Gotway tesla v2 (1480wh) VS kingsong 16x (1554wh)

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I haven't seen any comparisons anywhere between these two wheels and thought I'd start one

I am comparing the tesla V2 (1480wh version) and the kingsong 16x

- They are both powerful and capable 16" wheels

- The kingsong has marginally more battery (5% more).  And thus the range should be around the same.  Although kingsong wheels limits the speed at 50%.  The tesla is capable of top speeds until near 20% battery, but that'll definately kill range if you ride aggressive like that.

- Their top speeds are similar ~50kph top speed.  ~40-45kph rated speed

- The rated motor power is 1900w vs 2000w which is pretty much the same

- looks/style depends on the end user. But I think king sons has an edge

- Price: you can get the gotway tesla v2 1480wh shipped with tax/duties included for $1100usd on aliexpress. Cheapest kingsong I can find is ~$1990

- Aliexpress / modded battery risks vs buying and supporting local caveat

- Kingsong build quality generally better than gotway build quality

I have ridden the gotway tesla for 2550kms before upgrading to the gotway nikola.  But have not rode the kingsong yet so I cant comment on the "ride feel"

Is there anything I am missing?  These two similar spec'd wheels, but one cost 80% more.  I am aware of the negatives surrounding aliexpress/modded batteries/gotway quality/ no after sales support.  But 80% is a lot to justify for that.

Maybe others that have ridden the two wheels can chime in?

Two wheels with similar range, speed, and power....but one costs $800 more.  I think it's a pretty clear and easy choice in my opinion...but as a Gotway owner, maybe I'm biased....I don't see any compelling reason to spend $800 more on the Kingsong though.  If I were spending that kind of money I'd be getting something like an Msuper MSP or inmotion V11 instead.

Man, @Mike Sacristan, I love the way you describe these things.  A few months ago I read the stuff you were writing and had a hard time translating the metaphor into real life.  But now that I have some experience on my belt and have ridden a few different wheels, I'm really appreciating these descriptions more.

On topic, I haven't ridden either of those wheels so I can't comment from direct experience.  But I was looking at similar options and ended up picking up an 84v Nikola (could have gone MSX too) priced in between the Tesla and 16X because I thought it was a nice middle ground.  I don't regret it.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies. Yeah a $1700 KS 16x would make the price gap slightly smaller.

Good points of all the additional features that kingsong has over gotway.  Guess it'll ultimately be up to the user if all those small features are worth it

I was also under the impression that kingsong limits the top speed after 50% battery for all their wheels (like the KS 18XL).  Like a firmware speed cap to start tilting back.  Not the battery capability. 

14 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Man, @Mike Sacristan, I love the way you describe these things.  A few months ago I read the stuff you were writing and had a hard time translating the metaphor into real life.  But now that I have some experience on my belt and have ridden a few different wheels, I'm really appreciating these descriptions more.

On topic, I haven't ridden either of those wheels so I can't comment from direct experience.  But I was looking at similar options and ended up picking up an 84v Nikola (could have gone MSX too) priced in between the Tesla and 16X because I thought it was a nice middle ground.  I don't regret it.

Thanks! :)

The 84v Nik is a very nice wheel. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

3 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

Thanks for your replies. Yeah a $1700 KS 16x would make the price gap slightly smaller.

Good points of all the additional features that kingsong has over gotway.  Guess it'll ultimately be up to the user if all those small features are worth it

I was also under the impression that kingsong limits the top speed after 50% battery for all their wheels (like the KS 18XL).  Like a firmware speed cap to start tilting back.  Not the battery capability. 

Yes, exactly.

If you would like to see some speed reduction at X battery I have posted them in my 16X FW 1.07 review.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:35 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

@Mike Sacristan - I saw you had hurt your KS16X a couple of months ago. Did you get a new wheel? Would you get another KS16X? I see the Nikola available here for cheaper or a 100v wheel for approx same price - the usual idea would be KS is safer and better quality vs higher speeds of gw, but that doesn't seem to be the case on the KS16X given the torque is too high for the maximum allowed speeds. Just wondering where you stand on this?

34 minutes ago, Crooznfbroozn said:

@Mike Sacristan - I saw you had hurt your KS16X a couple of months ago. Did you get a new wheel? Would you get another KS16X? I see the Nikola available here for cheaper or a 100v wheel for approx same price - the usual idea would be KS is safer and better quality vs higher speeds of gw, but that doesn't seem to be the case on the KS16X given the torque is too high for the maximum allowed speeds. Just wondering where you stand on this?

