Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 11/30/2020 at 3:13 PM, NickNonsense said:

... I'm hearing a constitant knock on the wheel whenever i ride. Can also feel it too ...

Hi. Having the same issue with my RS HT.

I'm new into the EUC stuff and so my wheel received some beating before I learned to keep the balance. I started to hear the knock-knock-knock sound after a nasty spin and the wheel vibrates a bit with the sound as well so I can feel it on pedals, similar to your description. Almost as if there would be something like s small rubbery hammer hitting it from inside.

I'm a bit reluctant to start tearing the wheel apart, but I doubt I'd be able to find a repair shop around. So the question I have is - if it's the motor cable (sound plausible), should I open the wheel and try to fix it? Hmm, if it would get disconnected/teared/shorted, that could be nasty. I may need some hints how to do it safely.

Thanks for your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW everyone forgets this design originated from the 18” MSuperV3 many moons ago, and that wheel was much more like this RS19, slightly lower pedals for a more weight balanced wheel. When they m

EcoDrift pictures of the RS: Russian Original - English (Bing Translator) EcoDrift disassembles the RS (and compares to MSP and MSX): Russian Original - English (Bing Translator) All picture

Can be used, but are not used (see V11 - 12AWG or 14AWG or whatever is NOT a thick cable).  I think that's one of the biggest disappointments - the manufacturers finally switch to thicker axles (

Posted Images

I won't be riding in the rain on my incoming rs ht. If I get bearing problems too it won't be from moisture. 

I like the wheel so if it happens I'll try to find better bearings to replace them with. I'm hoping staying dry will keep em working for a decent amount of miles. Both my current wheels have about 4k miles on them, and they have been ridden in light rain, no issues at all with anything that wasn't completely my fault. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flying W said:

I won't be riding in the rain on my incoming rs ht. If I get bearing problems too it won't be from moisture. 

I like the wheel so if it happens I'll try to find better bearings to replace them with. I'm hoping staying dry will keep em working for a decent amount of miles. Both my current wheels have about 4k miles on them, and they have been ridden in light rain, no issues at all with anything that wasn't completely my fault. 

I'm hopeful for a similar outcome. My wheel arrives tomorrow, so.... looks like I'll find out!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone tell me how to play music through the RS?

Not seeing that feature in the EUC world app.

 

Also, does your fan turn on randomly even if the wheel has been cool and idle? I wish we could turn the fan off when it's unneccessary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bongaloid said:

Can someone tell me how to play music through the RS?

Not seeing that feature in the EUC world app.

 

Also, does your fan turn on randomly even if the wheel has been cool and idle? I wish we could turn the fan off when it's unneccessary. 

U don't play music thru EUC World or any other similar apps. Instead u pair the wheel thru the phone's BT settings as a BT speaker. It's got a funny name in the BT devices like GW_music_xxxx (x signifies numeric characters). Then you play music on the phone once its paired.

Can't answer the Q bout the random fan on though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JirkaMak said:

... I started to hear the knock-knock-knock sound after a nasty spin and the wheel vibrates a bit with the sound as well so I can feel it on pedals, similar to your description. Almost as if there would be something like s small rubbery hammer hitting it from inside ...

Took some brave pills and teared the wheel apart. The cable doesn't look to be off or hitting anything inside. The noise comes from the motor itself. I removed one of the cover plates but nothing suspicious in the motor as well. So it's either the bearing, or the rotor is a bit off center and combined with some less precise manufacturing it could scratch the magnets ring a bit at some point. This is way beyond my skills so I can't really tell.

BTW: Never saw such wiring mess. And wires are not protected, even those touching the shell rough surface and sharp corners. Added some wiring tape, but I'd have to redo the wiring completely to be ok with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JirkaMak said:

BTW: Never saw such wiring mess. And wires are not protected, even those touching the shell rough surface and sharp corners. Added some wiring tape, but I'd have to redo the wiring completely to be ok with that.

