Don’t brake too hard...

So... I learned a lesson today. I had my first cutout from braking too hard.

I became too comfortable pushing the limits of my KingSong 16X. Riding hard. Braking hard. I came to a T in the road, already braking really hard. Looked left, then right, then as I’m close to fully stopped, I check left again as I’m deciding to slowly roll through the right hand turn and here comes a car doing 60 in residential. I’d cranked the wheel to stop the last 2 mph and backplanted. The wheel tumbled about 3 feet and got some scratches/dings and I was fine. 

So don’t push it with braking. Has anyone else experienced a braking cut out?

Early combinations of board versions and certain FW versions lacked sufficient torque in both accel/decel situations. Also all the other factors are relevant as well, like: temperature, your riding weight, age and history of the wheel, etc... Don't ride around cars until you figure out what happened.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ManjaroBlack said:

No. It was still on. 

I recently had a similar situation on my MSP , but luckily rode it out. I was trying to show off and decided to stomp the wheel to a halt while going 25mph and the wheel went all over the place (veering/wobbling). I was basically out of control. Lesson learned, lol.

Edited by gon2fast

On 9/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, ManjaroBlack said:

No. It was still on. 

That sounds like overbrake. Invert everything by 180 degrees: you are going very slowly backwards and suddenly you try a really hard forward acceleration, resulting in overlean. :-)

20 hours ago, Altaire. said:

CNNI thought breaking generated energy, why would it cut out? 

If the battery is full and there is nowhere to put the energy without the risk of damaging (and potentially setting on fire) something, the wheel can do just one thing - shut down.  Or if the current flowing through the wheel got really, really high. Current wheels should just rarely have a cutout as such, but going downhill with a full battery charge done on the top of the hill is still a very plausible scenario. Most of the time for accidents like the OP, it's just overlean, where the wheel tries with all it's power, but it's not strong enough, so you face/backplants anyway. 

• Like 1