KS18XL - Weird clunking sound occasionally

TedTheAtheist

It happens sometimes when I ride. I hear this "clunk clunk clunk" sound while riding. It's as if there's something attached to the wheel that's hitting the side of the covering, but I've looked a bit and there is nothing. It will stop after a little bit more riding, but it might come back. Some days I'll go without that sound at all. It will go slower if I ride slower, faster if I ride fast.. and it seems the faster I ride, the less sound it'll make.. but then alas, it can just go away for awhile.

I haven't actually taken apart the wheel fully - just taken off the side covers to look around (as if that does anything) and also looked in with the flashlight as best as I can around where anything could touch. I see nothing. I realize maybe taking the wheel completely off might help, but I've never done that... but I guess I'll have to?

Any ideas? I know this is damn vague.

• Like 1

run a towel thru the fender. If that doesnt solve it, youll have to open it. There isnt much to it. Just be careful. the screws are made of chinesium and the plastic is only mediocre in durablity. Finesse and patience is key.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Assuming your shell to motor/wheel clearance is clear.....and that the pedal columns to shell mount area is not cracked (allowing shell to tire clearance to flex)...

You might want to check that the large axle nuts , pressing the shims into position (at least on Monster and other Gotways) , are tight.

Tightening the nut on the side where the motor wiring passes through the wheel will likely need a special 'channeled deep socket' tool which you might be able to create. Monster uses 24 mm axle nuts.

IMG-20200912-153633883.jpg

Fiberglass with epoxy repair

Edited by Bob Eisenman

7 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Assuming your shell to motor/wheel clearance is clear.....and that the pedal columns to shell mount area is not cracked (allowing shell to tire clearance to flex)...

You might want to check that the large axle nuts , pressing the shims into position (at least on Monster and other Gotways) , are tight.

Tightening the nut on the side where the motor wiring passes through the wheel will likely need a special 'channeled deep socket' tool which you might be able to create. Monster uses 24 mm axle nuts.

IMG-20200912-153633883.jpg

Fiberglass with epoxy repair

I have that socket tool! Ok I'll try that next. Thank you bro.