S18 Suspension Overhaul

Feynman

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Ya but think of all the aggression you got off your chest. ;)

True. But I got one of my round couplers stuck permanently in my 7/16 socket trying to pound it out of a bushing that was too tight :efee8c29ce:.  

Edited by Feynman
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Feynman said:

I'm close.  Going to print one more revision of the B Pocket bushing, then I'm done.  

Awesome! It will be nice to see your wheel back in action! Long road and you’ve done a fantastic job! Thanks for allowing me to tag along! 

44 minutes ago, Feynman said:

You added grease nipples?!?  That's bad ass!

I look at the S18’s suspension as a piece of machinery so lubrication in hard to reach areas to me is important. 

• Like 2

Hi, I just received my fixed S18. The wheel came in the first batch and after about 70km the mainboard gone. I sent it to seller then and they replaced the mainboard and  improved the suspension as well. So this is how it looks and works.

Video: Suspension smoothness 

20200922_115536.jpg

20200922_122155.jpg

20200922_122336.jpg

20200922_122340.jpg

20200922_122343.jpg

20200922_122633.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Marek Fucila said:

Hi, I just received my fixed S18. The wheel came in the first batch and after about 70km the mainboard gone. I sent it to seller then and they replaced the mainboard and  improved the suspension as well. So this is how it looks and works.

Video: Suspension smoothness 

20200922_122155.jpg

20200922_122340.jpg

Those sure look like bushings to me.  :D  Not that we can see much from the outside.

6 hours ago, Feynman said:

Those sure look like bushings to me.  :D  Not that we can see much from the outside.

I definitely Do Not think bushings have been used here personally!  Note that spring washers have been put back under the heads of the bolts in at least 3 (6 total) of the visible pivot points. 

My guess is that the original bearings are still in situ, and then flat washers/spacers have been used between the bearings and the spring/lock washer/head of the bolt! 

I really would Not have expected to see spring lock washers being re-used in a suspension upgrade, but if they are indeed locking against a flat washer that is much more likely/safer than directly up against a bushing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

I definitely Do Not think bushings have been used here personally!  Note that spring washers have been put back under the heads of the bolts in at least 3 (6 total) of the visible pivot points. 

My guess is that the original bearings are still in situ, and then flat washers/spacers have been used between the bearings and the spring/lock washer/head of the bolt! 

I really would Not have expected to see spring lock washers being re-used in a suspension upgrade, but if they are indeed locking against a flat washer that is much more likely/safer than directly up against a bushing!

True, that could be an internal flat washer.  All I can say is that it doesn't look like the blue plastic/rubber seals on the original bearings.  If it IS a flat washer they've stuck in there, it's likely defeating any bearing it's sitting next to by binding both races to it.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 080127.png

Edited by Feynman

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 10:32 AM, Feynman said:

Finally reassembling.  I went with 'Colonial Red'

FinalRight.jpg

Somehow I missed your update. Sorry. Very nice! Do you have a photo of your wheel fully completed? 

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Somehow I missed your update. Sorry. Very nice! Do you have a photo of your wheel fully completed? 

I've been so busy with work that I haven't had a chance to get it all back together yet.  :(  Hopefully this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...