Omaha, Nebraska and surrounding cities

edwin_rm

So, I ran into another EUC rider while at a campground (of all places!) in the Omaha, Nebraska region.

Let's get some people together and form a group of riders to explore the areas (I'll be in the region for quite a while).

Hit me up!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I live in Omaha. I just learned about EUCs last week and I'm now planning on getting one next spring (possibly sooner).

I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me if you can find the time.

• Like 2

I've been doing a lot of reading up on EUCs and I'm planning on getting an Inmotion V11 next spring (or maybe on Cyber Monday if there's a good deal on one). Do you think that would be a good unicycle to start out on?

Also, I've been reading that the Omaha City Council has been trying to ban e-bikes and similar vehicles from the city bike paths. Have you encountered any issues with this?

• Like 2

In my opinion, I think the weight and suspension might make the V11 a little more difficult compared to something like the V8F. Regardless, I think learning on a larger wheel like the V11 is completely doable if you're truly interested in starting on a top-end wheel. Just keep in mind that cosmetic damage is inevitable for your first wheel (that's its popular to buy a cheap wheel while you're learning).

As for Omaha, I have not ran into any trouble with enforcement nor am I too worried about it. EUC's are pretty much in the gray area of the law at this point. If we applied e-bike laws to EUC's, I technically would be banned from riding on the sidewalk. With that in mind, I ride my wheel on the sidewalk 80% of the time and I've never had any problems.

Edited by Brennan Portz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I looked on here earlier this year, but didn't make contact with anyone else from Omaha. Nice to know there are a couple others.  I did see someone a few weeks ago around 40th & Dodge but going a different direction and couldn't stop.

I sold my v5f, got a v10 and love it, but can't help thinking a v11 would be so much nicer for casual riders like me who just want comfort.  Al-b, if you get the v11 I hope it's works as a learning EUC. I know they are a bit big and heavy for learning, but seems like it could be done.

I would always love to try out the v11 on some soft ground or something. You are welcome to try out the v10 on some grass.  So may need to wait until Spring or the thaw this weekend.  Let me know guys if you want to get in touch!

Oh and I have had one encounter with police, on foot.  They thought it was neat, so I stopped and talked about it and stuff.  They thought it looked hard to ride, fun, etc. - all the typical comments/questions.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, Brennan Portz said:

I'm also in Omaha! I usually ride downtown. I actually haven't seen another EUC rider here before. 

4 hours ago, PatrickD said:

Let me know guys if you want to get in touch!

On 11/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, AL-B said:

...maybe on Cyber Monday if there's a good deal on one).

I'm down to go for a group ride around downtown or even in trails outside the city.

From what I've been reading, getting a V11 as a first wheel could lead to "bad riding habits." Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also, the V11 does seem rather fragile. I saw the video where someone in NYC wiped out on one and pretty much destroyed it. 

I guess I'm a little torn. I get the idea about buying a cheaper wheel to learn on (maybe a V8F would work for me) but I don't like the idea of spending nearly $1000 on a learner wheel only to outgrow it in 2-3 months and then dropping another 2 grand on the one I really want. 

Would you consider learning to ride an EUC on an Inmotion V11 to be akin to learning to ride a motorcycle on a Harley-Davidson Electra Glide?

Edited by AL-B
  • Like 1

Bad riding habits as in not riding with bent knees and going faster than you probably should, because the suspension just makes everything easy. I noticed this on myself as well, even if I had many many wheels before.

About the fragility, the V11 has many layers of plastic and a metal base instead of just one plastic layer like in most wheels. Obviously you can destroy any wheel, if you do it just right.

11 hours ago, AL-B said:

the V11 does seem rather fragile. I saw the video where someone in NYC wiped out on one and pretty much destroyed it. 

If you're thinking of the one I'm thinking of (though maybe you're not), I believe there was some anomaly, sharp edge or slight protrusion from the brick road, that he was unable to locate when he went back to inspect.  The object seemed to actually rip through the tire if I recall, which is tough since the tires are designed to be durable, and that is what caused the "crash", and then the wheel continued on and hit a parked truck bumper or something at a high impact velocity.  That's if my memory is correct and we're talking about the same one...  

If you had an open, relatively soft indoor space we could discuss having you learn on my V10.  I learned on something smaller, but it's probably easier than the V11.  Feel free to send me a message if you're interested.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, edwin_rm said:

I'm down to go for a group ride around downtown or even in trails outside the city.

Hey everyone. I have a Kingsong 16X. I I usually ride out west and around Elkhorn but I've been looking for other EUC riders. Let me know b/c I'd be down to ride ! Even in this chilly winter. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BusterS said:

Hey everyone. I have a Kingsong 16X. I I usually ride out west and around Elkhorn but I've been looking for other EUC riders. Let me know b/c I'd be down to ride ! Even in this chilly winter. 

Brrrr!  Aside from me being too much of a baby to handle riding below freezing, I don't know how my battery would handle the cold. Maybe more just that I am worried about long term battery preservation.  Also, not sure how the streets and sidewalks are out West, but here in midtown the last snow to melt is often those snow ridges that become ice ridges, formed from the snow plows at the end of the sidewalks.  So I end up getting off and on the EUC every block unless I can take the streets.  

Done with my excuses now.  Haha.  Definitely when it gets warmer and there is some melting, or if you know of a large clear area to ride once it gets closer to or, more preferably, above 32.  I use the V10F 960wh now, so enough range to have some fun!  I don't mind taking it slowly and enjoying the scenery too.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, PatrickD said:

Brrrr!  Aside from me being too much of a baby to handle riding below freezing, I don't know how my battery would handle the cold. Maybe more just that I am worried about long term battery preservation.  Also, not sure how the streets and sidewalks are out West, but here in midtown the last snow to melt is often those snow ridges that become ice ridges, formed from the snow plows at the end of the sidewalks.  So I end up getting off and on the EUC every block unless I can take the streets.  

Done with my excuses now.  Haha.  Definitely when it gets warmer and there is some melting, or if you know of a large clear area to ride once it gets closer to or, more preferably, above 32.  I use the V10F 960wh now, so enough range to have some fun!  I don't mind taking it slowly and enjoying the scenery too.  

I tried to send you a message but the forum said I could send '0 messages per day'. I thought today might be a good day? It's 55, sunny until 6. I know this is super last minute though. I'm also going to ask my onewheel group what their up to. 

• Like 3

After lurking here and in the electric unicycle subreddit for the past 6 months, I finally got around to ordering a V11 from ewheels yesterday. It sounds as if it should take around a month to get here. I can't wait. 

In the meantime, can anyone recommend some stores in the Omaha area where I could get some good protective gear (knee/elbow pads, wrist guards, etc.)?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, AL-B said:

Just got emails from ewheels and FedEx. My V11 is expected to arrive on April 1st. I'm looking forward to beginning the learning process.

Thata great to hear. I'm teaching my partner to ride her 16x. I wonder what it's going to be like learning on a suspension wheel. Good luck, let us know. 

• Like 1