Where do you buy Motor/wheel for custom design?

Rodo

Hi all,

The EE (Electrical Engineer) in me thinks it should be fun to design a PCB for a EUC. But the EE in me also knows how complex simple looking projects can get and how long they take to completion. Still ... I may like to "play" with a PCB design. I was looking at how EUC work and I realized the PCB is not the problem for me. The things that stop me are the mechanical stuff .... like where would I get a wheel/motor to start playing/designing a PCB? Any sources for a 16 inch wheel/motor? Yeah, technically the wheel/motor is electrical too but the mechanical stuff stops me ...lol.

Thanks  

ewheels sells replacement parts.  A bit expensive though

aliexpress has a plethora of 12"-24" wheel rims with hub motors for you to choose from.

Trampa VESC6 ESC is commercially available and it has internal IMU for balancing as well as an balance app with full PID loop customization, tiltback angles and speeds, and other features.  It is a very capable ESC that is used in the DIY electric skateboard market.

The only downside for that is its price and it has max 60v (or 75v version).

Designing a balance high voltage motor controller and firmware from scratch is quite a task.  Good luck if you decide to go this route though :)