S18 Suspension Overhaul

Feynman

I've decided to make some custom bushings for my suspension.  Waiting on 3/4" PTFE (teflon) mechanical grade rod to come it.  Have some 18mm thrust bearings I'm going to use on the connections between the two arms.   

2 hours ago, FinRider said:

I’m gonna go play around with it now... I just need to buy another shock pump and elbows for the valves so I can monitor the pressures during the setup& sag tests...

I totally agree. After I bought an elbow for the upper chamber, I have been driving with the pump in my pocket. I like to have fairly big sag, because I consider the outward movement pretty important, too

And the negative chamber seems to follow the rule: Low pressure - a pogo stick; High pressure - smoothes the big pumps, but does not handle those small cobblestone- type bumps

But yes: it pays to try different pressures and drive. And if the need arises, you can just put the block in and check the "official" pressure :P

-Z-

• Like 1

This bearing  was missing in a KIngsong s18, making the suspension stiff? image.png.ea80b9e1fd53d1928fcf6c1331228fd8.png

Im glad we can learn from you  Zwheeler of Finland, I hope Kingsong learns too.  It  could be interesting to find out how many have had  suspension stiffness problems? Others from Finland have fixed smiliar problems in other ways if I remember correctly from the "marathon thread"  about Kingsong s18. Ironicly I have read somewhere that ppl are adding washers not removing them?  " washers added on the central pivot, where yuo just removed that oversized one on the picture, others added one more in order to reduce friction in some way.  ( Ill find the text in a bit)    It seems to me Kingsong have poor quality control  maybe the safe and sane thing to do is to buy Inmotion V11 or wait for Kingsong to wake up, and get some quality control on the suspension system? This is early days. Im not a techie but I need to learn from you guys since Kingsong are too childish to have proper quality control, there has been trouble before I gather?  If my batch 2 s18 wheel gets here in 5-6 weeks time  ---- Ill start with a diagnostic check of  the wheels suspension system it seems.  I dont feel good about that at all really.  Also I prob need to order some spareparts before I ride it ?  Not riding it one day 1  requires more "sisu" than you expect from a Dane.  Thx to you constructive ppl.   Maybe it would be a good idea to Inform KS about wheel # something had errors? Maybe they dont give a toss about that ? 

image.png.bdcb561770465218bacee151210083df.png

Edited by Finn Bjerke

Also from Finland the stiff suspension problem have been adressed in a differenct way: 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/17867-king-song-s18-discussion/page/111/?fbclid=IwAR2t2zLud9W4eoXhVlsefxFuZsyuy2-iP-79fCGcggq3_X1cj10lEp3dJBQ

Edited by Finn Bjerke
correction

Impressive mate. I am very greatfull for this info. Im seriously considering not to buy S18 now. Your info is very important also ita Also very technical, some pix would help me understand better. I get my S18 in 4 weeks or so. First things is diagnosing  not pumping and riding? .....  So far my conclusion is:
This wheel is made by retarded engineers - suspension is not a new idea they bloody well should know better. "a general lack of understanding how suspension works" is just not good enough, the wheel after all is very expensive.  Im notsure I have the patientce to search the globe for alternative spareparts .... But Im happy some other folks find em for me... Really its Kingsongs jiob is it not? 

Digression: Off roading 

The most wonderfull lass lives in Turku, Finland  - we used to like certain types of  friction together and we didnt bloody lube very often.  When the rubber hits the road I want the wheel to be the same way.  My understanding of friction and lube is very primitive I admit that but I cant dis-assemble the wheel in order to check all contact points, I did not do that to the Turku lass either.   So as you can tell in familiar with TLC even in your country but dis-assembling is not for me at least not a "minor tweak"  its a major head ache really. 

Edited by Finn Bjerke

3 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Impressive mate. I am very greatfull for this info. Im seriously considering not to buy S18 now. Your info is very important also ita Also very technical, some pix would help me understand better. I get my S18 in 4 weeks or so. First things is diagnosing  not pumping and riding? .....  So far my conclusion is:
This wheel is made by retarded engineers - suspension is not a new idea they bloody well should know better. "a general lack of understanding how suspension works" is just not good enough, the wheel after all is very expensive.  Im notsure I have the patientce to search the globe for alternative spareparts .... But Im happy some other folks find em for me... Really its Kingsongs jiob is it not? 

Digression: Off roading 

The most wonderfull lass lives in Turku, Finland  - we used to like certain types of  friction together and we didnt bloody lube very often.  When the rubber hits the road I want the wheel to be the same way.  My understanding of friction and lube is very primitive I admit that but I cant dis-assemble the wheel in order to check all contact points, I did not do that to the Turku lass either.   So as you can tell in familiar with TLC even in your country but dis-assembling is not for me at least not a "minor tweak"  its a major head ache really. 

