2020 Southern California EUC Tour

Marty Backe

• 2 weeks later...

Registration is still open. There are 54 riders attending so far. It's going to be awesome.

Here's a teaser from Day 1 of last year's Tour

• Like 3

On 9/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, Marty Backe said:

Registration is now open for the 2020 Tour:  October 17th thru 23rd with a bonus day on the 24th.

After less than two days we already have 19 people registered. It's looking like another great Tour in the making. And this year's participants get to buy one or more $20 raffle tickets for the chance of winning a brand new, in the box, Sherman (thanks to EWheels for sponsoring the raffle). All proceeds will go to PEVRA, @who_the's organization for promoting EUC's.

If you live within a days drive of Southern California, consider attending one or more days of the Tour. I guarantee it'll be a memorable experience.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+32%3A10&version=ESV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Registration is still open. There are 54 riders attending so far. It's going to be awesome.

Here's a teaser from Day 1 of last year's Tour

:confused1:

:shock2:

:w00t2:

Holy crap! I have no idea how I missed the initial post, but you can bet I'll be there this year too!!!

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Arbolest said:

:confused1:

:shock2:

:w00t2:

Holy crap! I have no idea how I missed the initial post, but you can bet I'll be there this year too!!!

Glad you'll make it Wesley. Be sure to register :)

• Like 1

Looks so fun, thanks for organizing Marty!

Side question- how do you prefer to handle the task of keeping a large EUC groupride together? Options I've seen are:

1. By headcount (difficult with >10ppl)
  2. Designated tail rider
  3. Online group chat (stragglers msg the group; not good for mountains I expect...)
  4. Youre-on-your-own (breakdowns and stragglers fend for themselves; buddy system encouraged)

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Looks so fun, thanks for organizing Marty!

Side question- how do you prefer to handle the task of keeping a large EUC groupride together? Options I've seen are:

1. By headcount (difficult with >10ppl)
  2. Designated tail rider
  3. Online group chat (stragglers msg the group; not good for mountains I expect...)
  4. Youre-on-your-own (breakdowns and stragglers fend for themselves; buddy system encouraged)

Cheers

For the trail rides it won't really be possible to get lost. For the suburban rides, I will be posting my live position continuously (via the "share my position" feature of the Telegram app).

Finally, the route for each day will be provided to everyone. So if stragglers happen to fall out of sight, they should be able to find us. Having upwards of 60-riders will make it impossible for us to stop and wait for people

For ~20 people it's never been an issue. I've never done 60 so this will be a new experience :)

• Like 3

Regarding group ride coordination particularly at larger sizes:

I really think its overdue for motorcycle comm systems (helmet-mounted bluetooth headsets) to become standard gear in the EUC group riding communities due to the safety & logistical benefits, particularly in urban environments. For public group rides you don't even need everyone to have one (obviously a logistical impossibility), just a core group/a couple people who help with group coordination. So for example if the leader in front has one and someone in the back has one, the person in back can give updates to the leader (i.e. "we all made it through the light, full speed ahead" or "slow down, we had a few people get held up by the light/traffic/pedestrians/dog/whatever" or "pull over, someone had a crash/flat/issue/whatever"). Plus it's just nice to be able to chat while riding without having to slow down/get close together/yell or stopping group rides too frequently for everyone to socialize. And the safety benefits persist even down to just riding with one or two other people ("let's turn right up here" or "watch out for that pothole/kid/dog/guy pulling out on your right/etc" or "passing on your left", etc).

I know a lot of people used to balk at the prices, but they've come down a lot in the past couple years with new budget lines that are much more affordable than the units of old. My g/f and I got a dual-pack of Cardo Freecom 4+'s (which include excellent JBL speakers) for like $280/pair on sale the other year which is only $140/unit (so you don't have to spend $200-400+ per unit like a few years ago). (Note that the biggest difference between the budget lines and more expensive ones is the number of concurrent users. Cheaper units are often limited to 4 users which is still enough people to coordinate all but the absolute largest of group rides, whereas the more expensive units can connect up to 15 riders--which I could see being super cool/worth it with a larger dedicated group of friends who ride together a lot.)

Ever since getting ours I can't imagine riding without them even just with the two of us. To me now riding with someone else without comms is in the same category as someone riding without a helmet/appropriate gear, particularly in urban environments--it just feels irresponsibly and unnecessarily more dangerous/risky.

(Some review links:

Cheaper options: 

More expensive options: 

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:24 PM, AtlasP said:

Regarding group ride coordination particularly at larger sizes:

I really think its overdue for motorcycle comm systems (helmet-mounted bluetooth headsets) to become standard gear in the EUC group riding communities due to the safety & logistical benefits, particularly in urban environments. For public group rides you don't even need everyone to have one (obviously a logistical impossibility), just a core group/a couple people who help with group coordination. So for example if the leader in front has one and someone in the back has one, the person in back can give updates to the leader (i.e. "we all made it through the light, full speed ahead" or "slow down, we had a few people get held up by the light/traffic/pedestrians/dog/whatever" or "pull over, someone had a crash/flat/issue/whatever"). Plus it's just nice to be able to chat while riding without having to slow down/get close together/yell or stopping group rides too frequently for everyone to socialize. And the safety benefits persist even down to just riding with one or two other people ("let's turn right up here" or "watch out for that pothole/kid/dog/guy pulling out on your right/etc" or "passing on your left", etc).

