Veteran rear light not working.

null

My sherman doesn’t seem to power on the rear light, whether the front on in or off.
Switching modes with the light button doesn’t do anything, nor does short press on power button. The tail light doesn't turn on when charging either.
The jack connection seem fine. The socket has 5V power.

Any technique or setting I’m missing out on?
I'll check the connections when opening the top lid..

Edited by null

The rear light should come on automatically once the wheel is powered on. One the control pannel there is a *bL setting which is for the back light, make sure that is on.

10 hours ago, Shield said:

The rear light should come on automatically once the wheel is powered on. One the control pannel there is a *bL setting which is for the back light, make sure that is on.

Thanks, I tried in case I had missed some setting but "BL" only sets the LCD backlight.

• Like 1

Removed the jack to test for voltage: it does output 5V so it seems the lamp is dead.

Opened it up but not much to see and the goop around the solders is difficult to get rid of without destroying everything.

I guess I’ll have to replace it.

Anybody knows if fix light and brake light are two separate signals? The 3 jack cables are soldered to the board, so I suppose so..

047E43AD-8E01-4BA2-8C88-E7051A3DFC8A.jpeg

Edited by null

3 minutes ago, null said:

Removed the jack to test for voltage: it does output 5V so it seems the lamp is dead.

Opened it up but not much to see and the goop around the solders is difficult to get rid of without destroying everything.

I guess I’ll have to replace it.

Anybody knows if fix light and brake light are two separate signals? The 3 jack cables are soldered to the board, so I suppose so..

047E43AD-8E01-4BA2-8C88-E7051A3DFC8A.jpeg

Its not a regular LED its a pixel so it needs a signal and 5v. Did you try to tap the power button when on? that turns the rear light on and off

• Like 1

I’ve been tapping the power button at different speeds for days now, it doesn’t do anything. When charging the rear light is not on either.. The current is there but it doesn’t power on at any time.

When I'm home later I'm going to see what protocol the light signal is on mine , just got it yesterday, and I may have an easy way to see if its the light on yours thats bad or if the signal isnt being sent. I'm making a bigger tail light and rear stop so I have to map them anyways

That’s great to hear, I was interested in replacing it in the long run too. They probably don’t use anything too custom. I’d be glad to hear of your findings.

Even if it was turned off by the power button I believe it should power on at charge, hence I believe it might not work anymore.

Charging has also had some weird behavior, I hope it’s not some parasitic current.

Edited by null

On 9/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, null said:

That’s great to hear, I was interested in replacing it in the long run too. They probably don’t use anything too custom. I’d be glad to hear of your findings.

Even if it was turned off by the power button I believe it should power on at charge, hence I believe it might not work anymore.

Charging has also had some weird behavior, I hope it’s not some parasitic current.

I hooked the taillight up to a lighting controller and it is a WS2812 GRB 5v pixel array with 20 pixels .  You can check the voltage on the plug tip and it should be 5v probably more like 5.3v  usually though and the middle space on the plug should be around 1V and the last ring of the plug is ground.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had some light back after fidling with some contact cleaner, and thought it should get fine if I got the kafuter silicone back without shorting the cables. Some pale light (a few flickers) stayed on during the operation, then when EUC was turned off and on again, it didn't work anymore.

Testing with a male-male mini jack cable showed 5v and 1v output where should be.

I normally wouldn't mind just replacing the lamp, but 60$ for 3$ worth of ugly hardware is highly annoying.
Good for everyone else that this doesn't seem common :wacko:

It might have started after updating to FW 1.053.
If I could ever get the update chip I wait for I'll see if it makes a difference.

Edited by null

2 hours ago, null said:

I had some light back after fidling with some contact cleaner, and thought it should get fine if I got the kafuter silicone back without shorting the cables. Some pale light (a few flickers) stayed on during the operation, then when EUC was turned off and on again, it didn't work anymore.

Testing with a male-male mini jack cable showed 5v and 1v output where should be.

I normally wouldn't mind just replacing the lamp, but 60$ for 3$ worth of ugly hardware is highly annoying.
Good for everyone else that this doesn't seem common :wacko:

It might have started after updating to FW 1.053.
If I could ever get the update chip I wait for I'll see if it makes a difference.

If buy any pixel controller like a SP110e , around $10 USD on Amazon , you can test the rear light. With a Sp110e you would  use a 5v wall adapter plugged into the controller and the and then touch the red wire to the tip of the 3.5 plug and the DAT wire, usually green wire, to the second ring on the plug and the ground wire to the lowest ring on plug. I usually just use a small piece of tape to hold the wires on.  It should light up but you may have to go into the app and select some stuff but not normally.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip, that's a decent price to be able to test and also possibly build an alternative rather that getting an other diamond shape.
Thanks also for the care and the instructions. I will look into the controller and get back if it gets anywhere :)