Ninebot Generic ripoff?

csmyers

In searching AliExpress I chanced upon this unicycle, which appears to be a generic Ninebot clone: AliExpress link

As far as generics go, this is one of the best looking. Has plenty of LED lights and even claims to have an app.

Most interesting to me are the associated remote (for locking/unlocking?) and the two easy-access panels.

Does anyone have any more information on this? Maybe generics are getting more sophisticated? No specs are listed.

Here's a couple photos:

HTB1dzySJXXXXXbxaXXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg

HTB1ikO.JXXXXXbTXpXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg

Why buy a generic 9B1copy, when you can have a Captain America 9B1 copy! 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Intelligent-self-balancing-electric-vehicle-electric-unicycle-Captain-America-intelligent-self-balancing-unicycle-car/32519506553.html

Get yours now, before the rush after next Capt. America movie!  Capt America battles evil villains like Kid Tiltback, The BMS gang, and Captain Firmware 1.2.9! 

Cheers,

Jim

Yap, looks like the one I bought. Bought mine from VicTech on Alibaba.  The remote has A, B ,C, D buttons for headlight,  light control and horn.   I was told by Vicky not to press D it will mess with the Wheel!?!?

Mine is a 16 inch, but I've seen  some with same photo claim 14 inch.  

It does have high speed cut out!  We don't push it fast or run on low battery and haven't had trouble since. The App isn't very good, and isn't in English either.  Bought mine for a little over $300 USD including shipping.

I see so many differences on this wheel that I wouldn't even think it were trying to be a Ninebot.  This looks like a "fat" type of body where there is no "box" on top any longer and the whole body is flush (it looks like the Dolphin F-wheel type).  The red pad is just a pad - in contrast the Ninebot gray pad looks like a box and is actually a box with the battery inside it, etc.  I don't think Ninebot body is all that fat because the gray pads sticks out farther - so its defining shape is "round with box."  This clone is the fat round type with no apparent box - there are a bunch of these types recently (and not so recently come to think of it).

Other bits different - the pedals look like the type without magnets, also the tire opening show much more tread exposed in front.  One more observation, the stator casing looks like it's not too fat considering it fits on that stand but I could be wrong.  (MCM4 stator for example won't fit on that stand I believe - not know about Ninebot stator though).

2 hours ago, Colestien said:

Yap, looks like the one I bought. Bought mine from VicTech on Alibaba.  The remote has A, B ,C, D buttons for headlight,  traffic horn, and light control.  I was told by Vicky not to press D it will mess with the Wheel!?!?

Mine is a 16 inch, but I've seen  some with same photo claim 14 inch.  

It does have high speed cut out!  We don't push it fast or run on low battery and haven't had trouble since. The App isn't very good, and isn't in English either.  Bought mine for a little over $300 USD including shipping.

Huh. Do you have any idea what those panels access?

42 minutes ago, castShadow said:

I see so many differences on this wheel that I wouldn't even think it were trying to be a Ninebot.  This looks like a "fat" type of body where there is no "box" on top any longer and the whole body is flush (it looks like the Dolphin F-wheel type).  The red pad is just a pad - in contrast the Ninebot gray pad looks like a box and is actually a box with the battery inside it, etc.  I don't think Ninebot body is all that fat because the gray pads sticks out farther - so its defining shape is "round with box."  This clone is the fat round type with no apparent box - there are a bunch of these types recently (and not so recently come to think of it).

Other bits different - the pedals look like the type without magnets, also the tire opening show much more tread exposed in front.  One more observation, the stator casing looks like it's not too fat considering it fits on that stand but I could be wrong.  (MCM4 stator for example won't fit on that stand I believe - not know about Ninebot stator though).

Good observations! I know it doesn't look too much like a Ninebot but there is an obvious attempt. Of course it's difficult to design a good clone when you don't have the big Ninebot budget (or the legendary Engineer). :D 

10 minutes ago, Colestien said:

And of course there is no where I can get the info on how to use it either.

No, the instructions that came with the Hoverboard were something like.

Button 1: Press mod

Button 2: Press confirg

Button 3: Difference

I ended up looking to YouTube for others that had figured it out.

Personally, I would have pushed "D" by now, but that's just me... ;)  I'm not recommending you do so as I don't want you to break anything.

Someone from my Hong Kong group rides one of these.  Not tried it myself but looked like a solid machine when watching the guy ride it.  Seemed faster than the Ninebot from the group or the guy with the Ninebot wasn't pushing the speed.

Will likely have the same over speed cutoffs and over leaning torque problems like all EUs.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Salvatore Patrone said:

@Colestien Hi. I just picked one of these up and for the life of me I can’t find the right app!!  Can you PM a link or the app name? 

I’m on iOS btw

Welcome to the forum.

may I ask that before replying to a thread that hasn’t been touched in nearly three years you at least take a look at the profile of the user you are questioning. @Colestien last logged in to this forum 28 months ago, so you are not likely to get a reply. 

If the EUC you bought truly is one of these then it also is likely to be nearly 3 years old and very unlikely to be actively supported any more by its manufacturer so the odds of an App being available - particularly for IOS are, I suspect, tiny. If you really need an App (to do what exactly?) then you might want to see if one of the generic EUC Apps like Wheellog or DarknessBot (which is available on the Apple App Store) work? Before you bother to do that I would recommend just turning it on and seeing if it has a Bluetooth connection that you can see on your phone - if not it doesn’t support any App. (If it also has speakers in it so can play music - you should see two Bluetooth connections - they are always separate functions)

However, if you have bought an old wheel then I’d be more concerned about battery health, they need to be looked after carefully to work well (or at all) after 3 years.

But I did get a reply from you, see how forums work?
Anywho, my EUC appears to be new, and purchased from the manufacturer, and of course has bluetooth connectivity. I'm a rationalist and, beyond thinking I can master riding this device, am not prone to wishful thinking. I wanted the true app that tracked the battery and had the self-diagnostics and lock-out features, not just ride tracking. 

They did reply to me and sent me a link to the companion app. There was only Android app available, so I bought a prepaid cheapie phone to use as a dashboard. 
Oddly, the link to the proper app was only available on the Chinese language version of the site, not on the English. Since they're still selling them, I'll include the instructions in case anyone else has this problem.

My EUC is from Daibot and is a 16" Icewheel W5

HTB1sN5ODuSSBuNjy0Flq6zBpVXan.jpg

Archived