Pimp my Electric Unicycle

Chuts

Was curious to know if anyone has done any extreme make-overs or accessory attachments to their electric unicycles?  Only person I know of who has stepped into this area is Simon Tay.  Check out this video for some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZIrowVGsQ&list=PLy9zQPaGCo2GdNjbVwkaMPSByFRA1UAVP&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZIrowVGsQ&list=PLy9zQPaGCo2GdNjbVwkaMPSByFRA1UAVP&index=3

• 3 months later...

Thought I would resurrect this old thread of mine for this.

Although not really much of a pimp up per say I though I would spray paint my EU.  Partially because it was getting a lot of dings on it and with the recent bad media coverage in Hong Kong where a man was seen riding in the road in traffic.  He also had a black IPS so to stop people from thinking its me this is what I done:

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

I am somewhat pimp my Gotway 18 "

13889470.t.jpg

Tuning list ..
For winter driving batteries heating with separate batteries.
Internal air circulation fans to provide even heat distribution.
The same air recycling can be used in summer to cool the battery and circuit board. Also, a separate cool air blowing in.
The circuit board added a lot of cooling surface area. The tire flaps which aired driving circuit board.

For all batteries a voltage monitor and alarm if the voltages of any changes. Driving batteries, an alarm each individual battery cells.
Also, the battery temperature monitoring and alarm temperature is too high.

Speaker ON OFF switch.

All added technology encased in protection of the flexible enclosure and on top of the transparent flexible opening window.

Pedals have been moved up higher, and added grip screws and coarse tape.
Origin ring is also changed to a coarser.
My Gotway is now slightly higher, and the soft top, so it is comfortable to drive in seated position.

The batteries are lipo batteries and chargers can I download my 120A current. Original charger to recharge 2A. My driving batteries, therefore, is charging a little faster.

Then there are the lights that I will certainly be seen in traffic.
These are so bright that they indeed also sees the drive. But I will mostly off-road hard, and these are not enough.

13893303.t.jpg

All are shown in the picture download equipment. They weigh a total of 30 pounds. Not nice move but, nice otherwise.

Download at full speed consumes electricity 4800W. 2x16A fuse is required.

13877534.t.jpg

Certainly something forgot to tell you. But if this was not you are familiar with, please visit more of my (I plane to test ..)

Subject thread is not the point. But it can not be changed afterwards.

More pics

http://aijaa.com/a/jq5up6

My videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/taskulamppufriikki/videos

I'm planning to put either a voltage/current-display or just voltage display on the front/top of the Firewheel with the new custom-battery packs. Might add the voltage-only -displays for single batteries or charge side also... Some day I might ask a airbrush-artist to paint the shells with custom image, I have some designs in mind, but probably not going to that until maybe next summer.

Before I bought it, vee73 had at least battery temperature display, battery heating, integrated bike computer and home-made studded tire on the FW for winter-riding. There are pictures and videos in his I plan to test... -thread (riding around in -30C / -22F), link in vee's post above. :)  Also this image from the national news shows off the added temperature display and some leds:

http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/lappi/article7765335.ece/ALTERNATES/w960/yksipyörä yksipyöräinen solopyörä soolopyörä yksirenkainen 1 28012015

There is the 24k gold Solowheel: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wiyxc_l-objet-inutile-de-l-ete-le-solowheel-en-or-24-carats_news  :D for about $45000,- it is yours :rolleyes:

Was talking about this in another thread.  The wheel they gold plated is a Cxinwalk / Suoku.  (Generic wheel branded with different names.)  A mid level EU, would have thought they would have gold plated a more expensive product.  They probably chose that one as it is quite aesthetically pleasing.

Here is another small tip I would like to share with everyone :)

I ordered a headlamp in order to wear on night runs so that I could turn my head and look at places while riding and allows me to keep my hands free.  Without having to hold onto a flashlight for example.  All good and well you say but I also noticed that (If your EU is shaped like mine) and you don't like having a light source on your head and prefer to mount one on your EU.  That you can actually place a headlamp on your EU like it was your head.  Best thing is you can attach and remove very easily and its pretty secure.

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

Added some legs to my wheel in order for it to free stand.  Have always hated leaning the EU against a wall no matter if it is at home or out and about.

I found some "L" shaped corner brackets at hardware store which I re-purposed into legs for my EU.  Luck was with me as they where the ideal length.  The top holes where too small and had to drill to make holes bigger so that the trolly handle screws could fit through them.  While riding I have the legs turned up to the top and just pull them down if I need to stand somewhere.

Pretty simple but it does mean you need the long screws for your back pedals.

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG

@John Eucist Guess about the same amount of time and hassle to walk up to a wall or heavy object to lean it against.

