Inmotion V11 control board and cabling details & closeups

mrelwood

2 hours ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

I don't see any metal heatsink between the mosfets and the PCB.

The end of the metal strip can be seen peeking at the right of the row of mosfets in the last photo.

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

I was riding up a very steep, probably a horse track that was wood chips on top of soft ground. I expected the tire to start  skidding at any moment. I got maybe past 10 meters when the wheel just switched off, and no longer turned on. Opened it up in the woods to unplug the battery cables, but it didn’t help. So we walked.

Mosfets measure fine, and beyond the burnt capacitor legs there are no visible issues. The wheel just doesn’t boot up. Seems to charge ok though. There really isn’t anything else to tell, or show pics about.

Just got a message from DHL: The board is expected to be delivered already on Monday! I can’t even describe how relieved I am! Perhaps no killing will take place after all. :lol:

Happy to hear that you'll be back up and operational so soon! :)

Do you think think the failure is acceptable in this case? It seems sub-optimal to me, as I would much prefer (expect?) some type of warning and/or graceful shutdown that does not blow a board. You're handling this much better than I would for a wheel less than a week old.

How disappointing for a new wheel .how lucky for u that u have the knowledge and ability to diagnose and fix it.The majority of users dont have this and would have to ship it back.Did u have to argue with Inmotion or with ur seller to get the new board?If u were thrashing the beast up a hill and it burnt out,isnt it ur fault and not covered under warranty? Surely there has to be more protection built in to these newer wheels that makes them shut-down before they burn out?  If i never opened a wheel and could just ride without a wheel fault i would be so happy! Hope u get back on the road soon!

That is what I like to call applied logic to a sad situation. :thumbup:

I totally agree that no matter how you feel about it. Develling on it will not fix it. 

Understanding what happen can help so it doesn't happen again, but sometimes there is no way to know no matter how much we want to. 

I hope to see more quality contect from you soon. :popcorn:

I will be riding tomorrow to hospital then mid morning time the weathergods decided to punish me for riding g when you couldn't....for now it looks like a week. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Glad to hear that you got a rapid reply and action from Inmotion. 

Will you be shipping the board back to Inmotion for diagnostic? 

I know if it was my company, I would be very interested to find out more details on what was the cause. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The end of the metal strip can be seen peeking at the right of the row of mosfets in the last photo.

I see tin plating/solder of the PCB trace. I see something small on that trace which might be an electrical conductor to increase the capacity of trace. 

That capacitor lead that opened at the bend might have been knicked or bent out of shape causing an increase in resistance due to thinning and therefore heated and vaporized. Is that all that broke? Did you try and connect the leads to see if it fixed the problem?

16 hours ago, onizukagto said:

Will you be shipping the board back to Inmotion for diagnostic? 

I know if it was my company, I would be very interested to find out more details on what was the cause. 

I would too, but they didn’t yet express interest in doing so. I was planning to ask again though.

15 hours ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

I see tin plating/solder of the PCB trace.

I will take a close up on the strip when I replace the board on Monday.

Did you try and connect the leads to see if it fixed the problem?

Sure did, no change. They are responsible for delivering just the motor power transients after all, so as IM said the wheel should boot up even without them.

• Like 2

@mrelwood -  is there a charging interruptor on the board?
(I see where the charging port input and two pack charging outputs plug in...)

What's this?

ACtC-3co05i7nMimYrc-bT3_pOFLwJseMNbBFfR7

Thx

<edit> I think there's no interruptor and the board is simply an interconnect, based on your backside pic...
V11-board-2b-lzn.jpg

Perhaps not so hard to modify the harness to permit 5A-per-pack charging, with some new splices outside the board enclosure, muahaha

Edited by RagingGrandpa

On 8/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, Marty Backe said:

You sound like a Gotway owner :D  Someone who doesn't trust their new wheel and tears it apart to inspect and rebuild it to their standards.

Certainly not something I would expect to read about regards to an Inmotion owner.

Personally I would never buy a wheel where I felt that I needed to do what you are planning on doing. There are some Gotway owners that do this and I don't agree with them either.

Hi Marty.