I hear you loud and clear. In all honesty though, all the required ”fixes” that I have had to do was completed with a size 5 allen key... well, actually 2 of them as that is needed to get the pivot joint axel nut thingy out to put the nylon washer in between the pivot arms. And lube is your friend :) so while you are at the hardware store to get your washers, pick up a can of teflon lubricant. 

now getting to the other bearings on the pivot arm will be more challenging, although anyone buying an ”early batch” EUC should be prepared to do some reverse engineering, fixing, modding, hot rodding, whatever you wanna call it. After all, we are dealing with chinese designed and assembled products here and they are not really known for their quality workmanship... if you are afraid to get your hands dirty, then stick to a more mature wheel for a while until the suspension wheels have been around for a while... it seems to take a year or so for the kinks to get worked out at the factory.

• Like 2

I'm guessing they used the washer on the outsides of the middle arm connections to put the shear force on more area of the arm.  The lip holding the bearings in the out arm is about 2.3mm thick (Pocket A in pic), so any force along the bolt axis on this connection is on that small lip.  That said, I don't know how much force is to be expected here since the assembly is rigid and shouldn't twist much at all.

Also, I think that raised ring on 'D' below is meant to be a spacer of sorts.  I'm thinking of grinding this off to use a proper low-friction spacer. This raised ring is 1.45mm heigh.

labeledLinkage.jpg

Edited by Feynman
Added new thought
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Any guarantee left now? 

Skærmbillede fra 2020-08-31 22-04-42.png

I cant wait to get to this stage in tearing my wheel down. Just need to have a weekend with rain so that i am not tempted to go riding instead of tearing into the s18....

Maybe this will help some people get their suspensions back together.  

The A -> D connection has a total of 4 bearings and that large washer on the outer arm.  Connections C has dual bearings. B has a single bearing.   Pocket D has a raised lip on the top to act as a spacer.  I'm going to grind this off.  

RightLinkageFit.jpg

Edited by Feynman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Feynman said:

The A -> D connection has a total of 4 bearings and that large washer on the outer arm.  Connections C has dual bearings. B has a single bearing.   Pocket D has a raised lip on the top to act as a spacer.  I'm going to grind this off.  

Oh geez, looks like I misunderstood what you meant before when you said there were 2 bearings in each pocket. So there are 4 bearings total in that joint! Now what StuartL says makes sense, and I agree with him. Still, they could've done away one of those pockets on each side and it would work fine while eliminating the need for 4 extra bearings. I'm probably not gonna bother trying to size up some bushings and will just use the stock bearings. I wouldn't throw away that big washer on the outside though. It can serve as a shield against rocks or debris, since there is a very vulnerable rubber seal exposed. It just needs to be spaced out so that it's not scraping the outer pivot. 

Here's one of the bushings I'm going to use in pocket 'A'.  It will extend 2mm into pocket D and protect the 18mm thrust bearing that will be between the two bushings here.  That's a render from Fusion360 btw, bushing will be made of PTFE.  I'm going to file down the raised lip around pocket D - the bushing will create the necessary space between the parts.

S18_Bushing_3Ato4D v2.png

Edited by Feynman
  • Like 1

Overhaul ?
If my wheel is not functional out of the box after pumping it up here and there  - Ill just bloddy return it ?  Ill buy the other suspension wheel instead ?  So what is the test of rigid suspension after åpumping the s18 here and there ? Is all this fixing really needed on a new batch 2 wheel?

Edited by Finn Bjerke

1 minute ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Overhaul ?
If my wheel is not functional out of the box after pumping it up here and there  - Ill just bloddy return it ?  Ill buy the other suspension wheel instead ?  So what is the test of rigid suspension after åpumping the s18 here and there ?

Mine actually worked ok out of the box.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

$843 quote for custom PTFE bushings. :efef895ddd:  Yeah, might be buying a lathe after all.  Or I could just drill out my PTFE rod with the drill press and live with less-sexy custom bushings.  

Drilling does not give you a clean enough hole for bushing purposes. You will want to drill undersized and then use a properly sized reamer. It's also kinda difficult to get the hole perfectly centered without a guide. It's really a job for a lathe...

Edited by BFE Duke

Just now, BFE Duke said:

Drilling does not give you a clean enough hole for bushing purposes. You will want to drill undersized and then use a properly sized reamer. 

I'm sure you're right.  I'm thinking the bolt coupler axles will wear the teflon holes nice and smooth, though.