When you see inside these motors it makes you realize how adictive these wheels are. How they are as safe as they are baffles me! 

I know when the moon is the right shade of blue a wheel can shut down for no apparent reason, but so far every time I have come off it's been user error. 

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

I'm hopeful for a similar outcome. My wheel arrives tomorrow, so.... looks like I'll find out!

Mine too. First thing in going to do is open it up and check everything. Then re seat the tire and slime it. 

Hoping to put some miles down tomorrow as I'm off work. It's going to feel way different, I spend the last 4k miles on an mcm5. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered my RS about 9.5 weeks ago from China, it arrived today!  Unfortunately this wheel isn't listed yet by the only EUC retailer here in NZ, so there was no fast option.  I ordered from the same store I got my Kaabo Mantis from, no real problems ordering from China - except for that painfully long wait!

I've gone out and gotten an hour or so riding in.  I'm now able to mount and ride, next I'll try to learn how to control where I'm going and maintain balance.  There is definitely a steep learning curve when first learning to ride an EUC.  The wheel is heavy and the inside of each leg is a bit sore, but I'm sure I'll become conditioned to it over the next few days.

No one told be how physically demanding these things are to ride.  I've thrown the t-shirt I was wearing in the laundry basket because it got pretty soaked in sweat.  I guess I'm using different muscles for this and they need to become conditioned too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

No one told be how physically demanding these things are to ride.  I've thrown the t-shirt I was wearing in the laundry basket because it got pretty soaked in sweat.  I guess I'm using different muscles for this and they need to become conditioned too.

I'm sure a lot of EUC riders can relate - I know I can.  My first three days were very challenging indeed, and I was on a ninebot one e+!  But you are absolutely right - it is a conditioning and muscle memory thing.  In time you can relax on the wheel, sore spots recover and the EUC really begins to feel like a magic carpet glide.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

The wheel is heavy and the inside of each leg is a bit sore, but I'm sure I'll become conditioned to it over the next few days.

It's rough, I just started out too and it really beat up my ankles and I ended up bruising the inside of my leg. It's a really steep learning curve but when you get it it clicks fast. Today on my third day I went from barely being able to ride in a straight line to being able take really sharp turns and it feeling completely natural. Was really worried I made a mistake picking such a big heavy wheel for my first wheel for a bit but now I can't wait to go out and ride again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, buell47 said:

You should just use comfortable pads and not use the shit Gotway pads. :efee612b4b:

I haven't even put the shit Gotway pads on!

It would actually be worse if I hadn't been wearing my motorcycle boots, they go up higher than the contact point so they act as padding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bongaloid said:

Can someone tell me how to play music through the RS?

Not seeing that feature in the EUC world app.

 

Also, does your fan turn on randomly even if the wheel has been cool and idle? I wish we could turn the fan off when it's unneccessary. 

They have changed behaviour, fan start around 40°C and stay quiet above , newer wheels should have this trigger moved to 50°C.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JirkaMak said:

Hi. Having the same issue with my RS HT.

I'm new into the EUC stuff and so my wheel received some beating before I learned to keep the balance. I started to hear the knock-knock-knock sound after a nasty spin and the wheel vibrates a bit with the sound as well so I can feel it on pedals, similar to your description. Almost as if there would be something like s small rubbery hammer hitting it from inside.

I'm a bit reluctant to start tearing the wheel apart, but I doubt I'd be able to find a repair shop around. So the question I have is - if it's the motor cable (sound plausible), should I open the wheel and try to fix it? Hmm, if it would get disconnected/teared/shorted, that could be nasty. I may need some hints how to do it safely.

Thanks for your help.

Open right panel and take out 3/5 cm of Motor cable and fixit in some Way.... I got same Problem !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Add my RS to the list of wheels with bearing issues. Awesome wheel, very very sad not to be able to ride it for a while. Mileage on the 18xl is going to be off the charts by the time winter is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Add my RS to the list of wheels with bearing issues. Awesome wheel, very very sad not to be able to ride it for a while. Mileage on the 18xl is going to be off the charts by the time winter is over.

