Battery charging while braking or downhill?

Paulandjacquelyn

It's called regenerative braking, the energy "stored" in the motion of the motor, whether it's braking or keeping speed steady going downhill, is used to recharge the batteries during the braking. It's not 100% effective, ie. some of the energy is always lost, but it does help you get better mileage on the wheel. Based on what I know, it is the only way of braking used in our wheels (at least currently), as there are no mechanical brakes and the braking energy can be quite high (like over 1000W momentarily), making it difficult to burn it off in a resistor or such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_brake

2 minutes ago, faipassa said:

I thought Solowheel was the only brand which is implementing this technology on their wheels....9B do it as well ?

I think all the wheels do it. You have to dissipate the energy during braking somewhere, and due to the large power, you would need a rather large power resistor for dissipating it as heat, so it seems they all dump it into the batteries.

3 minutes ago, esaj said:

I think all the wheels do it. You have to dissipate the energy during braking somewhere, and due to the large power, you would need a rather large power resistor for dissipating it as heat, so it seems they all dump it into the batteries.

Make sense. Cool! Very good news actually. You make my day :)

The Ninebot definately uses regenerative braking.  It is very important to know that IF the battery is fully charged and IF you start your ride by riding downhill that the regenerative electrical charge has nowhere to go and the Ninebot will most likely turn into freewheel mode resulting in the rider tumbling.  So with a fully charged battery it is best to burn off some electrical charge before riding down inclines.  

4 hours ago, Gerald Kealakai said:

The Ninebot definately uses regenerative braking.  It is very important to know that IF the battery is fully charged and IF you start your ride by riding downhill that the regenerative electrical charge has nowhere to go and the Ninebot will most likely turn into freewheel mode resulting in the rider tumbling.  So with a fully charged battery it is best to burn off some electrical charge before riding down inclines.  

Now i remember where i read it..there was a post about someone having this problem because his house was on hill.  

23 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:
On 2015-11-30, 9:51:37, Gerald Kealakai said:

Now i remember where i read it..there was a post about someone having this problem because his house was on hill.  

I found out about this "not riding downhill with a full charge thing" on my Boasted Board (electric skateboard). 

With the Boosted Board, you can use the handheld rheostat to modulate the speed or modulate the regenerative braking. 

One day I started out with a full charge and was braking on a downhill section towards a major intersection, and the Boosted Board beeped a couple of times then stopped the friction of the regeneration and immediately went into freewheel mode.  That was exciting.

later, g.

9 hours ago, Gerald Kealakai said:

I found out about this "not riding downhill with a full charge thing" on my Boasted Board (electric skateboard). 

With the Boosted Board, you can use the handheld rheostat to modulate the speed or modulate the regenerative braking. 

One day I started out with a full charge and was braking on a downhill section towards a major intersection, and the Boosted Board beeped a couple of times then stopped the friction of the regeneration and immediately went into freewheel mode.  That was exciting.

later, g.

Good it went into freewheel mode. The other downside will be that the battery becomes overcharged and overheats burning it together with the control board and/or the motor.

I think all electric motors have this, even in electric cars.

Was out with my EU group in Hong Kong and we took a bus up a Mountain and decided to ride down it.  This was an unplanned route, as everyone came out fully charged everyone kept getting overcharge warnings on their EUs.  So instead of a nice downhill ride to the bottom.  Every 5-10 minutes we had to ride back up a little to use up some of the battery power.  Took ages getting down that mountain.

All this going down hill then spending power again to go uphill caused everyones electric engines to heat up really fast.  To the point that if you poured water over the metal parts of the wheel it sizzled.

On 12/1/2015, 11:13:35, Chuts said:

All this going down hill then spending power again to go uphill caused everyones electric engines to heat up really fast.  To the point that if you poured water over the metal parts of the wheel it sizzled.

Should have brought some eggs and made Omelettes since the ride was so long.

Archived