Also you have the added bonus of the following... Notice that my EU right in the center is not actually leaning against anything :)

DSC_0319.JPG

P.S - I have also now cut the bottom front and back of my EU to expose more of the tire for getting up and down curbs more easily.

Added some legs to my wheel in order for it to free stand.  Have always hated leaning the EU against a wall no matter if it is at home or out and about.

I found some "L" shaped corner brackets at hardware store which I re-purposed into legs for my EU.  Luck was with me as they where the ideal length.  The top holes where too small and had to drill to make holes bigger so that the trolly handle screws could fit through them.  While riding I have the legs turned up to the top and just pull them down if I need to stand somewhere.

They better don't get loose while driving. I would have some safety concerns, as these screws can get loose over time.

@Niko Really depends how tight you fasten the screws.  I've been on a 25k+ journey already with 3-4 stops using them for each stop and did not have any issues with them becoming loose.

It depends on all kind of conditions and they might become loose only after 500km or 2000km or 8000km, or, if you are lucky, never in the life time of this EUC. The problem is that you don't want this to happen even once, ever. I guess, Loctite is your friend :-)

@Niko Its just ridicules to think that if someone adds in stands like this who likes to tinker with their EUs and spends time and effort to do this that they wouldn't re-tighten or even check on screws.  Its just common sense, but really if you are someone reading this and you are fearful that the "Legs" will fall down then simply don't install them or find another way to make a stand.

A good tip for EU riders is to always carry Allen keys and also a multi tool with them especially on extended journeys.

Edit - This is a basic setup to give people ideas for a stand.  The next step people could do to kick it up a notch could be to attach Velcro strips to make it even more unlikely to move when riding.  All you need is some imagination and a dash of ingenuity.

I'm already thinking about adding castors to the bottom so I can push it along and make it even more convenient to use.

@Niko Its just ridicules to think that if someone adds in stands like this who likes to tinker with their EUs and spends time and effort to do this that they wouldn't re-tighten or even check on screws.  Its just common sense, [...]

well, I guess then it's "ridiculous" thoughts which often prevent smaller and larger catastrophes in the first place ;-) To me it's common sense that people will make mistakes all the time. Therefore we try, by design, to keep the costs for making mistakes as small as possible.

@Niko As mentioned in the edited section of my last post this is to provide a basic setup for a stand.  I'm not making this setup obligatory for everyone to do.  I'm providing an idea of a stand that might be useful to someone.  If you find this stand risky then there is nothing stopping you or others from bringing your own innovation to it.  You make it as safe or as reckless as you want it to be.

You are right about making mistakes as small as possible.  In that I challenge you to improve on my setup.  As this is what this whole modding section is about.  Trying to improve on your EU with ideas and making your experience in using these things better .

@Niko I'm not opposing them.  I just feel that this is a modding thread in the modding section of the forum and safety is for each individual to decide what it should be for them.  Its not like I am selling a product and I have to provide certain safety standards.  You have your own level of what you class as safe and I have my own.  Difference is I don't go around trying to enforce my standards to you or anyone else.

The difference is, I just feel that safety should concern everybody anywhere and must be as openly and frankly discussed as possible, while modding is for each individual to decide.

@Niko Thats the whole enjoyment of modding.  I supplied a simple setup for people.  Yourself and possibly some others may find it intriguing but worried over it falling down like you have voiced in your previous posts.  Now you take that simple setup and make it work for yourself. (If you want to that is)

I encourage this wholeheartedly, as changes that you or others have made will undoubtedly help someone else who hasn't thought about it yet.  Allows for even more change as someone further down the line may take your design and improve on it further.

@Niko Thats the whole enjoyment of modding.  I supplied a simple setup for people.  Yourself and possibly some others may find it intriguing but worried over it falling down like you have voiced in your previous posts.  Now you take that simple setup and make it work for yourself. (If you want to that is)

My first thought when I saw this was also: looks dangerous. It seem like you @Chuts are not worried about this, and mine and apparantly @Niko's worries might be exaggerated.

Besides that, it seems like the stand is at the rear of the wheel, which in my mind makes it a little less dangerous IF it goes down while driving, since it would probably just get deformed due to momentum...

@John Eucist Guess about the same amount of time and hassle to walk up to a wall or heavy object to lean it against.

Also you have the added bonus of the following... Notice that my EU right in the center is not actually leaning against anything :)

DSC_0319.JPG

P.S - I have also now cut the bottom front and back of my EU to expose more of the tire for getting up and down curbs more easily.

I noticed this is the same photo that Yatwah Li aka Tommy posted in my hk fb group. Are you in his whatsapp group or my hk fb group? 

Archived