Were you riding in rain or snow or did it go bad without riding in bad weather?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver said:

Were you riding in rain or snow or did it go bad without riding in bad weather?

Google "edmonton electric unicycle -37c weather". Terry's been interviewed by our national news media for being the craziest canuck on 1 wheel😉😂. If there's anything wrong with a wheel in extreme conditions, this man will find it!

Damn I'm proud of him👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm becoming skeptical of my RS HS bearings. They're starting to have a small squeaking sound when spinning the wheel by hand. The fan for cooling the board also got destroyed after the wheel fell over on it's right side. Not even a hard fall. Wheel was moving less than 5mph. What a terrible design for placement of the fan. 

I decided to replace the OG fan with a "higher" quality fan like the Noctua quiet series. The Noctua is not powerful enough to cool the RS. ~5cfm for Noctua vs ~20cfm stock fan. Maybe two Noctuas would work but you would have to come up with a mounting bracket... The replacement Noctua also has already broken after testing the wheel out with it. Small drop on the wheels rightside while offroading crushed it. Again, terrible design for fan placement. I'm waiting for a replacement fan from Ewheels. But is it just going to break again????

$2000 wheel with a retrofitted fan for cooling lol 

Broken Fan:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bwoYyOsFmGkGnyltYgxmMWNGsZ3WGALp/view?usp=drivesdk

Noctua Fan replacement:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bwNyhydlbtHGJjGP1sL3haX7QFkf7Imn/view?usp=drivesdk

Edit for more information:

Stock fan: avc dbta0420b2u

Potential replacement: DF124020BH

I was thinking about using two DF1240s (~10cfm) to replace the original fan but it seems like it may be a pointless "upgrade". It might be in best interest to mount the fan elsewhere rather than sandwiched between the pedal hangers and battery. The fan can get twisted by the wheels shell and fail.

 

 

Edited by SorenStarr
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SorenStarr said:

The Noctua is not powerful enough to cool the RS. ~5cfm for Noctua vs ~20cfm stock fan.

I suspect 2 x 5cfm is 10cfm rather than 20cfm so I doubt that will be suitable. I did go to try searching for a better replacement for you but the links you provide with the info aren't public access.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I suspect 2 x 5cfm is 10cfm rather than 20cfm so I doubt that will be suitable. I did go to try searching for a better replacement for you but the links you provide with the info aren't public access.

I changed the access so it should be viewable now. I'm not even going to bother with the 5cfm fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SorenStarr said:

The fan for cooling the board also got destroyed after the wheel fell over on it's right side.

Why is the fan mounted directly on the allen screw of the pedal hanger?

Would it not fit between the two upper screws, then there is 5mm more space between the fan and the side cover?

If it does not fit I would use allen screws with a flat head.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver said:

Were you riding in rain or snow or did it go bad without riding in bad weather?

Yes, we did have a little winter weather come early this year, nothing close to as extreme as what I've done with ACM and XL. We had a gentle winter-conditions (-3c, packed snow on concrete) group ride on a Sunday afternoon and the RS started making a bit of a racket that sync'd up to the wheel rotation speed. I haven't opened it up yet, I'll likely do that in the next few days to see what's up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Why is the fan mounted directly on the allen screw of the pedal hanger?

Seems like a after thought in the designing of this wheel.

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Would it not fit between the two upper screws, then there is 5mm more space between the fan and the side cover?

If it does not fit I would use allen screws with a flat head.

 

I think that Ill definitely find an alternative screw. Seems like a great idea and potentially a fix. Theres not enough space between the two allen screws because the plastic barrier between the battery and hanger area is not straight, it curves in ever so slightly so that the 40mm fan won't fit LOL. Again GREAT design here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...