Battery Explosion?

Chuts

8 hours ago, Maxime said:

Bikes have no place to put them, so they install a container and aluminium seems a good choice, solid, shock resistant and esthetically correct.:)

But I think that no case will bear a Li-Ion fire which produces a large amount of heat and gazes often called "explosion" which usually communicates to other battery element. In fact, when it burns, the STEEL box of the element is not solid enough:wacko: !

What is more, a bag or box will lower the cooling of batteries which is the main danger and cause for the burn.:(

They seem to have some success with RC lipo batteries, those seem to explode more often than 18650 based packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKNAc79AZg

They at least buy you some time and prevent flames escaping. I don't know how much of an issue heat would be if you were to cover EUC packs in these fabrics.

Speaking of bad Li-Po -cells, I just fished this out from an old Chinese Nokia-clone (it's not really a Nokia-battery):

5yc2vWs.jpg

Not so clearly seen on the picture, but the cell has bloated... it's measuring 0V, so it's probably completely dead (the phone's been in a drawer for quite some years), luckily it never blew up or vented. Still, I thought I'd better go put it in a bucket of sand in the garage until I can take it into recycling ;)

28 minutes ago, esaj said:

Speaking of bad Li-Po -cells, I just fished this out from an old Chinese Nokia-clone (it's not really a Nokia-battery):

5yc2vWs.jpg

Not so clearly seen on the picture, but the cell has bloated... it's measuring 0V, so it's probably completely dead (the phone's been in a drawer for quite some years), luckily it never blew up or vented. Still, I thought I'd better go put it in a bucket of sand in the garage until I can take it into recycling ;)

didn't I see a  post earlier saying that the battery of the IPS 340wh is a LI-PO one ?

I don't know to think :)

• 2 years later...

Long time ago since anyone wrote in the thread. What has happened in the last three years? Any new EUC exploding storys? The hoverboards are exploding all the time causing house fire etc etc...but what about the EUC? I saw the clip in the basement with that guy when it exploded while he was riding it. But I can not find anything more.

I have the MCM4 680wh and it is from 2015. I think it is using two Li-Ion (which is the safer one compared to Li-Po?) batteries, am I right?

I would like to hear about more cases. Would it help putting a metal or rubber box over the euc while you are gone?

Archived