Version 

IMG_20210623_201246.jpg

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Perhaps its mostly the Perspektive of the Photo..

I doubt it. My 80/90 Michelin Pilot looked exactly the same in person on my MSX rim. IMO a 40mm rim is way too narrow for an 80 width motorcycle tyre and makes the profile extremely 'pointy'. Like I say though, whatever works for you.

I asked about tubed/tubeless because the tubeless will be heavier and less compliant but again if you are happy with the comfort then thats good to hear.

• Like 1

Yes for Sure its rounder than other tires, but i Ride at 22psi for that tire..so its not that pointi i guess..

yes thats why i Went for a tubed Version motorcycle tire..

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

i Ride at 22psi for that tire..so its not that pointi i guess..

True, I see your point (no pun). But we're then going into the realms of what we had to do with the Z10 - run really low pressures to avoid harshness.

19 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

yes thats why i Went for a tubed Version motorcycle tire..

Sorry, I could have sworn you wrote tubeless in your post...

I do wonder how your tyre compares to the stock type at the same pressure - interesting to hear you have the tubed type, I think you're the only person that I have heard of with one. I would imagine it rides much better. For sure, the 80/90 Pilot (tubeless) I tried was a LOT harsher, even when I dropped the pressure down to 20psi (I used 25 on the 5102). And even then it handled pretty crap, nowhere near as nice as the 5102. Probably not helped by running it at 20psi but it's like a vicious circle - compliance Vs handling. And the way the tyre profile dropped off on the edges made it nasty when hard cornering - it literally felt like you were going to run out of tyre. Which, technically, you were.

All I wanted was a super grippy road tyre, made out of decent rubber by a big brand that handled and had compliance like the stock tyre. It seems to be a bit like the holy grail though.

• Like 2

I think the City Pro is one of very rare Tube Type tires out there and its for sure softer than the tubeless motorcycle tires ...

On the original RS Tire i Road at about 5 PSI more...with near same results in terms of "softness"...

I tested the CST 186 too and was not to happy about its Handling, on and offroad with the RS...

• Like 2

tried the cst 1773 on a brand new nikola+ (16x3.0) , really good tire with deep threads, easy to tilt and less gyro than 1488 .

anyone knows if this tire exist on 18' size ?

• 3 weeks later...

I received an Avon AM63 Viper Stryke.  From the specs, I expected that it might fit the EX.  However, it is much wider than the shell.

11 hours ago, n2eus said:

I received an Avon AM63 Viper Stryke.  From the specs, I expected that it might fit the EX.  However, it is much wider than the shell.

Which size was that?

5 hours ago, n2eus said:

80/90-14

Just throwing out an idea, but I recall the MSX well opening to start rounding pretty low, so if you put a taller tire in, the opening will have narrowed at the crucial spot. The wheel well itself is of course more roomy. Did you happen to check if filling the edge of the opening could allow the tire to fit?

• Like 1

No, I decided not to attempt installation after measuring the width of the tread portion (85mm/3.35").  Hard street rubber.  I'd be surprised if someone fit it in 85mm shell opening of EX/EXN.

Edited by n2eus

3.35”??? Ok, that definitely is way too much. That’s much wider than the other 80/90-14 tires I’ve heard being tried on EUCs. Sorry to hear you had such bad luck with your tire!

On 7/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, n2eus said:

No, I decided not to attempt installation after measuring the width of the tread portion (85mm/3.35").  Hard street rubber.  I'd be surprised if someone fit it in 85mm shell opening of EX/EXN.

Fwiw I had a chat with someone at a different forum who really likes this tire on the EXN. No mention of having modified the wheel to get it to fit. Harder compound, as you say, he and his friend like it because it has a rounder profile and is more playful and quicker to respond to input. (His favorite for the EX.N is the Michelin Pilot Street 2, which I would love to try if I ever get that wheel)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, n2eus said:

I decided not to attempt installation after measuring the width of the tread portion (85mm/3.35").

The narrow EX.N rim will squeeze the tire and make it more narrow... it was dramatic with the 80/90-14 CityPro I had...
Did you try mounting and inflating it?

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

The narrow EX.N rim will squeeze the tire and make it more narrow... it was dramatic with the 80/90-14 CityPro I had...
Did you try mounting and inflating it?

Understood.  I'll probably try it at some point.  For now, I am happy with the k340.

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to 18x3 street tires (MSuper's, Shermans, S22, etc)