Darknessbot Smart Alarms

I have been using Darknessbot for quite some time now and I am really enjoying the recent update with the smart alarms as well as the new added alarms for temperature amongst others.

The smart alarms match the speed curve of Gotway wheels quite nicely so one can use the alarm as an addition or high ceiling to the 5 beeps.
The problem with the 5 beeps on Gotway is that they are at 80%. I would have preferred 90.
If I am filling a glass with water and I fill it to 80% I will surely fill it to 90% without thinking too much about it... as long as the circumstances allow it.
Now if said glass of water is on a brand new MacBook Pro I might be a bit more careful... which I am when I ride anyway.
Now added to that if there are strong winds while I am pouring water and also bumpy terrain and an earthquake I will probably stop pouring water and try to take some out instead.

So... if we look at the math and the speed numbers (speed reduction thread anyone?).

For the MSX we can use 55kmh.
For the Nik+ we can use 64kmh.
For the MSP C38 I would use 58kmh.
For the MSP C30 I would use 69kmh.
For for Tesla I would use 50kmh.

If we multiply the above numbers by 0.8 we get the 5 beeps bottom speed at 0% battery (more or less).
If we multiply the above numbers by 1.25 we get the riding cutoff speed ignoring increased wind resistance.
If we instead multiply them by 1.1 we get a realistic safe riding speed which is above the beeps but below the "cutoff". Which on Gotway is not a hard cutoff but a pedal dip. Still.. at those speeds and with that much intent it will not be an easy thing to recover from and we will most likely fall off the front.

The audio alarms play nicely through an external speaker. It is nice to have 5 beeps and then an upper limit alarm so we know when to really dial it back a bit. And not blindly ride the 5 beeps because 5 beeps at 80% sounds the same as 5 beeps at 99.8%. And 5 beeps at 81% are pretty much rideable forever.

A very nice update which adds safety to our Gotway wheels!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...