Sherman didn’t charge (?) (no con?)

null

Unexplained behavior:

I asked my wife to plug the charge cable to the Sherman this morning, believing I would find it fully charged.

It was blinking « no con » and hadn’t charged at all. The plug was properly set in.

When I pulled it out and put it back it went to charging mode as usual.

Being the computer fix guy I’m regularly impressed by what people manage to get wrong, but WTF what can you do wrong when plugging in a cable?

No long trip for me today 😓

edit: I guess it might be a safety feature that got triggered by too much fiddling. While it is good that the charging has some level of safety tripping, it is annoying that GX plugs allows for so much fiddling and wrong way connection (the block is late and weak). I’m slightly annoyed and worried by the hypothetical dangers. Do it yourself if you want it done right or something 😞

Edited by null
  • Like 1

It happened again when I connected it (no fiddling) went straight to blink the display on off with LCD back light, while displaying « no con ». Charger stayed green.

After disconnecting and reconnecting it started charging properly. Should I worry?

Edited by null
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/14/2020 at 3:59 PM, null said:

It happened again when I connected it (no fiddling) went straight to blink the display on off with LCD back light, while displaying « no con ». Charger stayed green.

After disconnecting and reconnecting it started charging properly. Should I worry?

Could you add the <no con> in your title? Mine has done this to me once or twice. Last couple times, there was no fiddling, just the e-wheels charger. Light showed green, wouldnt take charge, and <no con> on the screen. I unplug it and fiddled with unplugging the charger too. It went away and charged fine. This happened to me today at 80% battery. I went to plug in the ewheels and <no conn>. I cycled power and disconnected the charger a few times and no luck. I then plugged in the Veteran charger and same thing. THEN I went back to ewheels charger and it fully charged.

Now I don't know if this is a 'safety' thing to worry about. But anytime I plug a wheel in and it doesnt charge, of course its a problem. It would be nice to know if this is impending doom or just an overly sensitive bms? I too don't like to dismiss ANY odd behavior, without some sort of explaination. Surely the engineers know what these codes mean. Why is it so damn tought to just publish a pdf of ALL the codes the screen gives? It aint like a secret and it aint like theres a service center they need protect. Release the info, or at least somebody tell us wtf this is!

• Like 1

• null changed the title to Sherman didn’t charge (?) (no con?)
  • 5 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, Steven Algoet said:

Same happend here... did it get solved by unplugging it?
I always use a fast charger, never had that notification. But now my bother is testing out my wheel with de standard charger and had this error.

I got the same error message as well trying to charge with the standard charger! Freaked me out and immediately unplugged the charger. based on the previous posts there's probably something going on with the original charger. It was always a bit off to me, the fan sounded a bit noisy and it seems like there's a cycle to it when it charges. Probably gonna upgrade to the fast charger instead. Any one else have any insight?

• 1 month later...

Just happened to me also. I reconnected charger in other port and now is ok. It was raining today but not much. Maybe connector was little wet ( i hope that is reason beacose i can't see any other). Now is charging. I will post result in morning. I hope all will be ok.

• 2 months later...

Just got my Sherman Max the other day and this happened to me the 2nd time I charged it. Powering off and back on solved it, but would be good to know whether Leaperkim has acknowledged this and is working on a solution. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all,

has anyone found the cause of this NO CONN issue? I have a Sherman Max and have 2200KM on it now since May and for the last 2 weeks, it does this. Yesterday, it did and i tried disconnecting, reconnecting about 10 times and powered on/off several times and then it started charging.

Any ideas?

p.s.: I have never opened it up yet since I got it, so that couldn't be the reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitkat0981 said:

hi all,

has anyone found the cause of this NO CONN issue? I have a Sherman Max and have 2200KM on it now since May and for the last 2 weeks, it does this. Yesterday, it did and i tried disconnecting, reconnecting about 10 times and powered on/off several times and then it started charging.

Any ideas?

p.s.: I have never opened it up yet since I got it, so that couldn't be the reason.

I had the issue early on, for the first few hundred KM, but now have 5,000KM and it hasn't happened since I got it in April. I wonder whether it has anything to do with pack balancing. I'd be curious if you can charge and leave it on green for 2-3 hours, whether it happens again afterward?

when I take my Shermax to work in the morning (as I commute with it), i put it on the charger before going to bed the night before, so it charges all night and has the chance to balance as well. So when i go to it in the morning, sometimes its dark (shut down meaning pack charged&balanced) but sometimes the screen is on, looks like its fully charged as the chargers LED is green solid and doesnt cycle from green to red as in balancing the packs. 

So not sure why sometimes its dark and sometimes it's not 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first ever NoConn a couple of days back. I very much doubt if the cause was the same as you guys, but thought I'd post it anyway.

I ALWAYS plug my charger into the wall first, then the wheel (old MSX habits die hard). However, I was in a pub the other day with a couple of other Sherman riders and we hastily tried to get some charge in our wheels (we were doing a 100 miler) but mainly due to a lot of kerfuffle at the time with riders in each others way, extension leads and virtually zero room to move around things got a little messy.

I noticed at the time that when I plugged the charge lead into the wheel my retrofit LED's came on (as per usual as they are hard wired to the board) but I don't think the rear light did. I thought this was odd but didn't think anything more of it as my brain thought everything was OK as the wheel must have powered up due to my LED's going. The wheel was on it's nose bumpers so I didn't see (or look at) the top display panel.

All good I thought. We had a couple of pints and some grub. About an hour and a half later I unplugged the charger from the wheel (which I always do first after charging), brought the nose up and saw 'No Con' on the display. AAARGGH!! I had to turn the wheel on and off about 4 or 5 times before the No Con went away. At this point I saw the battery level was exactly the same as before I had 'charged'.

After some very worrying and confused thoughts, I realised what I had done. I had plugged the 3 pin of my charger into the extension (which 2 of us were using), then plugged in the wheel, but forgot to plug the extension into the wall... 

Cue my buddies ripping the pi$$ out of me, until one realised that they also hadn't got any charge cos I hadn't plugged the extension in... oops!

It was all fine, we carried on riding to another stop and did a charge but we lost an hour and a half during the ride day for nothing really. The beer was good though I 'spose :lol:

In relation to the problems others have seen, it could be issues with the pins in the GX socket (male and/or female) being dirty/bent/wet or plain worn out, or a charger on it's way out. For sure, the wheel is certainly 'looking' for any issues which in a way is good I guess. I have never used the stock charger (mine is a 6A dual board YZ Power) but I am aware that some have had problems. One guy on this very forum blew two boards from dodgy stock chargers I believe.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

One guy on this very forum blew two boards from dodgy stock chargers I believe.

Yes Sir, you are correct. That was my truly awful Sherman tale to tell, but it has been All Good since getting the THIRD board under warranty and more importantly a genuine Factory Veteran YZ 450 charger with 220uf capacitors and NOT the sometimes fitted 150uf that blew 2 boards for me!

I now have 2 genuine Factory Veteran YZ 450 chargers with 220uf capacitors, which for me have Always worked reliably on New Zealand's 240volt mains power supply!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1