I’m new to the forum.  I was wondering how you post images.  I’m racking my brain and haven’t been able to figure it out.

Thanks.

Mate from Virginia.

Ride safe🙏

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mate from Virginia said:

Hi Marty.

I’m new to the forum.  I was wondering how you post images.  I’m racking my brain and haven’t been able to figure it out.

Thanks.

Mate from Virginia.

Ride safe🙏

You can post links in you messages. It will then load the picture so you can see automatically. But it is not all sharing services that works. 

Personality I use flicker. 

You can upload to forum, but this generates more server need for space and traffic so to keep cost down there is a limitation for each member. Both on picture size and total space for each member. 

I hope with helps otherwise you see more under forum rules and of you search on the forum you can find relies to similar questions. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

New photos: Control board with a few descriptions, and the BMS.

@mrelwood: Thanks for those photos.  The V10 board looks like it has a conformal waterproof coating but those photos make it look like the V11 doesn't.  Can you confirm?

Just now, StuartL said:

@mrelwood: Thanks for those photos.  The V10 board looks like it has a conformal waterproof coating but those photos make it look like the V11 doesn't.  Can you confirm?

It does have a coating.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

New photos: Control board with a few descriptions, and the BMS.
https://ibb.co/1rr5DzK

Wow.

Interruptor FETs on the mainboard, in the left pack, and in the right pack.
Fuses on the mainboard, in the left pack, and in the right pack.
If you overload the mainboard (shorted motor leads, etc), troubleshooting and repair might get tricky...

These folks are making a real effort to stay out of the smoking wheel threads!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

These folks are making a real effort to stay out of the smoking wheel threads!

The Inmotion attitude seems to be very different to other manufacturers and it's an approach I personally appreciate.  Rather than allowing you to ride to the limit the wheel gently (or sometimes aggressively) restricts you.  I personally like that the wheel won't let me ride to the limit of its capabilities and forces me to slow down if it's at risk of overheating/overloaded.  I'd rather buy a new mainboard than a new face :D

I love the cautious approach to product design...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Chris Payne said:

Hi

Has any one changed the control board on an Inmotion V11 before, if so, how did it go, because my control board has failed and I've been sent a new one, but having problems fitting it, can anyone help?

I replaced mine, but didn’t shoot videos on the process. What kind of problems are you having with the fitting?

11 hours ago, Chris Payne said:

Hi

Has any one changed the control board on an Inmotion V11 before, if so, how did it go, because my control board has failed and I've been sent a new one, but having problems fitting it, can anyone help?

I think the contact point that shipped the control board should be able to help (you post do not give info about version so it could be a new design). 

Or I think you should ask Liam or Bosco at Inmotion on their telegram channel or in PM. 

Now I am not sure if this article helps but it list a new control board version to earlier bat he's. (I think this should be translated if not please bear with me) 

https://ywshilhc6djimomsvp5ar4iafi-adwhj77lcyoafdy-ecodrift-ru.translate.goog/2020/12/08/inmotion-v11-izmeneniya-v-dekabrskoj-partii/

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, mrelwood said:

There are two small green LEDs on the board, one solid(ish), one blinking. Funny thing is, when I press the power button for 20-30 seconds (complete shutdown), the LEDs do turn off. Another press and they’re back. But the device doesn’t boot, or show up in the app.

All the power FETs measure fine, batteries are fine, and removing individual peripherals (rear light, lift switch) doesn’t help.

When the board failed, it burned through the positive leg on both large electrolytics. But the wheel should boot even without the caps, so soldering them back didn’t help either.

I’m of course getting a new board from Inmotion, but the wait for the shipping is going to kill me. Or make me kill someone.

I just had a failure and also found both legs of my 470uf 100V caps blown. My first though was also to de-solder them from the board and replace them. But sounds like you tried that and it did not work for you. Did replacing the entire controller resolve your issue? 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:42 PM, Ambrovious said:

Did replacing the entire controller resolve your issue? 

Yes it did. Inmotion refers to the large main board I received and replaced as the “driver board”. The smaller “motherboard” on top didn’t need to be replaced.

• Like 1