I know a lot of people used to balk at the prices, but they've come down a lot in the past couple years with new budget lines that are much more affordable than the units of old. My g/f and I got a dual-pack of Cardo Freecom 4+'s (which include excellent JBL speakers) for like $280/pair on sale the other year which is only $140/unit (so you don't have to spend $200-400+ per unit like a few years ago). (Note that the biggest difference between the budget lines and more expensive ones is the number of concurrent users. Cheaper units are often limited to 4 users which is still enough people to coordinate all but the absolute largest of group rides, whereas the more expensive units can connect up to 15 riders--which I could see being super cool/worth it with a larger dedicated group of friends who ride together a lot.)

Ever since getting ours I can't imagine riding without them even just with the two of us. To me now riding with someone else without comms is in the same category as someone riding without a helmet/appropriate gear, particularly in urban environments--it just feels irresponsibly and unnecessarily more dangerous/risky.

(Some review links:

Cheaper options: 

More expensive options: 

Husband & Wife/girl friend - fantastic. A bunch of EUC riders - no thank you :)

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, Marty Backe said:

Husband & Wife/girl friend - fantastic. A bunch of EUC riders - no thank you :)

*chuckles* If you can't find even just 1 or 2 other people out of the dozens you ride with that you couldn't stand to have on a shared comm channel to make your life easier logistics-wise, then our community has a bigger problem than arguing about which comm system to use. ;-)

You guys do realize they're not necessarily always-on. Once paired, you can have a single button to suspend the channel or revive it. So it's possible to leave it off to not hear people's random chatter, but then just hit one button to reconnect and provide information or ask a logistics question, then again to turn it back off again.

My comm system (really a poor name for it, at this point it's more just a helmet-mounted bluetooth headset for a phone; with the comms as a secondary feature) is arguably more useful to me when riding by myself as with other people. I can get GPS directions, phone notifications incl. txt messages read to me, ask Siri/Alexa questions, even answer quick phone calls, all without ever having to take out/fiddle with a hand-held device.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AtlasP said:

*chuckles* If you can't find even just 1 or 2 other people out of the dozens you ride with that you couldn't stand to have on a shared comm channel, then our community has a bigger problem than arguing about which comm system to use. ;-)

You guys do realize they're not necessarily always-on. Once paired, you can have a single button to suspend the channel or revive it. So it's possible to leave it off to not hear people's random chatter, but then just hit one button to reconnect and provide information or ask a logistics question, then again to turn it back off again.

My comm system (really a poor name for it, at this point it's more just a helmet-mounted bluetooth headset for a phone; with the comms as a secondary feature) is arguably more useful to me when riding by myself as with other people. I can get GPS directions, phone notifications incl. txt messages read to me, ask Siri/Alexa questions, even answer quick phone calls, all without ever having to take out/fiddle with a hand-held device.

I guess it just doesn't interest me, based on the rides we do together. We're all doing our own thing, listening our own music (or thoughts), etc. I'm sure other people would love this stuff.

Also, I ride with the same people so infrequently (we have a lot of varied people riding in Southern California) I can't imagine finding people willing to spend the $$$ so we can communicate every 10th ride.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:52 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Bump to the bumpity bump bump bump you bump ass motherf**erz....

*did i make you at least cringe, marty? B)

This is very funny, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about :confused1: :)

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is very funny, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about :confused1: :)

Bumping your thread to bring it to the first page. Probably against forum rules, but.... (enter excuse here). I figured me randomly name-calling with jibberish would at least grant me an odd look or two...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Bumping your thread to bring it to the first page. Probably against forum rules, but.... (enter excuse here). I figured me randomly name-calling with jibberish would at least grant me an odd look or two...

:laughbounce2:

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Tour starts in 3-days. We have 87-riders registered for the 8-day event. It's going to be spectacular.

Details are here if you want to join us. It's not too late :)

https://www.electricunicycleworld.com/p/tour-mcembedsignupbackgroundfff.html

Damn looks like a lot of fun. Have a great and safe time Marty and hopefully I might be able to join sometime next year!

• Like 1

I have to say, this sounds utterly epic. Even more impressive is the way you have done the online registration showing who is riding on what day, on what wheel. Plus the maps and detailed explanation of each day. Having not only a raffle Sherman and EV charging plug, but also putting your very own 18XL up as well (a real nice gesture) just makes the whole thing really slick and professional. Some real thought, time and logistical planning gone on here, very impressed indeed Marty :thumbup::clap3:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I have to say, this sounds utterly epic. Even more impressive is the way you have done the online registration showing who is riding on what day, on what wheel. Plus the maps and detailed explanation of each day. Having not only a raffle Sherman and EV charging plug, but also putting your very own 18XL up as well (a real nice gesture) just makes the whole thing really slick and professional. Some real thought, time and logistical planning gone on here, very impressed indeed Marty :thumbup::clap3:

Thanks :). It's been a long time planning and a bit hectic near the end because of the various forest fires which have been happening here. But all is well now, and hopefully it'll be just as successful as last year.

• Like 1