Sherman Waterproofing thread

MrRobot

Starting this to see what others have done regarding waterproofing. What are the important spots to get if you're siliconing? 

List the mods away! 

BTW does the updated first batch ehweels lcd still have issues with water or was it updated? 

Edited by MrRobot

1 hour ago, Huxley said:

I'm surprised no one has said about using sealant under the button panel, or at least put some helicopter tape on top.

I was going to do a thin layer of clear silicone over the lcd panel and buttons. Is there a better way to do this? 

The issue is mainly the very crappy double sided sticker that holds the way too thin plastic cover.

if we could get hand on some quality waterproof double sided sticker (that isn’t several mm thick) wee should be fairly good.

I wonder what the official fix is. The cover could definitely be thicker in order to have some structure of its own.

Edited by null

On 9/9/2020 at 2:07 PM, MrRobot said:

I was going to do a thin layer of clear silicone over the lcd panel and buttons. Is there a better way to do this? 

I was going to take the the LCD panel off and then put a thin layer of silicone under it and then seal it back down. I wouldn't smear silicone over the top of it. I haven't received mine yet, but that was what I was envisioning doing once it arrives. I ordered mine on July 11th, so I'm eWheel's 2nd batch.

• 4 weeks later...

The manufacturers really do need to get their fingers out with regards to waterproofing. I maybe don't expect it on a starter wheel like a V5F, but I do on anything else, and especially on a £2800 wheel.

Ironically, the V5 is the only wheel that I would trust in the wet and it never gave me a single problem. Even the Z10 suffered from water in the power button once.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 12:36 AM, Huxley said:

That's why I suggested helicopter tape, it's used by bikers to protect their frames from any dings.

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/shop-by-type/tape-type/helicopter-tape.html

For double sided, try looking at vhb tape or nano tape.

Thanks for the tip, received the helicopter tape I ordered.
Seems solid and sealing. Slightly flexible to adapt to shapes. 👍🏻

Edited by null

I used a piece of Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape. It's the perfect width to cover the whole LCD panel. It's almost impossible to make it smudge free, but the LCD light shines through fine when turned on. Actually the smudges might go away if heated. I might try a hair dryer:

672259147_CrystalClearGorillaTape3.jpg.69a3c54545b24a9d5e5dc12a628e73ca.jpg

1550376321_CrystalClearGorillaTape2.thumb.jpg.456e28a17e5530e3053b803b19ad4812.jpg

583267043_CrystalClearGorillaTape1.thumb.jpg.0cccb6ce5cfc288c341ed50798928bd0.jpg

• Like 3

What about the seams in the black plastic outside of the actual LCD panels? I have never taken my Sherman apart, are those seams thought to not let water get by them?

You can buy clear vinyl table cover, cut to fit over the entire top and down the sides (covering the charge ports), and use velcro to secure. Like a rain poncho for your Sherman. This protects the LCD screen and trolley handle from water ingress. The vinyl cover can be found at the dollar store and is thicker than ordinary clear plastic.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, Bridgeboy said:

I used a piece of Crystal Clear Gorilla Tape. It's the perfect width to cover the whole LCD panel. It's almost impossible to make it smudge free, but the LCD light shines through fine when turned on. Actually the smudges might go away if heated. I might try a hair dryer:

672259147_CrystalClearGorillaTape3.jpg.69a3c54545b24a9d5e5dc12a628e73ca.jpg

1550376321_CrystalClearGorillaTape2.thumb.jpg.456e28a17e5530e3053b803b19ad4812.jpg

583267043_CrystalClearGorillaTape1.thumb.jpg.0cccb6ce5cfc288c341ed50798928bd0.jpg

What's the specific size of this gorilla tape so I can get some, I can only find the 1.5" stuff. Thanks 

On 10/23/2020 at 1:35 AM, 70's child said:

What's the specific size of this gorilla tape so I can get some, I can only find the 1.5" stuff. Thanks 

2.88 inches. Look carefully at the picture of it in my post. I picked it up at Lowes here in the USA. I don't know if you have equivalent hard ware stores in the UK.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:43 PM, null said:

Had a look at the wheel well today, there is zero waterproofing and a good random mm or gap all along.
Possibly best to silicone it some day when swapping tyre.

Thanks for checking. Have you found that there's a gap between left and right sides of the shell and water sprayed from the wheel would go anywhere?

Or is it still only regarding the top panel, display, buttons and ultimately what covers the main board?

There is a small gap between the left and right shells, where the water is sprayed from the tyre. Whether it is a problem for the logic board or batteries I don’t know, but the less water inside the better IMO..

Edited by null
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, null said:

There is a small gap between the left and right shells, where the water is sprayed from the tyre. Whether it is a problem for the logic board or batteries I don’t know, but the less water inside the better IMO..

Thanks for the details!
Since there'll be large amounts of water, dirt, sand and other particles sprayed with high velocity from the tire to the seam between the shell yeah it'll be problematic unless the seal is not far.

I'm curious to know if you checked all these areas:

• channel under the main board to bring airflow to its heat sink
  • top shell sealing
  • LCD display
  • trolley handle water ingress and egress
  • axle / bearings
  • main shell: can water and dirt enter around the pedal hangers (like on 16X) and inside the left and right battery compartments
  • 3.5mm audio jack connectors used for lights
  • charging ports - in case the user forgets to close the plugs

I haven’t checked all those places, some are standard like the GX plugs, some are difficult to access like the mini jack ports. We’ll have to hope for someone who is more into disassembling things than me.

• Like 1