I still need to send the 16X in for repairs and I have been on the fence a bit. 8400km on it.. it has taken some hits, dented rim, bent pedal hanger, cracked shell here and there. Sunken cost and all that you know.

I got a Nikola 100v with a 2660Wh battery to solve my biggest issues which were speed and range.
Now I am missing some of the fun and zip from the 16X. I might switch wheels with Simon for a day and see if it just a fond memory. We usually want what we don't have.
Although I did pimp up my MSX a bit... but I have lent it to a friend.

I would say the Nikola Plus is a better deal than the 16X. I don't think that Kingsong is safer than Gotway in any way.
The 16X and 18XL are very nice "do it all" wheels. The Nik + does it all well enough but does the speed thing a whole lot better and a whole lot safer.

My friend Johan (75kg with gear) hit 69kmh on his Nikola Plus 1800WH yesterday. Sure he beeped at 62kmh... but man... that is safety.

My stance on 16X safety is that I always had my alarm set to 45kmh so that I knew when to cool down my movements. As any sudden accelerations at those speeds risk overpowering the wheel.

And I won't even start on the Kingsong wheel locking shenanigans. 

• Like 2

Gotcha. Really planning on pulling the trigger on an order today. For me it's all about mountainbike trail shenanigans, don't plan on group rides and just want an OK pace to "connect the dots" between fun trails. So zippy and fun are the focus... Tough choice as the 16x seems to have some unnatural "cool" draw to it whereas the GW feels more like a speed machine.. but nothing strong sticking out otherwise for the 16x for a bigger price tag..

23 hours ago, Crooznfbroozn said:

Gotcha. Really planning on pulling the trigger on an order today. For me it's all about mountainbike trail shenanigans, don't plan on group rides and just want an OK pace to "connect the dots" between fun trails. So zippy and fun are the focus... Tough choice as the 16x seems to have some unnatural "cool" draw to it whereas the GW feels more like a speed machine.. but nothing strong sticking out otherwise for the 16x for a bigger price tag..

So last night I went for a cruise with my friends. Johan brought his 16X first batch with the CX tyre.
I also know pretty well how the newer batch 16X rides.
Johan also had his Nikola 1800Wh with him.

I am used to riding my heavy 29.5 Nik with three battery packs.
I tried Johan's Nik+ with the 1800Wh and it definitely felt very light in comparison to mine.
I tried back to back vs the 16X and the 16X felt lighter and more nimble and playful.

One is faster than the other. One is zippier than the other.
One is safe at high speed. One is not.

Nikola pedals can yield at low speed.
16X pedals can yield at high speed.

Different windings in the motor... one has better response at low speed and the other at high speed.

They are the same but different. Kingsong inflates prices outside of China and locks wheels.
Gotway you can buy from anywhere for as cheap as you like and never get locked.

16X and Nikola Plus both cost the same from China.

• Like 2

Hello,

I owned both EUCs. The KS16X & the Tesla V2 1480Wh. Here is what I got out of my testings. I will put aside the fact that the v1.05 firmware I had was crap and that I experienced a cut off for no reason on the 16X.

The KS16X has more range (I would say maybe 15-20% more) because the Tesla 1480Wh has a high safety margin because the motherboard safety is not well calibrated to the 21700 cells voltage and because the KS16X has more battery and has better efficiency when cruising at higher speeds.

Custom batteries have no issues so far, I would not worry about it. Someone had a MSX 2200Wh with the same custom battery packs and done 10800km with batteries in perfect conditions after inspection.
The motor of the KS16X is a little more quiet than the one on the Tesla.
Regarding equipement, the Tesla mostly lacks a rear light, and the front light of the 16X is much better than the one on the Tesla. The cut off switch is better on the Tesla because it's physical and it never fails, on the 16X I had a few times where the motor was still spinning after lifting it up. The trolley handle on the 16X is much taller than the Teslas, but I prefer having a seperate handle for lifting and trolleying.
Most people say the sound quality of the Kingsong are better than the Tesla. Well the Kingsong has more bass for sure and it's evenly distributed, but the pure sound quality is better on the Tesla for me, less distorsion.
16X has 2 charge ports vs 1 on the Tesla, still good to have.

