Coming from Onewheel to EUC

Hi, I am looking into buying a EUC. I have my some clue of my wants for a EUC, but would like to hear some opinions to make a sound decision.

I currently ride a Onewheel for recreation. I can ride pavement around my neighborhood alright, but not everything else terrain-wise. The Kingsong S18 and the InMotion V11 caught my eye, with the suspension on S18 win my heart since I can go anywhere with it and appear to be more nimble of the two with a bit of durability tradeoff in the event of a wipeout. I do realize pretty much all the midrange EUC has at least double the range and way more speed than I can handle compared to the Onewheel.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

IMHO, it's still a bit early for these suspension wheels, as this is super early adopter phase, but yes, if off-road bumps at the sacrifice of everything else (speed, range, etc) is your fancy, then yes these would be the way to go (with the caveat that the Gotway Ex, Gotway's answer to these suspension wheels without compromise in speed/range, is lurking in the background rumored to soon release).

By all accounts from the suspension early adopters here in NYC, V11-type suspension lends itself more to smoothing out rough city roads, whereas S18-type suspension is the real off-road wheel for bigger jumps and bump downs.

That said, unless you live in the off-road on your PEV, your preferences on speed, range will probably change once you live and breathe with EUC for a year, as many do.

Out of curiosity, did @Jimmy Chang and/or @SlyDogStroh's recent jump to EUC's influence your decision-making here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Out of curiosity, did @Jimmy Chang and/or @SlyDogStroh's recent jump to EUC's influence your decision-making here?

I only watched @Jimmy Chang's video between the two, but he didn't influence my decision making here

Edited by madbikes
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

IMHO, it's still a bit early for these suspension wheels, as this is super early adopter phase, but yes, if off-road bumps at the sacrifice of everything else (speed, range, etc) is your fancy, then yes these would be the way to go (with the caveat that the Gotway Ex, Gotway's answer to these suspension wheels without compromise in speed/range, is lurking in the background rumored to soon release).

By all accounts from the suspension early adopters here in NYC, V11-type suspension lends itself more to smoothing out rough city roads, whereas S18-type suspension is the real off-road wheel for bigger jumps and bump downs.

Things are looking very promising for batch 2/3 and beyond of the V11, whereas the S18 is still a complete mess (many requiring a full teardown and rebuild of the suspension out of the box before even being usable) and harder to predict how long before King Song gets it straightened out (if ever).

The Gotway EX is reported at 38 kg/84 lbs(!) (that's even heavier than the Veteran and Monster!) and in no way a reasonable recommendation to a new rider. Even worse the suspension only has 5cm/2in of travel (which means less than 1in of travel from default position if calibrated properly). Not to mention it isn't released yet and even when it does it will see the same first couple batch issues as every other wheel, which means realistically not a good recommendation (for anyone) until sometime into the new year at the earliest.

At this stage the V11 is the pretty clear recommendation out of those three particularly for a new rider.

Edited by AtlasP

3 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Things are looking very promising for batch 2/3 and beyond of the V11, whereas the S18 is still a complete mess (many requiring a full teardown and rebuild of the suspension out of the box before even being usable) and harder to predict how long before King Song gets it straightened out (if ever).

The Gotway EX is reported at 38 kg/84 lbs(!) (that's even heavier than the Veteran and Monster!) and in no way a reasonable recommendation to a new rider. Even worse the suspension only has 5cm/2in of travel (which means less than 1in of travel from default position if calibrated properly). Not to mention it isn't released yet and even when it does it will see the same first couple batch issues as every other wheel, which means realistically not a good recommendation (for anyone) until sometime into the new year at the earliest.

At this stage the V11 is the pretty clear recommendation out of those three particularly for a new rider.

I would second this and I originally ordered the S18, so not a fanboy response. Its clear to me that the issues of the S18 far outweigh those of the V11 and I would definitely pick one up as a first wheel. If not this, I'd go cheaper for the first one and pick up the KS-16s, my personal favorite wheel. Argument could be made for other budget wheels but this rides better to me than any Gotway I've ridden. Just brute power and lack of refinement was apparent to me. Not bashing Gotway. They have a purpose and that is speed. In fact I think the Mten 3 is an excellent choice for a first wheel as well. 

FOr a first wheel, buy something reliable, proven and solid. I would NOT invest in ANY of these new offerings for my first or only wheel. As a new rider, you will want to ride, not repair. Its like making sure you own a car you can trust, THEN buying a stupid dune buggy that needs repaired each week. The dune buggy is fun, but it won't get you to the store reliably. I am still in love with my non suspension wheels. The mten is a total winner and I'll buy another if I EVER get the feeling my older one is failing. Im not much a fan of locksong, but i cant deny that my 18L is comfy, reliable and I dont have to spend a moment thinking about how it will ride.  Euc riders never own just ONE wheel. You may as well spend HALF the money to get a non suspension wheel and learn the glide life. Buy a REAL wheel, as a learner. My 18 was a learner and after 1,000 miles, I havent outgorwn it, but grown into the comfort of it.  It didnt take me long to realize that no single wheel does it all best. I also learned quickly that there's no point in compromise as youll buy more than one in the end.

• Like 2