Wheel not aligned in the housing?

null

I almost put this in the GotWay sub as its the same structure and factory but well, 

Is it normal that the wheel is not aligned properly in the housing?
The tyre was set on badly so I reset that (now it doesn't wobble when spinning) however the spacing between the tyre and the housing is different everywhere. Not talking a couple of mm, but as much as 13mm on one side vs 5mm at the same spot on the other side.

Is this supposed to be acceptable, or
is there anything that can be done, or
is something seriously wrong?

The whole thing is fairly shoddily assembled, the workers don't seem to eyeball soldering rather than using a template. If I need to file some sort of warranty complain it has to be now, and I don't know whether this is an issue or it will just be tearing at my soul without falling apart. I don't even know if I could swap to a H666 tyre as there is so little margin on the tight side -_-

Thanks for your reading and any input. 

edit: Seems this might be a GotWay thing, got to keep it shoddy etc, wtf.
Must be the motor that isn't entered on the axis, as well as the housing bending here and there.
Garden chairs have better tolerance than this. Unimpressed.

Edit: it turns out it was the handle bar bending the housing. See the front light is tilted? Actually the holder is correctly soldered, but the left leg (on photo) is too long, and it pushes the whole thing (including housing) up and right. ( Details )

DSC09805.jpg

Edited by null
  • Like 1

There are at least two 16x users here on the forum including myself with wonky clearances. Also have spotted plenty of offset/wonky tyres in group rides mostly from gotways without mudguards. With a mudguard on it's much harder to spot from the back. 

So I guess it's still common practice to have shoddy assembly among most brands.

• Like 2

Hello Null,

That's strange for such a large variance; I haven't seen that much on any of the wheels I've worked on.

If you haven't already, remove the wheel and check the spacer width between the pedal bracket and the motor housing. I haven't seen any difference before but who knows. It could be the body but it looks strait in the pics.

Ride safe,

Edited by Blassreiter
  • Like 1

Thanks, I'll not expect perfection from the manufacturers but this is a bit seriously only for a device in that price class.. 
It's probably the placement on the axis, the housing can't be that warped.
I 'll try adjusting it if I ever get as far as disassembling the motor, or swap it if any seriously revised version from veteran (mine vibrates between 20 and 27kmh)

Most EUCs I've ridden had some vibrations at some points (mostly lower speed), its probably some synergies inside the motor. The topic was up previously and I believe the consensus was that its just how cheap motors are. Quite annoying when it happens at a common riding speed though..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blassreiter said:

I can attest to that too and when you speed up it get a little better wth..

ive been looking into balancing lead options for the wheels that are really bad. Do you think that would help in these cases? 

I'm afraid we have so many other approximations on our wheels that no-one have explored balancing leads yet :) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think there is some misunderstanding here, the thread might have been a bit derailed.

I never had any issue with ride, only with the bent housing rubbing the tyre when mounting and doing one legged. I solved this problem by bending the handle bar: now the housing has proper margin to the tyre. So it rides just the same as before: perfectly fine.

Thank you for your suggestions regarding deflating the tyre, I thought you where talking to some other poster as it didn't relate to my issue.

Edited by null

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, could you or anyone else flip your sherman upside down and check in between the left and right pedal hangers and see if they're identical? My wheel's right side has 2 washers; a smaller washer on the inner side and a larger one on the outer side. My left side only seems to have the larger washer. The motor casing is pretty much nearly flush with the hanger/shell on the left and rubs slightly. 

Its a bit impractical for me right now but I'll have a look next time I move it.
As far as I remember there wasn't any difference in spacing between the two pedals and the motor.