Cops read me the riot act!!

John Montpetit

Meanwhile in Kyoto, Japan I have put 700 km on my 18XL and was really getting into the swing of it but today the hammer came down. Two very serious plainclothes cops came to my house and told me that riding my wheel was now impossible. Eucs are not allowed in Japan and if they got anymore reports from the citizens that I was riding my wheel on city streets that would haul me down to the police station. What they would do at the police station they did not say. Scare tactics? Just bullshit? I think a little of both. My initial reaction was to see a lawyer and I might still do that. I think I’ll just let this sit for a few days until I get a little more time to think it over. Any thought from other riders in Japan would be helpful. John

• Like 2

Japanese hate two things: foreigners and new stuff. You got them both. Of course they will hammer you ! :D

A famous saying in the Japan: the nail stuck out will get the hammer. Seems now you are the "nail" which sticks out too much.

I am not a Japanese and nor did I live in Japan. So don't listen to my advice: put your wheel away and be the normal Japanese. Notice why everyone behaves like a sheep there? Because the ones with power will punish the one for behaving differently. And the punishment can be very severe. Don't bother with the law. This is their culture.

• Like 2

Wow, they came to your door even? I am so blessed to live where I do. Getting a Lawyer could help, but if you are in fact a foreigner, I'd say you are pissing away your time and money. If they bothered to call on you about it, I'd say they arent just trying to scare you. I don't know jack shit about other cultures, but cops around here dont bother with fear unless they can back it up with locking you up. Good luck, but it sounds to me like you may start looking into other similar (but legal) activities. You aint in Kansas anymore toto, and the natives don't like you. Whoever is snitching you out, will do it again. With the way everyone has evil cellphones and cameras everywhere, don't think for a second that you can get away with it for long without being caught. They are definitely waiting and watching for you. Its not like the euc is uber discreet as it is.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Sad that people dont have anything better to do with their life than complain of EUCs, but being illegal there is not much you can do. I guess you can be happy they didn't confiscate it and fine you.. Really too bad but as Shanes said, you'll probably have to find something else to drive around on. Like a legally noisy and polluting scooter. Win Win :efeee20b79:

• Like 2

Dystopian and bleak. The jack-booted state brown-shirts arriving at your door due to reports of 'upsetting the social order' or whatever.

In case you are wondering, at the police station you'll be asked to not only prove that 2+2=5, but that you believe 2+2=5; next, you'll be seated in front of 4 bright lights and they will demand you say there are 5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 1:21 AM, Philip W said:

Japanese hate two things: foreigners and new stuff.

Some people might call this a racist‘s remark, at least I find it insensitive and a little offending. Isn’t it an empty stereotype or an alternative fact of the kind some Americans like to propagate in these days of the orange utan*.

Fact is: Japanese in general do not hate foreigners; not even those who repeatedly dropped nuclear ☢️ devices on them partly for experimental purposes.
And most Japanese really love ❤️ and embrace all kinds of new stuff, as long as it is not dropped upon this country from high altitudes. 😢 

* “Orange Utan” is a German Band. Their last release, the concept album “katastrophal” from 2018, tells of social fault lines between reality and dream.

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Some people might call this a racist‘s remark, at least I find it insensitive and a little offending. Isn’t it an empty stereotype or an alternative fact of the kind some Americans like to propagate in these days of the orange utan*.

Oh yeah, it is insensitive and even racist. So maybe I should have said it in a better way. Well, but then could you explain why policemen in Kyoto did things like that? I hope you don't need to repeat my points.

Also, referring to American people with nuclear bomb dropping, is also not fair to them, am I right?

Edited by Philip W
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:22 AM, Philip W said:

Oh yeah, it is insensitive and even racist. So maybe I should have said it in a better way. Well, but then could you explain why policemen in Kyoto did things like that? I hope you don't need to repeat my points.

Also, referring to American people with nuclear bomb dropping, is also not fair to them, am I right?

Police everywhere do "things like that". If there's a complaint made with an address attached, they will pay a visit. It's how policing works. Making out that it is some kind of special authoritarian Japanese thing is pure ignorance.

And you don't get to whine about getting some backlash when you started with the offensive stereotyping. You want to give it out, you better be prepared to take it.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:53 PM, John Montpetit said:

Meanwhile in Kyoto, Japan I have put 700 km on my 18XL and was really getting into the swing of it but today the hammer came down. Two very serious plainclothes cops came to my house and told me that riding my wheel was now impossible. Eucs are not allowed in Japan and if they got anymore reports from the citizens that I was riding my wheel on city streets that would haul me down to the police station. What they would do at the police station they did not say. Scare tactics? Just bullshit? I think a little of both. My initial reaction was to see a lawyer and I might still do that. I think I’ll just let this sit for a few days until I get a little more time to think it over. Any thought from other riders in Japan would be helpful. John

This sounds like an absolutely horrible place to live.

See the lawyer and fight back if it is at all possible, not just for you, but for the entire EUC community. Keep us updated.

On 9/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, John Montpetit said:

Hey ... wait a minute ... this is about my Kingsong 18XL. Nuclear bombs ???

I was just opposing the remarks of @Philip W that Japanese hate two things: foreigners and new stuff. And I am sure the police doesn’t give you a hard time because you are foreigner. What happened to you would have happened to any Japanese in the same situation, which I unfortunately have not enough information to really commend about it. But I know for sure, that in Germany where riding EUCs on public roads is as illegal as in Japan, since we have a similar law system, you would have much more problems than in Japan.

I am riding EUC since many years in Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Shiga) and Kanto (around Mount Fuji) and I am riding with foreigners as well. I never had any problems with the police so far. But I am aware that what I do is illegal and if they wanted to stop me they easily could. So let’s just say, you had really bad luck! Try to be cooperative, say you are sorry, and it should be alright. The priority of the Japanese police is to serve not to bully or harass people (foreigners or locals). But if some guy complaint about your riding, unfortunately they are forced to act upon any complaint. I believe, that may have happened in your situation.

We do pretty bold and wild things in Osaka and Kyoto and Kobe. See for yourself:

This is in Kyoto near the Kamogawa (river)

16212D62-AE5C-477A-A4EF-DBB913D86C2B.jpeg

Edited by Toshio Uemura