Riding one leg question

Dgar

I am a pretty new rider. I got a KS 14D to learn on and have ordered a V11. I only have about 150 miles under my belt so far and feel comfortable with most normal scenarios. I have been trying to learn to ride on one leg but I don't seem to be able to get enough leverage pressing the inside of my calf against the top of the wheel. I was wondering...for those of you who had smaller wheels and have graduated to larger wheels, is it easier with a larger wheel? It would seem you could get more leverage because the top of the wheel would press higher up on your leg and maybe more weight to the wheel helps. As it is now, it feels like I need to bend my knee down pretty low to get the leverage I need against the top of the wheel. Maybe I just need to keep practicing. :confused1:

• 2 weeks later...

I can ride backwards, forwards and do 180,s,mount smoothly will either leg but really struggling with the one legged riding. Until I can do this I wont have mastered the Euc. Its like everything on an EUC ,its a process of time, practice and perseverance. I have seen @pico ride one legged and that is fantastic. Maybe he should do a tutorial for all us wannabe one-legged riders????:whistling:

• Like 2

That is pretty impressive. I have watched many videos about riding one legged but it still seems a little beyond my grasp. I can finally mount the wheel without holding on to something but it's a quick jump so my foot placement isn't great. Every time I ride I take time to work on trying to lift up one foot while riding. I've gotten to where I can lift my heel on one foot but any more than that feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Sometimes I wonder if my ankle or knee just isn't strong enough yet. LIke Zopper mentions above, it's 99% sweat. I'll continue working on it. In the meantime @pico, I'll keep my eyes open for your video!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't feel bad dude i never learned backwards riding i'm simply too impatient. Every time i start practicing it after 5 minutes i'm like " meh never mind i always ride full speed anyways and this is tedious" I can do backwards and forwards rapidly to stabilize which is all i ever felt i needed to know when it comes to backwards riding. But i try not to become complacent by always working on some aspect of riding, as of right now i'm working on going up and down stairs so at least i'm going somewhere although not backwards. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

after 5 minutes

:blink: This skill took "only" 5 months!

side-pedal.jpg

Anyone other than @trya practicing those super fun side pedals skills? Just curious and intrigued...:roflmao:

Yes, I'm trying to learn one leg riding. I agree that it's useful when mounting and getting foot position right. I notice that Sidestreet Reny drops off steps on one leg and I think that kind of control would be great when re-mounting when crossing the road after waiting at lights. I still have slight wobbles after first mounting when trying to adjust foot position, and that's no fun in the middle of the road! 

I really appreciate your tutorial video @pico, thank you for making it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 6:16 PM, Daley1 said:

I can ride backwards, forwards and do 180,s,mount smoothly will either leg but really struggling with the one legged riding. Until I can do this I wont have mastered the Euc. Its like everything on an EUC ,its a process of time, practice and perseverance. I have seen @pico ride one legged and that is fantastic. Maybe he should do a tutorial for all us wannabe one-legged riders????:whistling:

What is the method for learning to ride backwards? (If you would be so kind as to share)

46 minutes ago, ChiWestSider said:

the method

Think ASS FIRST! :roflmao:Like if you wanted to SIT !!!

In forward the motto is LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

In backward POINT YOUR ASS WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

Hips will follow, then shoulders, and last the eyes (when you are a pro)

When you make corrections lead with the ASS !!!:whistling:

Leaning backward with straight legs is the biggest beginner error. You rapidly lose control and risk falling on your back (ouch).

The amount of sitting in the beginning will control the speed of the rearward motion.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pico said:

Think ASS FIRST! :roflmao:Like if you wanted to SIT !!!

In forward the motto is LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

In backward POINT YOUR ASS WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

Hips will follow, then shoulders, and last the eyes (when you are a pro)

When you make corrections lead with the ASS !!!:whistling:

Leaning backward with straight legs is the biggest beginner error. You rapidly lose control and risk falling on your back (ouch).

The amount of sitting in the beginning will control the speed of the rearward motion.  

Thank you, thank you,  thank you!!!

I've been trying in my kitchen hallway where i can extend my arms straight out to the sides to catch the walls.  I would have never even stumbled upon that technique. 

• Like 1

Persistence for me is WAY more than an hour or 10. I only ride one legged momentarily to move my feet around. I find it is VERY unpleasant on the knee and hip. Larger wheels seem easier tho, as higher point of leverage and contact. Ridign backwards is more about the transition and having the courage, over much else. Great info here and Pico knows his sh*t. Good breakdown by Zopper too, tho it makes me sad how much longer it takes me, than everyone else, it seems.

• Like 3

Well, those 10 hours were spaced over a few weeks, because I found it difficult to do the beginning steps for longer than 10 or so minutes at once. And when you look back, you see “it’s been two months since I really began learning it and I still can’t do it...” Which is where you have to keep going. :-)

For one leg, a good sole grip helps a lot too - try which shoe sticks the best  to the pedal.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, pico said:

Check this video of mine "Peace and Love" a lot of subtle ASS WORK at 00.23.

I saw your video Pico so you know me.... I added my 2 cents.:P

50983548607_48a823aee3_b.jpg

• Like 1

Finally practiced/attempted one leg riding today.Fail. !Spending to much time fast riding the Sherman and not enough skill practice!.As to learning to ride backwards ,i started next to the fence on a basketball court and pushed off backwards whilst  slowly increasing the distance. The longest i have ridden backwards was bout 2 km on the way home from work.The hardest part initially, is moving backwards where you cant see,As you get better you can look over your shoulder and not go off line. Find a big open space so as not to hit anything at the start.Tricky part is your brain  thinking ur going to fall and overcoming this.!When switching direction(penduluming ) from forward travel u  have to slow ,thrust ur wheel forward whilst leaning back and really commit strongly to this change of direction.

• Like 2