Getting back onto the horse

chopsywa

Well after 4 years and a couple of thousand kilometres I had a nasty prang, fortunately at low speed when my MCM5 controller died and dropped me on the pavement. Fortunately I was only going a bit above walking speed after cruising at 30km/h. It still really hurt though. 

I was looking to buy an Inmotion V11, but now I am considering whether I want to put my life back into the hands of cheap Chinese manufactured gear. I love riding EUC, but I am not sure I can trust them any more. I know in the old days, Gotways were reliable in their unreliability and people got hurt, but I thought they were past that now. How many here have had sudden failures? I would like to get some sort of probability of knowing whether this is likely to happen again. I am nearly 60, so smacking the pavement is not a great idea for people my age.

Sorry that happened, electrical problems is the one thing most people seem to overlook but it could happen to anyone even if it's a rare occurance.

There are no guarantees since it's a vehicle that relies on many factors, there are riders that have no accidents at all ever, some even ride without gear (risky) but if you are really worried about something happening even when fully geared up then maybe other vehicle alternatives would be an option? An electric bike is also quite fast, comfortable AND safe (I own two, an eHybrid which is super comfortable to ride and a eMtb), my hybrid with package holder and two side bags is also somewhat of a pack-mule and is great for transporting stuff over distances and I use it frequently.

Failures on aircraft and EUC's can be bad, if it's man made, it can break, whether or not it's worth the risk is entirely up to the individual.  Like others have said, there's lots of cool PEV's out there, maybe try something different, if none of them work for you, grab an MTen3 and play around in your yard, I ride mine a lot in grass and it's fine. 

On 9/5/2020 at 8:12 PM, chopsywa said:

Well after 4 years and a couple of thousand kilometres I had a nasty prang, fortunately at low speed when my MCM5 controller died and dropped me on the pavement. Fortunately I was only going a bit above walking speed after cruising at 30km/h. It still really hurt though. 

I was looking to buy an Inmotion V11, but now I am considering whether I want to put my life back into the hands of cheap Chinese manufactured gear. I love riding EUC, but I am not sure I can trust them any more. I know in the old days, Gotways were reliable in their unreliability and people got hurt, but I thought they were past that now. How many here have had sudden failures? I would like to get some sort of probability of knowing whether this is likely to happen again. I am nearly 60, so smacking the pavement is not a great idea for people my age.

Thats unfortunate, sorry to hear about your crash. Any more details? Other riding conditions at the time? Did anyone open up the wheel to find out the exact cause of the failure?

I had 2 face plants, both on KS16. One happened when I was a beginner hitting a pothole, lost my balance and dove literally into the pavement. Second happened with KS16 making a strange clunking noise, but I kept riding it, which I shouldn't have done and it cut out on me...still not sure really what caused it? The lesson I learnt is always wear protective gear, especially for the face. Like a lot of things, inherent risks always exist. Statistically speaking, I don't think EUCs are anywhere close to being high or medium risk category. So keep riding and stay protected and continue to have fun!:laughbounce2:  I had a car accident on a slippery road that landed me in the hospital...lost consciousness and a broken nose, but I am still driving if this will boost anyone's confidence....