Regarding top speed, I know Kingsong KS16X is rated for 50kph but I've put a bike speedmeter on both EUCs with precise measures. KS16X at full battery reaches 48kph real speed and tilts you back. Tesla reaches 47kph & beeps, basically their speed is the same. The Tesla however decreases top speed less than the 16X when battery voltage drops from from what I experienced (maybe newer firmwares don't do that).I feel much more comfortable cruising at high speeds on the Tesla than on the KS16X just because I'm used to that final alarm, more than having a tilt back which could in some situations put me off balance. (I have tested the KS16X tilt back at low speeds)
Acceleration is easier on the Tesla, the KS16X feels less reactive. However I would say they both accelerate about the same just that the 16X needs more leaning into it.
The KS16X is more stable but a less nimble at any speeds, but I did feel safer carving at high speeds on the 16X compared to the Tesla. The 16x3 tire makes it much more capable of absorbing road imperfections and more comfy and grippier while turning. 16X is more like a "17" while the Tesla is a true "16".

The 16X also feels heavier while riding & turning because of its weight distribution and pure weight (24.5kg vs 21kg). However The KS16X has higher pedal clearance making it safer in sharp turns. I also like the fact that there is no pedal dip on the 16x. The Tesla is smoother and more linear in acceleration though.

For city use, I would take the Tesla any day. For long trips and offroad I would probably prefer the 16X. Overall I still prefer the Tesla even if it's not as well "polished", more agile, lighter, easy to accelerate and break. I'm not a heavy rider so maybe if I was heavier I would prefer the 16X but for my size the Tesla is perfect.

Edited by Pingouin
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Hello,

I owned both EUCs. The KS16X & the Tesla V2 1480Wh. Here is what I got out of my testings. I will put aside the fact that the v1.05 firmware I had was crap and that I experienced a cut off for no reason on the 16X.

The KS16X has more range (I would say maybe 15-20% more) because the Tesla 1480Wh has a high safety margin because the motherboard safety is not well calibrated to the 21700 cells voltage and because the KS16X has more battery and has better efficiency when cruising at higher speeds.

Custom batteries have no issues so far, I would not worry about it. Someone had a MSX 2200Wh with the same custom battery packs and done 10800km with batteries in perfect conditions after inspection.
The motor of the KS16X is a little more quiet than the one on the Tesla.
Regarding equipement, the Tesla mostly lacks a rear light, and the front light of the 16X is much better than the one on the Tesla. The cut off switch is better on the Tesla because it's physical and it never fails, on the 16X I had a few times where the motor was still spinning after lifting it up. The trolley handle on the 16X is much taller than the Teslas, but I prefer having a seperate handle for lifting and trolleying.
Most people say the sound quality of the Kingsong are better than the Tesla. Well the Kingsong has more bass for sure and it's evenly distributed, but the pure sound quality is better on the Tesla for me, less distorsion.
16X has 2 charge ports vs 1 on the Tesla, still good to have.

Regarding top speed, I know Kingsong KS16X is rated for 50kph but I've put a bike speedmeter on both EUCs with precise measures. KS16X at full battery reaches 48kph real speed and tilts you back. Tesla reaches 47kph & beeps, basically their speed is the same. The Tesla however decreases top speed less than the 16X when battery voltage drops from from what I experienced (maybe newer firmwares don't do that).I feel much more comfortable cruising at high speeds on the Tesla than on the KS16X just because I'm used to that final alarm, more than having a tilt back which could in some situations put me off balance. (I have tested the KS16X tilt back at low speeds)
Acceleration is easier on the Tesla, the KS16X feels less reactive. However I would say they both accelerate about the same just that the 16X needs more leaning into it.
The KS16X is more stable but a less nimble at any speeds, but I did feel safer carving at high speeds on the 16X compared to the Tesla. The 16x3 tire makes it much more capable of absorbing road imperfections and more comfy and grippier while turning. 16X is more like a "17" while the Tesla is a true "16".

The 16X also feels heavier while riding & turning because of its weight distribution and pure weight (24.5kg vs 21kg). However The KS16X has higher pedal clearance making it safer in sharp turns. I also like the fact that there is no pedal dip on the 16x. The Tesla is smoother and more linear in acceleration though.

For city use, I would take the Tesla any day. For long trips and offroad I would probably prefer the 16X. Overall I still prefer the Tesla even if it's not as well "polished", more agile, lighter, easy to accelerate and break. I'm not a heavy rider so maybe if I was heavier I would prefer the 16X but for my size the Tesla is perfect.

Spot on! Very nicely written! :thumbup: