I’m choosing between Gotway m3ten, mcm5 and Tesla v2. Which of these has best rain proofing?

Inmotion has the best waterproofing of the companies, they actually bother building their wheels with the IP ratings in mind.

the others don’t say much about it. But a bit of water on the road won’t destroy them

not sure what the weather is like, when people say monsoon they’re typically referring to downpours heavy enough to cause flooding. If you’re expecting to ride in a very light rain, or just want to be okay if you get caught by an unexpected storm occasionally, those Gotway wheels should be fine. But if you’re expecting to be riding in moderate to heavy rain regularly, go with inmotion, or even alternate transportation. No wheel is known for being completely waterproof, and electronics and water do not mix. 

• Like 1

I LOVE my mten, but I know its not even close to waterproof. Ive ridden it in light rain and on wet roads. It constantly gets dropped in the mud when it spins out. But I'm looking at how its built and I'm pretty sure that gravity and luck are why mine still works. I splash puddles in it a bit too, but I just wouldnt place any bets on it handling torrential rain or deep water on any regular basis. The good news is that its so simple in design, a tube of silicone would make it more waterproof than any current wheel out there . I'd go for whichever has the cheapest parts and you would enjoy more. I think that ALL of the ones you mentioned, COULD be fairly waterproof if you put in a few $$ and some time to make it that way. Of course, you could always just buy a showercap. Silicone the case and put it together where the inner fender seam is near the tire and call it a day...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StuartL said:

I can't speak for any of the wheels listed above but the Gotway MSX has terrible (near non-existent) waterproofing.

Have ridden literally thousands of miles on an MSX in the rain. Works just fine.

Tape over the power switch for all of these wheels and you should have no problems in the rain. I've owned Tesla and MSX, again with tons of safe miles in the rain.

1 minute ago, who_the said:

Tape over the power switch for all of these wheels and you should have no problems in the rain.

Three MSX 1600 joined us for a ride on Saturday in heavy rain and very wet ground (2-4" deep puddles).  We rode for around four hours in constant heavy rain in unforgiving off road terrain.

Two of those three MSX died with fried (black) PCBs.  The remaining one turned itself off at least once when stationary.

At least one of the two failed units was very taped up (wrapped entirely in tape) to avoid the power switch issue, the water seemed to get in from the splashes around the tyre and the PCB has no conformal coating to protect it if/when water does get in.

While I appreciate that these were extreme conditions and well out of the manufacturer's specification the other two wheels on the same ride (KS-18L and V10F) didn't have any problems at all.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I LOVE my mten, but I know its not even close to waterproof. Ive ridden it in light rain and on wet roads. It constantly gets dropped in the mud when it spins out. But I'm looking at how its built and I'm pretty sure that gravity and luck are why mine still works. I splash puddles in it a bit too, but I just wouldnt place any bets on it handling torrential rain or deep water on any regular basis. The good news is that its so simple in design, a tube of silicone would make it more waterproof than any current wheel out there . I'd go for whichever has the cheapest parts and you would enjoy more. I think that ALL of the ones you mentioned, COULD be fairly waterproof if you put in a few $$ and some time to make it that way. Of course, you could always just buy a showercap. Silicone the case and put it together where the inner fender seam is near the tire and call it a day...

Is there any instructional videos of this on YouTube?

About that inmotion v10F I think I read about @HelRider ‘s V10F died on their road trip in Finland because of rain. 

It’s weird because my one and only wheel Ninebot C+ never had any issues with rain and that was one of the OG euc’s. You would think that a little bit of rain shouldn’t be an issue anymore.

4 hours ago, Viktiga said:

Is there any instructional videos of this on YouTube?

About that inmotion v10F I think I read about @HelRider ‘s V10F died on their road trip in Finland because of rain. 

It’s weird because my one and only wheel Ninebot C+ never had any issues with rain and that was one of the OG euc’s. You would think that a little bit of rain shouldn’t be an issue anymore.

Not that I know of. I had my mten open to cover some gay looking lights and it was VERY easy to do. There isnt much to it at all really. If i were to be a rain rider, I'd just pop it open as if i were changing a tire. Once open, I'd lay a seam of QUALITY silcone where the seam is on the inner fender wheel. Put it back together and ride baby ride. If you were ni the usa, I'd say not to fret as e-wheels finds us cheap parts, should the need arise. Good luck regardless which wheel you choose!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

well tesla since it has the top mounted board.... no gotway wheels have any weatherproofing measures whatsoever though.... kingsong is better, and inmotion is best for water... however, you can just buy a waterproof backpack cover and put it over the euc lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Not that I know of. I had my mten open to cover some gay looking lights and it was VERY easy to do. There isnt much to it at all really. If i were to be a rain rider, I'd just pop it open as if i were changing a tire. Once open, I'd lay a seam of QUALITY silcone where the seam is on the inner fender wheel. Put it back together and ride baby ride. If you were ni the usa, I'd say not to fret as e-wheels finds us cheap parts, should the need arise. Good luck regardless which wheel you choose!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've 2 of your chosen 3, the Mten3 & Tesla V2 & have zero issues with water issues. That said, I don't much ride in the rain mainly coz I really don't enjoy riding in the rain but I've gone thru puddles & itty bitty stuff like that with nary a problem on both of them. I'm also somewhat lucky as my locale is more famed for its dryness than wet unless one counts the white fluffy stuff but by then, riding season is over.

I think most if not all of the well known wheels are water/splash resistant (IP5x certified or otherwise) & NOT waterproof.

• Like 1