What does everybody do for work?

Dreygun

Electronics engineer that doesn't work on electronics much, or do much engineering (except at home).....25 years at 10 different places....ranging from military/aerospace sub-contracting, semiconductor manufacturing,  telecommunications, consumer electronics...and I even worked for the oil and gas industry for a couple years.

This year I have gotten my fair share of playing with spreadsheets. 3 months sitting in front a computer collecting data is enough the kill your back.

(corporate slave).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

6 years in the Marine Corps, taught taichi for 10 years, retired after 25 years from PADI teaching scuba diving, full time hospital secretary.... 4 more years toward retirement....After retirement, teach people to ride EUCs?!

Six years reserve army, six years taba aikido.

Did consider going for bsac and padi but backed off when I saw the price of the kit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Liv2xplore said:

I'm a buyer for one of the largest industrial hose and fittings companies in the country. Been there for 15 years, started in the warehouse, moved through parts sales and am now a purchaser for 4 of our locations including our Alaska locations. A Government Sales position just opened up and since I used to do that before it was an official position I'll be applying for it tomorrow. Of course I'll only take it if there's a pay raise involved. No reason to take on more stress for less money.

We are practically neighbors.  I am in Centralia.  Best of luck with the job change and pay increase.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dgar said:

I can tell you, there certain IS life after 40. 40 is when my life basically started...running marathons, rock climbing, camping and hiking

I love people who spread hope and paint me a bright future. 🤣 when I was 18, I thought wouldn’t it be wonderful to live until 40, then skip the next 20 fruitless, stressful and unsatisfying years of slavery all the way straight to 60+ and enjoy the wisdom and freedom and know-it-all-attitude of the elderly. But then, I discovered the „inherent value in work thing“ and now I read you write „... there certain(ly) IS live after 40.“ and I am intrigued to trust you. It starts to feel right. So thanks for giving me hope! 🙏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I love people who spread hope and paint me a bright future.

Thanks. I think it depends on how you approach it too. If you want to be a couch potato (I almost was) and complain about everything, then you may be pretty miserable after 40. But by your 40's, any kids you have are usually more independent, you have more disposable income (assuming you aren't up to your neck in debt) and you have some things in life sort of figured out. Try new things and you may find something that makes your life so much more fulfilling regardless of what age. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, /Dev/Null said:

thinking about a second kid... :)

I already admire your upcoming second kid. I wish I had had a father with a collection of EUCs. My father only had pricy cars that he was very reluctant to ever let me drive ...  

image.png

• Like 1

I work as an information-systems diplomat: an artist in sham engineers' feathers.  But, in my imagination, I tend a large, clattering machine and repair it by forging replacement parts; and the emails that I send are actually doves that I am juggling.

• Like 3