Is a trolley handle safe for a beginner?

glorat

I've just installed a trolley handle on my Ninebot One C with the purpose of not having to bend down so much or picking it up when moving it around in places I can't ride. I installed it using the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhRa72l-E9Q by SpeedyFeet. Great instructions!

However, I'm having second thoughts about keeping it.

Firstly, I installed it on the front but I realise that front on wall collisions for my Ninebot is still a regular occurence in my learning phase. (I myself am fine because I've usually hopped off first). So far, head on collisions are little problem because the foam padding has been effective at preventing real damage. However, it looks like the solid trolley handle attachment will take the impact now.

I've just realised it is possible to install the trolley handle to the rear of the Ninebot so hopefully it doesn't suffer the front impact problem. But I haven't seen people do this. Does it work? As a regular sudden dismounter still, I'd be particularly worried about catching it with my legs on dismount and tripping over it.

I'm wondering if it is better I get good and confident at riding before I install this handle.

What do you all think?

6 hours ago, glorat said:

I'm wondering if it is better I get good and confident at riding before I install this handle.

What do you all think?

I would definitely get used to riding before installing the handle. After all, you shouldn't be thinking about using it in public quite yet, no need to wheel it around :P 

Go to an empty parking garage, an empty tennis court, a hallway, or somewhere else to practice. My dorm has a perfect narrow carpeted hallway that I learned how to ride in.

Good luck!

I don't have a trolley handle, many people on this forum said it's not good quality. However I have a harness line (something used by windsurfers) that is helpful. I even attached a bike front light to it ! I'll test this light setup tomorrow. If I lose control of the EUC, I can grab the harness line before the EUC falls.

Now when buying a harness line, take care to chose the right one. It should not be too long. It should be as rigid as possible. And sometimes my harness line slips out of the handle (rear fixation only). I still have no solution for that.

If you are really beginner, don't use a harness/trolley at all, train in a safe area and retract the handle. If you fall often, the handle might break. As a beginner, best is to leave it retracted while riding.

Learning is sometimes hard, but at the end it's quite fun :)

IMG_20151128_193507.jpg

IMG_20151128_193632.jpg

@Gimlet You might be right, but some people reporting broken handle use an early-production device, so I hope they improved since then. And I guess the harness line does not create more stress than a more "regular" use of the handle. I also hope it's possible to replace the handle if needed. Some people report it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu5V961H4fg

• 2 weeks later...

Roue, Is it possible to flush the harness line to the side of the bot ( gray battery cover)  still attached to the handle? That way you don't have to ride with raised harness line  touching the crotch. When needed you just rotate the harness line to UP position. Can you post a pic with that configuration please?

Archived