An idea how to fight kingsong wheel overheating

Cloud

I got an idea. If you create air vents by drilling holes and DIY some rain hoods on top of the vents. This will give some airflow from front to back and will dissipate the heat.

But seriously, you might have some defects on your motherboard since nobody else has this problem. :mellow:

10 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Have you checked up inside the casing above the wheel with a torch? 

If the alloy heat sink plate that is open to the wheel has a coating of dirt/mud then it could be affecting the cooling a lot.

Batteries need to be warm to give their best performance. Tesla heat their car battery packs and performance is limited when the batteries are cold.

Last time i opened the wheel, if i remember correctly it wasnt super clean but it wasnt covered with a layer of mud either

9 hours ago, Chriull said:

Or you just change the tire and hope that your overheating problem goes away by itself ;) :

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1567-mysterious-resolution-to-the-kingsong-overheating-tiltback/

Funny. I thought about this too:)  i realize how ridiculoud this sounds but it really hapoened. When i changed the tire, one of those time, the overheating went away. And i have a feeling that this behavior changes every time i open up the wheel. I dont know how to explain this, buy i must be moving something around on the control board that makes this difference. I wish i could figure out what it is and do it conciously,

9 hours ago, SlowMo said:

I got an idea. If you create air vents by drilling holes and DIY some rain hoods on top of the vents. This will give some airflow from front to back and will dissipate the heat.

But seriously, you might have some defects on your motherboard since nobody else has this problem. :mellow:

I thought about this too, yes this is viable and i might go for that.

i am not sure if others have this issue or not.  There are still not too many kingsong owners on the forum and also this issue comes with certain riding style. If one is just cruising along, they may not be experiencing it.

however, it is very possible that this is unique to my wheel, especially since this seems to be changing after i open up the wheel to change the tire

I suppose that if you could get an alloy mudguard of the right size off of a kids bike and attach it thermally to the heat sink plate at the top of the wheel it would increase the heat dissipation a huge amount and actually improve water proofing of the wheel.

At least somewhat related:

It would be pretty cool to get thermal imaging from the wheel (especially in cold conditions) to see what parts get hot... Any of you happen to own a FLIR-camera (or whatever they were called)? ;) 

Also, does anyone happen to remember if @Eryk88 had anymore thermal camera pictures from batteries & mainboards than these:

FLIR0004.thumb.jpg.1039bd90eddbad30f4a17Screen_Shot_2015-07-01_at_10.18.18.thumb

His comments here (back when him and hobby16 were fighting about the BMS mod) have an attached PDF, but I can't download it (just opens an empty page), anyone have that stored somewhere? Don't know if it contains more images or if it's just some other document...

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

Funny. I thought about this too:)  i realize how ridiculoud this sounds but it really hapoened. When i changed the tire, one of those time, the overheating went away. And i have a feeling that this behavior changes every time i open up the wheel. I dont know how to explain this, buy i must be moving something around on the control board that makes this difference. I wish i could figure out what it is and do it conciously,

Could it be, that the connection from the Mosfets to the heatsink is not proper? I have "guessed" in some pictures of EUC mainboards some maybe not so nice constructions. The connection and the materials between the mosfets and the heatsink can easily hinder any thermal flow from the Mosfet.

But on the other side, if thats the case, the Mosfet would just die and there should be no way how the EUC could get notice of a single mosfet overheating.

Maybe with every opening and closing of the EUC housing you shifted the postition of the thermal sensor a little bit - the power dissipation and heat was exactly the same, but the sensor was in a position, where it got faster the hot air and triggered the overheating reaction of the EUC earlier?

Would be interesting, where this thermal sensor is located. Would make sense to put it on the heatsink, but i've never seen it on a photo?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Could it be, that the connection from the Mosfets to the heatsink is not proper? I have "guessed" in some pictures of EUC mainboards some maybe not so nice constructions. The connection and the materials between the mosfets and the heatsink can easily hinder any thermal flow from the Mosfet.

But on the other side, if thats the case, the Mosfet would just die and there should be no way how the EUC could get notice of a single mosfet overheating.

Maybe with every opening and closing of the EUC housing you shifted the postition of the thermal sensor a little bit - the power dissipation and heat was exactly the same, but the sensor was in a position, where it got faster the hot air and triggered the overheating reaction of the EUC earlier?

Would be interesting, where this thermal sensor is located. Would make sense to put it on the heatsink, but i've never seen it on a photo?

I think you may be on to something, i dont know the location of the sensor, i thought that maybe i moved it when i opened the wheel. This would be great to know

the connection of the board in relation to the heat sink may be the most probable cause, the board is secured to the plastic body inderneath. Ia 4 little screws and thise screws dont work any more, i think the thred on the plastic counterpart was stripped. As a result the board may not be sitting on the metail plate tight, and i understand that the metal plate is the heat sink? This could very well be the reason. 

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

I think you may be on to something, i dont know the location of the sensor, i thought that maybe i moved it when i opened the wheel. This would be great to know

the connection of the board in relation to the heat sink may be the most probable cause, the board is secured to the plastic body inderneath. Ia 4 little screws and thise screws dont work any more, i think the thred on the plastic counterpart was stripped. As a result the board may not be sitting on the metail plate tight, and i understand that the metal plate is the heat sink? This could very well be the reason. 

You have two heatsinks? The one, the mosfets are screwed onto and a metal plate which should/could touch this first heatsink? And the metal plate leading to the outside (or inside near the wheel)?

If so this could definitely be the cause! For good operation the heat sink of the mosfets and the metal plate should be screwed/clipped together tightly with a thin film of thermal paste inbetween. Just a couple of micrometers of air inbetween caused by the surface roughness/dust increases the thermal resistane quite a lot.

16 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You have two heatsinks? The one, the mosfets are screwed onto and a metal plate which should/could touch this first heatsink? And the metal plate leading to the outside (or inside near the wheel)?

If so this could definitely be the cause! For good operation the heat sink of the mosfets and the metal plate should be screwed/clipped together tightly with a thin film of thermal paste inbetween. Just a couple of micrometers of air inbetween caused by the surface roughness/dust increases the thermal resistane quite a lot.

I am not sure. I thought the metal plate under the control board was the heat sink...but i am not sure any more. When i open up the wheel i will try to figure it out and will try to take pictures.  Thank you

Archived