S18 Suspension Overhaul

Feynman

20 minutes ago, fbhb said:

One other important thing to notice, is that he has re-installed the shock upside down and I assume this is done purposely to achieve much simpler access to the fill valves (can't see any reason why it would affect performance) a very simple Genius solution IMHO!

I just skimmed through a few mtb forums and it seems that mounting this style shock upside down should be fine (ones with a piggyback reservoir might have problems). This seems like it would be a good solution to allow easy filling and easy comparison of shock pressures.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

This seems like it would be a good solution to allow easy filling and easy comparison of shock pressures.

It could also offer a little more clearance above the fender, where owners have complained of the shock sometimes touching causing the tire to rub! (too hard to tell in the video I posted though)

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

One of the Russian S18 suspension overhaul jobs, showing just how easily/smoothly the set up works if built/re-built correctly even with just One Hand! 

One other important thing to notice, is that he has re-installed the shock upside down and I assume this is done purposely to achieve much simpler access to the fill valves (can't see any reason why it would affect performance) a very simple Genius solution IMHO!

Please note: My apologies for the grainy video, not mine of course!

119459662_2720232144866414_8725560195438

A little hard to see in the grainy video, but here you can see that he has also chamfered the battery/pedal frames for better ground clearance!

I would love to have that smooth play on my suspension but is it really need that much?

btw, that battery base cuts really nice..👍👍

the upside down shock doesnt really effective in my opionion, only to make easy access to the valves

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

the upside down shock doesnt really effective in my opionion, only to make easy access to the valves

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble inflating the shock currently. Also, not having a repeatable way that people are inflating the shock means that no one can compare what pressures they are using. Flipping the shock upside down might fix both of these issues (I don't know because I don't have the wheel).

11 hours ago, fbhb said:

One of the Russian S18 suspension overhaul jobs, showing just how easily/smoothly the set up works if built/re-built correctly even with just One Hand! 

One other important thing to notice, is that he has re-installed the shock upside down and I assume this is done purposely to achieve much simpler access to the fill valves (can't see any reason why it would affect performance) a very simple Genius solution IMHO!lease note: My apologies for the grainy video, not mine of ourse!

A little hard to see in the grainy video, but here you can see that he has also chamfered the battery/pedal frames for better ground clearance!

Do we know what they have done to achieve this?

@fbhb This shock should be fine upsidedown. The problem comes with dual piston airshock where air will go much faster then oil. Making the shock not function properly. The second piston might not work properly.

Edited by eve

Imagine what type of suspension wheel we would get if @luk Luk @feynman @Rehab1 and those Russian guys were locked in a room together with an endless box of spare parts and batteries.  I for sure would be the first person to put me money down for a pair.  One for best one for playing in the mud.

Edited by yon
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 6:59 AM, fbhb said:

Yes, there is definitely a misunderstanding here!  What they meant about removing the paint "because the bearing can't move if there is paint" is that when King Song left paint inside the pockets of some linkages, it would have decreased the internal diameter of the bearing pockets.  Subsequently any bearings pressed into a pocket that is basically "Too Tight" a fit will in turn be forced to close up on it's own tolerances and therefore unable to rotate freely!

Looks like everyone is still working hard on their mods. :thumbup: 

@fbhb You’re definitely on to something......either your scenario or what I  discovered on my new suspension arms today ......or a combination of both.

4 of the12 piggy back bearings contained in the arms are not perfectly aligned resulting in a complete disruption of installing the bushing and screw. ( I now have a theory as to why some bearings fell completely apart upon disassembly..:facepalm:)

Each polished bushing should slide effortlessly through both paired bearings or a bind will occur. This happened to me today when I attempted to slide a bushing through a set of bearings with a rubber mallet. :furious:  Both bearings froze up until I was able to wiggled the bushing out by hand.

Tomorrow I’m planning on compressing each of the 4 sets of asymmetrical siamese twins in an effort to realign the bearings. If that doesn’t work I’ll just press out the ugly ones and install new.

Well good luck all and time to Git R Done! :cheers:

• Like 2

More pics for Connection B.  The shaft should be flush with spacer before bolt is added.  Also, a closer look at bushing for pocket B (10a on parts list).  I'm out of time tonight, sorry.  I'll try to add the instructions for the other connections tomorrow.

OutsideCoupleEnd.jpg

Pocket_B_Bushing.jpg

Bushing10a_1.jpg

Edited by Feynman
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, yon said:

Imagine what type of suspension wheel we would get if @luk Luk @feynman @Rehab1 and those Russian guys were locked in a room together with an endless box of spare parts and batteries.  I for sure would be the first person to put me money down for a pair.  One for best one for playing in the mud.

I may end up there once this project is over.;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Feynman said:

More pics for Connection B.  The shaft should be flush with spacer before bolt is added.  Also, a closer look at bearing 10a.  I'm out of time tonight, sorry.  I'll try to add the instructions for the other connections tomorrow.

Terrific job!!!:thumbup: I commend you on your professional, well defined parts and assembly process!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The hardest part of this mod process is keeping it a secret from my wife. She has no idea I bought an S18. :ph34r:

Hey, if questioned, no need to lie, just say you built an S18!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

Suspension now moves way better than it did out of the box.  It's not perfect, but does the job in my situation without disassembling entire S18.  After I enjoy my wheel and have more time on my hands, I'm sure I'll take it completely apart to make more improvements.

Congratulations! :cheers: Nice to hear the S18’s are improving.

Speaking for myself I could have easily lived with my suspension but @Feynman shammed me into rebuilding it.:facepalm:

In my opinion compressed air and lubrication are going to be key for cleaning and maintaining the S18’s suspension.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, manieuc said:

Hey, if questioned, no need to lie, just say you built an S18!

Unfortunately she is very observant but part of your well thought out excuse would be true. ;)

4 hours ago, eve said:

Did you buy a 38RC? :shock2:  @Rehab1

Yes sir! I hope it solves this malalignment issue as well. I’ve methodically assembled each linkage component and evaluated for possible binding. Attaching the shock to the arms has now become an issue as the shock’s threaded nut does not line up with the contralateral suspension arm. 

50353037023_71dbf74b77_b.jpg

I’m not sure if the shock’s attachment point is skewed or the actual suspension arm has a twist. I tried the spare suspension arm and the nut was oblique as well. 

50353776701_f9c6d61322_b.jpg

If the new shock does not resolve the issue I’ll need to heat up the arm and twist it. This is a  regular occurrence at work when designing braces but unfortunately I’ll need to repaint the arms after melting the paint. 

Suppose I could just hammer the suspension system back together until the pieces fit but then I’d have to change my last name to Song.  ;)

I truly love this wheel and the R&D that went into the design. I consider my mods a labor of love.

• Like 3