How much of your transportation is EUC?

Aaron Corsi

My transportation situation is that between my partner and I we only have one car (a Chevy Cruze diesel) that he uses pretty much exclusively (I really only take the car for out of state hiking trips). When my last car bit the dust and I was looking at replacing it I decided I would just go ahead and make the cutoff to never buy a gas vehicle again so we ended up moving closer to my work and I used public transportation for a few years (which is not ideal in my city). This year I decided to get another vehicle but wanted to limit myself to electrics that I could buy without a loan. I ended up getting a pretty capable electric scooter for getting around the city and a Ninebot One E+ for short trips, commuting to work, and supplementing public transportation when needed. When we buy a house in a few years we're planning to install solar/wind power to charge all of our electric vehicles including the inevitable electric car that will replace the diesel. So far the Ninebot has just replaced my bus ride to work, but it's only been a few weeks. I've really been racking up the miles with pleasure riding after work though, I can't get over how fun this thing is!

So my question to you all is how much of your transportation is by EUC? Have any of you taken your car or other large vehicle out of your life completely? 

I imagine the most common uses for EUC as practical transportation are commuting a short distance across town to work, riding to and from train/bus stations, and riding it to and from a distant parking garage. Has anybody found another interesting place to fit an EUC into their life as practical transportation?

EU for 80% of my 2 mi commutes to work. 

EU for 90% of my errands around town (<5 mi total)

I use a gas scooter when I'm in a hurry to get to work, and a car when I have to transport cargo or rain is heavy. I use a car for all trips longer than 10 mi. Throw in a few bike ride commutes, but the EU has replaced most of my bike commutes: it is now my fun way in to work. Trouble is, it takes me so long to get on safety gear that I need to hop on the scooter when I'm needed at work urgently.

I may take 90% of my trips on EU, but 99% of my miles are in car because I'm going 100s of miles when I take a long trip.

The best advantages of the EU as transport is that I use both road and sidewalk, choosing which is safest at the moment and less intrusive to drivers/walkers, and I can wheel up to the door at work and step off to walk to the elevator, rather than park in the employee lot and walk a long distance to the door.

I don't see my EUC replacing commuting travel as I am retired [70 yo] but it does make a trip to the bank, doctor, supermarket, and along the riverbank specially fun.

Hope you have sufficient replies to get some interesting stats. 

0 at this time for me.  I have commuted to and from work via bike and train in the past but current projects at work have prevented this.  It is a 12.5 mile total round trip on bike.  I will be trying out my Ninebot as another alternative to the bike.

It has replaced my car, I use it in conjunction with bus, but winter is coming so Jan, Feb, part of Dec and Mar is going to be very hard on me getting home from work....bus system takes racks off so no biking home either....?

11 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

It has replaced my car, I use it in conjunction with bus, but winter is coming so Jan, Feb, part of Dec and Mar is going to be very hard on me getting home from work....bus system takes racks off so no biking home either....?

I'm dreading winter this year. Usually I love it because I work for a university so I actually get paid snow days when the weather gets really bad but honestly I'd rather work and still get to ride my wheel.

I am a Car Nut at heart so nothing can replace my car(s). but during summer I didnt use my daily driver, instead used my EUC for commute or small errands. And the large shoppingtrips I did with my oldtimer. :)

Every  time I can cover the distance in less that 30min (my feet start to cramp up by that time, so I need a faster EUC to extend my radius): for running errand and in combination with the train for commuting (EU). Next year I plan to take it with us on vacation, when we go camping (I wonder if I can charge it while driving the car).

I just bought a IPS 122 (should be here Friday). I don't live in an urban area. I bought it to have fun and hope to get my teenage son interested in something besides video games.

But it would be nice to take to a football game and not have to walk so far. Don't know if that would be a good idea because, where would I put it after I got in to the stadium?

Archived