A flat tyre whilst travelling at 15kmh

Phil Wright

Was out riding for the first major City ride today, and on my way back home and whilst cruising at around 15kmh, I felt a distinct "spongeyness" and lack of control of the tyre to the road. Kind of felt like the tyre was rolling from side to side...I was able to run it out without falling, and gingerly remounted going at a lot slower speed, and still the "spongey" feeling was there - very disconcerting....

I decided to carry it home the final 300mtrs not risking any more damage, and have just had a look at Ian from Speedy Feet's video on checking leaks, and locating valves etc.

Not sure at this stage if it is a puncture or a sudden valve leak, I guess I'll need to now take it apart, get the tube out and check if it is the tube or the valve..... Arrrrghhhhhhhhh only had it a month......

Phil:

Ah, the dreaded flat!  Glad you were able to dismount without an issue.  I am thinking about building a small road bag, like I used when I was heavy into biking and racing - Flat fix, extra caps, CO2 cartridges and portable fill, long nozzle, etc.. I got all of this in a bag the size of my palm.    You might also want to look at tire liners, Something like this....

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168370_-1___000000

Any decent bike/triathlon store should have them.  

Good luck with the tire repair, and keep us informed on the difficulty and surprises. 

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim, appreciate the info and will check it out.

Was greatful I wasnt too far from home when it happened but it did cross my mind that if I was 10 kms away it wouldve been a painful walk home.

I'll unscrew it tonight and get the tube out and have a look at it, at the time it was happening I immediately thought about the Firmware update issues some have been having and thought, " geeez this is riding really strange" then I came off it....

So in a way I was glad it was a flat and not something more serious within the bot.

anyway, all part of owning a EUC I guess,

cheers mate all the best,

Phil

3 hours ago, Phil Wright said:

Was out riding for the first major City ride today, and on my way back home and whilst cruising at around 15kmh, I felt a distinct "spongeyness" and lack of control of the tyre to the road. Kind of felt like the tyre was rolling from side to side...I was able to run it out without falling, and gingerly remounted going at a lot slower speed, and still the "spongey" feeling was there - very disconcerting....

I decided to carry it home the final 300mtrs not risking any more damage, and have just had a look at Ian from Speedy Feet's video on checking leaks, and locating valves etc.

Not sure at this stage if it is a puncture or a sudden valve leak, I guess I'll need to now take it apart, get the tube out and check if it is the tube or the valve..... Arrrrghhhhhhhhh only had it a month......

Man, i have had the tire pop 6 times in 3 months while i was on the wheel, sometimes going at 25-28kph, this is not fun!!

Sadly, 3 tires and 7 tubes later, i am now an expert at replacing it...

anyway, without knowing what exactly happened, my advice to you - replace both the tube and the tire - tire is cheap and may just save you the agony of having to replace again. Dont fix the tube - replace it

if you see that it was a regular puncture - this is not so bad. If you see that the tube was rubbed in certain sports to the point that it became too thin and popped , then definitely replace the tire along with the tube.

id like to know how many miles your tire made before this happened, what kind of wheel do you have, if if you were just cruising or maybe you hit a sidewalk ramp of something?

Hi there Cloud, good advice there, I was actually thinking of replacing both...but just want to take the tyre off first and have a look.

Im riding a 9BO e+ N20 - and have only had it for a month with just 22km on the clock.

At the time it went flat, I was riding very calmly, on flat tiled road, definitely havent bumped it into gutters or such as Im just a new rider and am very careful with speeds and bumps etc.

Just a question if I may.

Am I able to replace the tube and tyre with any 16" tube and tyre, or is it a specific type which needs to be orderred from the net?

thanks in advance for any advice,

phil

4 hours ago, Phil Wright said:

Not aure about the bot, but i think it doesnt have to be a specific tire. It could be another unicycle or bixycle tire which works with the same air pressure. Same with the tube, just make sure that if your original tube has a cuved valve then you will need to find one with a curved valve also. They have them on amazon and ebay and your distributor may have them too. Search for angled or bent valve. Ive tried several different tubes i got on amazon and ebay. Also i tried a different type of tire also and it worked ok. I think it was a kenda tire.

1 minute ago, Phil Wright said:

Thanks for the info mate appreciate that.

Might ask around a few bike shops for the bent valve type, and if no luck there, then off to Ebay or Amazon.

thanks for your help

When i was trying to find the tube i drove around 3-4 bike shops and no one had the bent valve. Maybe you will have a better luck.

8 minutes ago, Phil Wright said:

Thanks for the info mate appreciate that.

Might ask around a few bike shops for the bent valve type, and if no luck there, then off to Ebay or Amazon.

thanks for your help

They sell it here at Ali Express:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Ninebot-One-Accessories-Ninebot-Tires-Scooter-Outer-and-Inner-Tires-electric-unicycle-ninebot/32471738732.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.MY1usN&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_1

4 minutes ago, Phil Wright said:

Thanks guys, I just bought 1x Kendra tyre and 2 x tubes and an extender which screws onto the valve to save having to take the light ring off each time one wants to pump the tyres up.

Looks like Im off the road for a cpl weeks.....damn..

Why don't you patch your inner tube first and see if it would hold until you get your replacement rather than waiting for another 2-3 weeks?

This sucks. You sure noone can deliver faster? I went thru this several time, i couldnt stand having to walk again, it was unbearable.

you can patch it like Slowmo suggested, but i am sure opening the wheel twice is no fun either.

one thing you can try, even if the bike stores dont have the angled valve, they can probably order one and they will receive it fast from their suppliers. I forgot to tell you this before. Try asking them.

5 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Opening the Ninebot is easy as pie. Also adding the gooey Slime seems to minimize such occurrences.

Got you. I didnt know that.

Replacing the tube on kingsong is at least an hour to 2 hours. ( first time took me 3.5 hrs:).

Fix the tube then !:)

Phil:

Sorry to hear about the wait, but I'd recommend fixing the puncture if it will get you on the road that much faster, add the flat-fix stuff and you should be good until you get the new tubes.  At the very least you will gain experience taking on and off the tire and tube! 

Keep the rubber side down!

Cheers,

Jim

Archived