Key-Ignition Mod

csmyers

Ok, as far as modifications go, this is really simple. I haven't tried it, but I was wondering if anyone else had.

Basically, it appears that if you pick up one of these (link below too), you could just replace the on/off button with a keyed ignition. A nice drill and some silicone glue/sealant should be enough to make it look nice. Depending on your unicycle you might have to break off that connector on the end of this, but that's it if you wanted a little more security.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Universal-Motorcycle-Ignition-Switch-Key-For-Honda-for-Yamaha-for-Kawasaki-for-Suzuki-KTM/32221673187.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.1.yAFOnQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

1pcs-Universal-Motorcycle-Ignition-Switch-Key-For-Honda-for-Yamaha-for-Kawasaki-for-Suzuki-KTM.jpg

I still dont get it.  Is it a child protection or a thief protection? 

A thief will walk away with the wheel, he will not try to ride it until such time that a specialized ewheel thief emerges whose stealing style is riding the wheels he steals.

as a kid protection this will work, but like Coliestin said, you dont want to have to use the key every time you turn off and on. This can get really annoying in front of subway steps, when the crowd is waiting for you to move and you are there messing with the key to make your wheel roll after carying it and vice versa.

perhaps we need a mechanism that only requires u locking after you engage it. Like a locking code. So you can turn off and on all you want, but once you lock it ( at end of your trip for example) it requires unlocking to start again

21 hours ago, Cloud said:

perhaps we need a mechanism that only requires u locking after you engage it. Like a locking code. So you can turn off and on all you want, but once you lock it ( at end of your trip for example) it requires unlocking to start again

Simple: place the lock in series with the power button. When it's unlocked, the power button can be used to turn the wheel on and off. When it's locked (no connection over the lock), the power button won't do anything.

Edit: BTW, this won't actually work like that at least with Firewheels... for some reason, the logic of the power button is that when there's NO connection between the button leads, the wheel will turn on :P  Or it would work, but in the opposite than usually...

My concern would be accidentally breaking off the key on a fall or from a leg hitting it.  Otherwise, not a bad idea to keep kids from pressing the button.  You know kids, they press ALL buttons... ;)  In Series like @esaj mentions would work well.

• 3 months later...

Archived